Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kevin Durant vs George Gervin

I have no beef in this discussion. Durant has already accomplished a lot at only 21. BUT, my god, those that want to rank a player who has only played three seasons, with a long-time career star are being ridiculous.

Let's have this debate 5-10 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by joyner82
    Durant at 21 put up 30 a game on 20 shots or

Gervin averaged over 30 twice in his career and needed 25 FGA to get it done.

During the heart of his prime he posted 29.6 ppg and needed 21.9 FGA to get it done. That was his most efficient 28+ ppg season.

Also Gervin played on teams that were always 1st or 2nd in the league in pace/ppg. Durant is on a team that is primarily defensive minded which makes his numbers even more ridiculous.
    Durant averaged a 3 pointer and a half with 10 fts. Gervin .1 3's and only over 8 fts once.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I have no beef in this discussion. Durant has already accomplished a lot at only 21. BUT, my god, those that want to rank a player who has only played three seasons, with a long-time career star are being ridiculous.

Let's have this debate 5-10 years from now.
    I remember after his fith season, kids were ranking Wade over Drexler and Gervin. Some had him 3 or 4 behind MJ, Kobe and some had him over West, lol.

Banned

Shaqattack this is a nice comparison, much more logical than comparing him to Lebron or Kobe, because as you said, Durant is not a playmaker. I guess you already know that, but dont give up on this thread just because biased homers like joyner are insecure enough to not allow this comparison. Not even close? what a joke.

As I see it right now, I still think Gervin is the better scorer than any version of Durant we have seen yet (notice the word "yet"), better rebounder Durant? well not much, its something tied to me or at least only slightly better Kevin.

My intuition tells me Durant will end up being the better player, but as of now, I see George being the most decisive superstar, just see the scoring stats.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
    Shaqattack this is a nice comparison, much more logical than comparing him to Lebron or Kobe, because as you said, Durant is not a playmaker. I guess you already know that, but dont give up on this thread just because biased homers like joyner are insecure enough to not allow this comparison. Not even close? what a joke.

As I see it right now, I still think Gervin is the better scorer than any version of Durant we have seen yet (notice the word "yet"), better rebounder Durant? well not much, its something tied to me or at least only slightly better Kevin.

My intuition tells me Durant will end up being the better player, but as of now, I see George being the most decisive superstar, just see the scoring stats.
    Alex English is another good comparison as they both were big, lanky Small Forwards.

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Durant averaged a 3 pointer and a half with 10 fts. Gervin .1 3's and only over 8 fts once.
    There is a stat that factors all of these shots together and scales them. It's called TS%. Durant's 3rd year destroys Gervin's best year in TS%. Durant is the more efficient scorer.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

every time I see the name "george gervin" there's only one thing in my mind : Finger roll!

0:10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5liYhD-ads

Decent playground baller rfoster24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Gervin was one of the greatest scorers of his era. Durant would have to have some spectacular seasons to come close to being compared with him

Ok, be honest every1. How many of you guys were actually older than 7 years old when this guy played in his prime. Cuz ppl always compare older players and i guaran-fukin-tee that very few ppl on this website ever watched a live game of bill russell. Everyone acts like they know everybody though.

Like honestly Russell prolly quit playing prolly b4 the 70s. Youd have to be 40 to be alive and 45-50 years old (at the very least, I didn't start watchin basketball on a regular basis until i was like 11), and I know there aren't a bunch of fugin 50 year olds on here callin each dick sucking trolls and shit.
    Last edited by rfoster24; 07-25-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Value Ape.

I really like Durant, but for christ sake, give the kid some time before comparing him to the ice man. Let him build up a resume.

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    I really like Durant, but for christ sake, give the kid some time before comparing him to the ice man. Let him build up a resume.
    sit back and watch him get his MVP next season
    Last edited by Bigsmoke; 07-25-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    sit back and watch him get his MVP next seasobn
    Would not surprise me a bit.

I see a prime tmac/Dirk hybrid which is what everyone thougt he'd be.

Mcgrady was a scoring champ. Durant is a big though with a 3 point stroke. He can put the ball on the floor though, more like tmac than Dirk.

I don't know much about gervin. But Durant is one hell of a shooter.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joyner82
    Durant's 3rd season vs Gervin's best season
    [CODE]
    Player FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    Gervin 13.1 24.9 .528 0.4 1.3 .314 6.5 7.6 .852 2.0 3.2 5.2 2.6 1.4 1.0 3.3 2.7 33.1
    Durant 9.7 20.3 .476 1.6 4.3 .365 9.2 10.2 .900 1.3 6.3 7.6 2.8 1.4 1.0 3.3 2.1 30.1[/CODE]

[CODE]
    Player PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
    Gervin 24.0 .587 .536 5.7 8.9 7.3 11.0 1.6 1.4 10.3 31.7 115 110 9.3 1.3 10.6 0.173
    Durant 26.2 .607 .514 3.8 17.9 11.0 13.5 1.8 1.9 11.7 32.0 118 104 11.1 5.0 16.1 0.238[/CODE]

Durant dominates him across the board like I said. The only thing Gervin did more of was shoot.

60.7 TS vs 58.7
    26.2 PER vs 24.0 PER
    .238 WSp48 vs .173 WSp48

Comparison is a joke

How is that domination across the board? Gervin clearly scored 3 more PPG, only attempted 2-3 more shots, and shot a 53% FG%.

Sure Durant has a better TS%, but uh, you forget that when you brick more shots, the other team rebounds the ball more and gets a chance to score. TS% doesn't factor the extra possessions for the other team in, which = not a good stat to bring out. 3pt shots especially lead to the most defensive rebounds of any shot.

All of Durant's extra bricked shots cancel out his extra couple rebounds since he bricks a couple more shots per game (takes 2 more threes per game which = high chance of possession change)

Durant might become better than Gervin, but right now he isn't. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Why Gervin though? Why not Dantley or Bernard King?
    Gervin and KD had similar playing styles. Dantley and King were different types of players, both much more physical than the first two.

I agree that the comparison would be much better in 10 years, but right off the bat I'd say that KD will end up being a much better rebounder than the Iceman, but the roles on their teams is different.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Gervin may be a legend but Durant is a far better defender and nearly as good as a scorer. Durant FTW.