Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Bill Russell Vertical Leap

nba players are pridefull guys, if one of them could do it, i think they would have told the world by now, if shaq could do it, we would definetly know about it already

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster24
    If you mean by a higher vertical than all of those guys a lower vertical than all of those guys, then yes he had a higher vertical than all of those guys.

Chacha don't lie my *****.

www.chacha.com/question/how-high-is-shaq's-vertical

Shaq 32"
    Kobe 38"
    Wade 36"
    Penny Hardaway. couldn't find.

You're using some site no one has ever heard of...

I'm using official NBA pre draft records. Shaq has a 36 inch vertical, and Wade's isn't 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont think you have one bit of evidence saying he cant...other than you not thinking he could. Is it an impossibly high jump?
    How much do you love yourself? Seriously?

I don't have a bit of evidence? Where's Russell's?

"Uh... yeah, I could touch it"...

Well shit, so can I. No evidence saying I can't.

Travis Outlaw is 6'9, the same height as Russell, and James White is 6'8, an inch shorter. James White, the highest jumper in basketball we've ever seen, with a full run up cannot touch the top of the backboard. Keep in mind, the guy has a bigger wingspan than MJ, and it'd probably put him at around the same standing reach as Bill Russell. But no, Russell from the 60's could get that top of the backboard, especially by "standing straight underneath the ring and jumping"...

If you're confused as to whether he was talking about regulation backboards, forget about it, use the "eyes over the ring" account. No way in hell, nor is he even close.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Russell was listed 6'9'' or 10 and was measured barefoot as everyone was then. He would probably be called 6'11'' the way they do it now. In shoes hes 6'11'' or 10. which wouldnt matter if we are talking real heights but we are talking distance to something so it does. And at his height hes only 39 inches from headlevel which is not an amazingly high jump for anyone with his athletic background. Plenty of guys have one step verticals in that range. Including guys roughly his size like Josh Smith(6'9'' isnt he? Or 10?), mcdyess, and marcus haislip. Perhaps Howard. Its hard to call BS on that one to me. 39 inches wouldnt be the highest id seen someone jump in person. They were nowhere near his size....but ive see na jump that high. Its rare. Its not superhuman. For a highjumper no less?

And you asking me for evidence to disprove things nobody has any evidence of aside from eye witnesses...and everyone who saw the things in question(especially wilt ones) are called liars.

And James white isnt the highest jumper ive seen. Hes the best one footed leaper ive seen when lends itself to distance not vertical in a basketball sense. He was a good high jumper I believe but nobody is saying he cant jump. Im saying hes shorter than Russell and ive seen him damn close. Same for outlaw. I dont think its absurd to say someone 6'10'' or more in shoes who is an olympic level high jumper can get a few inches over Travis Outlaw or touch the top of a backboard we have no evidence was regulation or not.

Just seem odd for the first assumption to be that hes lying.....when hes saying something totally possible.

We arent talking about Earl the Goat who was like 6'2'' or 3 being said to win a bet by taking a dollar off the backboard. We would be talking a vertical well into a 50s or something. Which again..is not impossible. But its hard to assume it was done.

Russell? wilt? Guys the size they were with olympic/ncaa champ level high jumping backgrounds?

We are talking about something outside the realm of possibility and there is just no evidence to suggest it isnt true.

And if you said you had done it...and I had proof you were near 7 feet tall, long armed, and you qualified for the olympic team as a high jumper...

I wouldnt call BS then either.

If you said you were 5'10''....id need to see some footage.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 07-27-2010 at 11:15 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    How much do you love yourself? Seriously?

I don't have a bit of evidence? Where's Russell's?

"Uh... yeah, I could touch it"...

Well shit, so can I. No evidence saying I can't.

