Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Scalebrine DESTROYS Boston's best street ballers

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I wonder if we took the best college players and put them against the role players of the NBA though? Now THAT one I think a lot of the college players would win.
    Definitely. The first video is a great example of how one-on-one works. I think we could all comfortably say Brian Scalabrine was way, way better at the game of basketball than the Syracuse walk-on. However, if Scalabrine shot as cold as he did while Matt got unusually hot, we could have been looking at a different outcome, but it wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of how good Brian is in comparison to that guy.

One-on-one is a very limited scope of things. Even if you're normally a great player, if you miss a few shots you normally make and your opponent is at least not the worst player ever in comparison to you, it could spell trouble.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Definitely. The first video is a great example of how one-on-one works. I think we could all comfortably say Brian Scalabrine was way, way better at the game of basketball than the Syracuse walk-on. However, if Scalabrine shot as cold as he did while Matt got unusually hot, we could have been looking at a different outcome, but it wouldn't have changed a thing in terms of how good Brian is in comparison to that guy. One-on-one is a very limited scope of things.
    Agreed. In other words 1 on 1 doesn't mean shit in a 5 on 5 sport. I guess it's more satisfying to beat them up 1 on 1 though to a guy getting trolled on Twitter.

Good High School Starter Ken_Masters's Avatar

I consider myself a very good one on one player, and when playing a game of 21 i usually win or come close to winning. However, in a game of 5 on 5 i'm terrible. I don't know how to play with others, and i never take over and lead my team to wins. This is why i have more appreciation for guys who can dominate in a 5 on 5 because it takes more effort to play well individually while also leading your team to a win.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Nice.

I don't know where the hell they got that second guy though? I can sort of see the others to do decent in a pickup game, but that second guy was god awful.
    I surely didn't mistake the second guy for a college basketball player, but it didn't look like he was a stranger to the game of basketball though. He's not going to be the king of any high level street courts, but I thought he might be a solid representation of the "everyman" out there: the guy who plays ball a lot, stands about 6'4''ish and has some skills but is not elite.

I thought he best represented the issues the very vast majority of us would all be facing if we were to have a one-on-one showdown with Brian Scalabrine. For starters, it looked like the 2nd guy came to the realization right off the bat that his opponent (Scalabrine) was 6'9'' 250. Right away that'd be one of the top 5 largest players I've ever competed against in my life, likely the same for Jake (the 2nd guy). As such, I think that guy realized he wasn't going to be able to overpower Scal en route to the basket. Further, Brian surely isn't slow on his feet in comparison to normal folk. As a result, that second fellow seemed to settle for a lot of jumpers, which also seemed rushed. My guess is he was not used to trying to shoot over a 6'9'' NBA player and was worried he would have his jumper blocked if he didn't rush.

The bigger issue was defense, in my opinion. I'm 6'4'' 170, so I could see myself in this guy just in terms of defense. What would I do with someone like Brian Scalabrine standing on the arc in triple threat? If I give him even minimal space, he'll rise and pull - just as he did with Jake. But the minute I closed space off enough to not allow him to shoot over my small frame, he'd only need a half a step in order to put himself in position to just lower his shoulder, shield me off, and finish at the rim with a minimally contested layup.

Size alone would be the biggest quandary for 99% of the folks who'd want to face Brian Scalabrine in one-on-one.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-22-2013 at 06:22 PM.

NBA Superstar

Separately, the third opponent didn't seem to do a bad job. He apparently played minor league ball overseas and had a D-League tryout but did not make it through. Again though, he was 6'2'', so he was in trouble from the start, though he played Scalabrine tough, pushing Scal on defense like he was an offensive lineman. The issue again though, was the height and weight advantage. Both players seemed to miss their first five shots a piece, but Brian always had the ability to shoot over the top when he wanted.

I think I personally would have struggled with two things: the NBA three-point line and the 10-second shot clock. You could see a lot of times where players would probably just pull back out and reset if they were playing a normal game of one-on-one or 21, but had to resort to firing a desperation fallaway to beat the clock. Then again, Scalabrine had that same shot clock so all is fair.

And in terms of NBA threes, I've never had a reason to fire them except for rare occasions, and that seemed true for these guys as well. Whereas normally I have a defender guarding me at the high school or college line, being guarded at the NBA stripe by a 6'9'' guy with good feet would be double trouble, because I wouldn't be a consistent threat out there, thus allowing the defender to sag as he pleased.

I said this would happen and received like 8 negs

he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

Scalabrine didn't exactly dominate

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    I was referring only to his first matchup when I made the "He didn't exactly dominate" remark. Yes, he won by a large margin (11-3) but it was more of a grind than it was a dominant display of power. He muscled home his first five shots, but then missed seven of his next ten. Scalabrine was unquestionably the better player, but he didn't make that first matchup look like a cake walk.

On the flip side, I thought his first opponent had some tough luck misses out there and resorted to the step back NBA three way too much (half of his shots were NBA threes). Then again, he made a couple of tough ones, so I guess it evens out.

I think the other games went pretty quickly by comparison. The third matchup started off pretty roughly (and the 4th as well, I think) but Scalabrine was able to find a groove in short order. He missed five of his first six shots in game 3, then hit 8 of his next 10 to win.

Banned

Great Post bra !

White Mamaba For Sure

All that video did was show how bad Scalabrine is. Those guys he played against would be mediocre players at any decent park.

Was listening to Toucher and Rich this morning and they said the combined score was 55-7. I think he played another warm-up game before he took the 3v1 and the three 1v1's.

Either way, Scal ruined those dudes.

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ganja0710
    Weren't there people on this forum saying they could beat the worst player in the league? I even heard somebody say they could take Toney Douglas. Take notes, kids.
    That thread was hilarious. No one on this site would even score a basket against anyone in the NBA. LOL @ retards who actually think different.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Choken One
    That thread was hilarious. No one on this site would even score a basket against anyone in the NBA. LOL @ retards who actually think different.
    I trust most folks would be dismantled like the second guy in the video. However, every squirrel finds a nut, so I do not believe everyone would go scoreless.

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

I trust most folks would be dismantled like the second guy in the video. However, every squirrel finds a nut, so I do not believe everyone would go scoreless.
    Good point. A KAJ pray hook would fall every once in a while.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

You should here this mf'er I know. Although he was a good ball player in his day, he really believes Kobe and MJ could not guard him He said he would be too quick for them. My reply, mf'er you ain't ever seen a 6'6 dude with that type of ability and I'm pretty damn sure you are not quicker than either of them. I said if you were that good, then you should just go shit on everyone right now. But then his excuses start rolling