Travis Outlaw is 6'9, the same height as Russell, and James White is 6'8, an inch shorter. James White, the highest jumper in basketball we've ever seen, with a full run up cannot touch the top of the backboard. Keep in mind, the guy has a bigger wingspan than MJ, and it'd probably put him at around the same standing reach as Bill Russell. But no, Russell from the 60's could get that top of the backboard, especially by "standing straight underneath the ring and jumping"...

If you're confused as to whether he was talking about regulation backboards, forget about it, use the "eyes over the ring" account. No way in hell, nor is he even close.
    Thank you, this is much more logical than most of the posts.

Why is it that NONE of the athletes in the NBA in the last 40 years can do it, yet there are claims of 4-5 players from the 60's doing it and people believe it?

The burden of proof is not on us to prove they can't, if you claim you can do something you better have some evidence.

I've seen Dwight touch 12'6", that's still 6 inches short.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

Why is it that NONE of the athletes in the NBA in the last 40 years can do it, yet there are claims of 4-5 players from the 60's doing it and people believe it?

The burden of proof is not on us to prove they can't, if you claim you can do something you better have some evidence.

Russ body fram was more of Larry Nance type than Dwight, and Nance can get pretty damn close.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

That's NONSENSE and you KNOW it. There is very little footage available on Wilt nor Russell. If we had to have VIDEO proof, then 99% of written history would be worthless.

I'm sure Russell was capable of 13 ft. A WORLD-CLASS high jumper. And we have RESPECTED EYE-WITNESS accounts of Chamberlain doing it. We also have RULES put in place to PREVENT what was COMMONLY accepted...that Wilt could dunk FTs. AND, we have a 12 ft rim in at the SAME university that Chamberlain attended, at the SAME time he was there. I won't bother looking it up, now, but either Psileas or Abe posted a link to a story written by the Kansas newspaper stating that Wilt was dunking on it back then, too.

The burden of proof is on those that would question what is written in the sport's history books...and PLASTERED everywhere on the internet. Where are all those that actually witnessed Wilt (and Russell) who would DISPUTE what is commonly accepted?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    That's NONSENSE and you KNOW it. There is very little footage available on Wilt nor Russell. If we had to have VIDEO proof, then 99% of written history would be worthless.

I'm sure Russell was capable of 13 ft. A WORLD-CLASS high jumper. And we have RESPECTED EYE-WITNESS accounts of Chamberlain doing it. We also have RULES put in place to PREVENT what was COMMONLY accepted...that Wilt could dunk FTs. AND, we have a 12 ft rim in at the SAME university that Chamberlain attended, at the SAME time he was there. I won't bother looking it up, now, but either Psileas or Abe posted a link to a story written by the Kansas newspaper stating that Wilt was dunking on it back then, too.

The burden of proof is on those that would question what is written in the sport's history books...and PLASTERED everywhere on the internet. Where are all those that actually witnessed Wilt (and Russell) who would DISPUTE what is commonly accepted?
    No it's not nonsense. I'm not going to believe something that sounds ridiculous and there's no PROOF to back it up. Stories are exaggerated, particularly when there's no way to disprove them, just like fishing stories.

Why should I believe that Wilt, Russell, Gus Johnson and Connie Hawkins are the 4 most athletic players ever and they all played 40+ years ago? That sounds pretty ridiculous.

If these stories were true, those players would be FAR bigger freaks of nature than Jordan, Dr. J, Dominique, Lebron, David Robinson, Shaq, Dwight Howard, Vince Carter ect.

And Wilt's college coach set up the 12 foot rim because the coach wanted the league to make that the standard. Wilt was the one who claims he could dunk on it, he didn't set up the 12 foot rim for Wilt.

Banned

Well Russell is the greatest center of all-time, maybe behind Kareem. But definitely Top 3 and ahead of Shaq.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    Well Russell is the greatest center of all-time, maybe behind Kareem. But definitely Top 3 and ahead of Shaq.
    Will you ever quit with this agenda to just disagree with everything I say? Half of your posts now aren't even relevant to the topic like this one.

NBA rookie of the year

I'm surprised no one ever talks about David Robinson doing or trying this. He always seemed capable of something like that.

3-time NBA All-Star

You want Wilt "myths?"

Wilt was a loser. ONE losing season, and in that season he had arguably the greatest individual season in NBA HISTORY. He played in 13 playoffs. He went to 12 Conference Finals. He went to SIX Finals. In FIVE of his post-seasons, his teams lost a game seven...four of them by NINE points...COMBINED. He played on Six 50 win teams. He played on FOUR 60 win teams. And he anchored perhaps the two greatest teams in NBA history, and led them to two titles.

Wilt was a choker. He was NEVER outplayed in the post-season by ANY opposing center. Yes, the great Russell occasionally outplayed him in individual games, but not in entire series. He faced a HOF center in 112 of 160 post-season games, and either outplayed them or dominated them in the vast majority. He was NEVER outrebounded in ONE post-season series...not ONE...and against the likes of Russell, Thurmond, and Kareem. He was only outshot in ONE, and that was by a slim margin (and his opposing center missed some 100 shots more than he did.) If anything Wilt played BRILLIANTLY in the vast majority of his post-seasons.

Russell "owned" Wilt. Completely false. Chamberlain outscored Russell in 132 of their 142 H2H games. Wilt had FIVE games of 50+ against Russell (including a high game of 62.) Wilt held a 24-0 edge in 40+ point games. Russell scored 30+ points against Wilt THREE times (with a high of 37.) However, Wilt outscored Russell in each of those three games. Wilt held a 92-42-8 edge in H2H rebounding. Chamberlain not only outscored Russell in EVERY post-season series, he also outrebounded Russell in EVERY post-season series. Wilt held a 7-1 edge in 40+ rebound games, which included a 55 rebound game (BTW, Russell's high against Wilt was an even 40.) Chamberlain even set a playoff record of 41...against Russell. He also held a staggering 23-4 edge in 35+ rebound games. In terms of shooting, in the games that we actually have a percentage, Wilt holds a commanding edge. In my research, I would estimate that Wilt shot better than 50% against Russell in his career...and that Russell may not have shot much better than 40% against Wilt (several post-season below 40% BTW.) I have posted some 40 games in which Wilt just CRUSHED Russell. There were very few games where Russell even had a marginal statistical edge over Wilt.

Wilt was a selfish "stats padder." Yes, Wilt was proud of his stats. BUT, look at how many times in his career that he changed his game for the so-called benefit of the team (even when his sacrifice resulted in a playoff loss...ala the '68-69 Finals.) Had Wilt been totally interested in scoring, you can bet that MJ would be looking at a career deficit of over 5 ppg to Wilt, maybe more.

All Wilt did was dunk on helpless 6-6 uncoordinated, wimpy, white centers, and that he had no offensive skills. First of all, Wilt faced TWELVE HOF centers in his career (and 70% of his playoff games were against them.) I have named them all before, so I won't bother now...but in any case, he either outplayed, or crushed, them all. As far as his skills..no less than the legendary Red Holzman made the comment that when Wilt entered the NBA he had a good outside shot. Of course, there is VIDEO footage which CONFIRMS that on Youtube. Wilt had 15+ ft range with both a jump shot, and a bank shot. He also had a sweeping hook, and a myriad of post moves that included his deadly finger-roll. Of course, the BURDEN of PROOF now rests on those pundits to PROVE that Wilt did NOT have those skills. Good luck with that...

Those are the REAL myths...not these RIDICULOUS assaults on what has been COMMON KNOWLEDGE...that Wilt was easily touching the top pf backboards, and bench-pressing 500+ lbs.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    You want Wilt "myths?"

Wilt was a loser. ONE losing season, and in that season he had arguably the greatest individual season in NBA HISTORY. He played in 13 playoffs. He went to 12 Conference Finals. He went to SIX Finals. In FIVE of his post-seasons, his teams lost a game seven...four of them by NINE points...COMBINED. He played on Six 50 win teams. He played on FOUR 60 win teams. And he anchored perhaps the two greatest teams in NBA history, and led them to two titles.

Wilt was a choker. He was NEVER outplayed in the post-season by ANY opposing center. Yes, the great Russell occasionally outplayed him in individual games, but not in entire series. He faced a HOF center in 112 of 160 post-season games, and either outplayed them or dominated them in the vast majority. He was NEVER outrebounded in ONE post-season series...not ONE...and against the likes of Russell, Thurmond, and Kareem. He was only outshot in ONE, and that was by a slim margin (and his opposing center missed some 100 shots more than he did.) If anything Wilt played BRILLIANTLY in the vast majority of his post-seasons.

Russell "owned" Wilt. Completely false. Chamberlain outscored Russell in 132 of their 142 H2H games. Wilt had FIVE games of 50+ against Russell (including a high game of 62.) Wilt held a 24-0 edge in 40+ point games. Russell scored 30+ points against Wilt THREE times (with a high of 37.) However, Wilt outscored Russell in each of those three games. Wilt held a 92-42-8 edge in H2H rebounding. Chamberlain not only outscored Russell in EVERY post-season series, he also outrebounded Russell in EVERY post-season series. Wilt held a 7-1 edge in 40+ rebound games, which included a 55 rebound game (BTW, Russell's high against Wilt was an even 40.) Chamberlain even set a playoff record of 41...against Russell. He also held a staggering 23-4 edge in 35+ rebound games. In terms of shooting, in the games that we actually have a percentage, Wilt holds a commanding edge. In my research, I would estimate that Wilt shot better than 50% against Russell in his career...and that Russell may not have shot much better than 40% against Wilt (several post-season below 40% BTW.) I have posted some 40 games in which Wilt just CRUSHED Russell. There were very few games where Russell even had a marginal statistical edge over Wilt.

Wilt was a selfish "stats padder." Yes, Wilt was proud of his stats. BUT, look at how many times in his career that he changed his game for the so-called benefit of the team (even when his sacrifice resulted in a playoff loss...ala the '68-69 Finals.) Had Wilt been totally interested in scoring, you can bet that MJ would be looking at a career deficit of over 5 ppg to Wilt, maybe more.

All Wilt did was dunk on helpless 6-6 uncoordinated, wimpy, white centers, and that he had no offensive skills. First of all, Wilt faced TWELVE HOF centers in his career (and 70% of his playoff games were against them.) I have named them all before, so I won't bother now...but in any case, he either outplayed, or crushed, them all. As far as his skills..no less than the legendary Red Holzman made the comment that when Wilt entered the NBA he had a good outside shot. Of course, there is VIDEO footage which CONFIRMS that on Youtube. Wilt had 15+ ft range with both a jump shot, and a bank shot. He also had a sweeping hook, and a myriad of post moves that included his deadly finger-roll. Of course, the BURDEN of PROOF now rests on those pundits to PROVE that Wilt did NOT have those skills. Good luck with that...

Those are the REAL myths...not these RIDICULOUS assaults on what has been COMMON KNOWLEDGE...that Wilt was easily touching the top pf backboards, and bench-pressing 500+ lbs.
    How are the first 5 paragraphs relevant to this thread and how is the ridiculous 500+ pound bench press claim relevant?

Sure there are plenty of accounts of Wilt and Russell doing things. Like fighting mountain lions with his bare hands or making change at the top of the backboard, sleeping with 20,000 women, could have beat up world champion and top 5 boxer of all time Muhammad Ali and that Ali was in fact scared of him lol...

I guess we should believe all these because of accounts from the past...

Oh, here is a fun fact as well.

James White, who's only an inch or two shorter than Bill Russell recorded a jump 8 inches higher than Russels best, can't touch the backboard, though Russell can.

Amazing.

There we go. Case closed. Stop posting Kblaze, jlauber and PHILA you look stupid. More stupid than usual.