Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
    People who dont like Depp's character are those dealing with a perception that pirates are these mean, badass, murderers. So when they see a pirate that doesnt do these things its weird. They see a pirate who isnt cursing or has the typical scrowl when speaking its weird. Sense of humor? What? Weird again. People just dont understand what a pirate is...they sterotyped it such any pirate that does things different then what they percieve and it doesnt add up. You think of a pirate you think of an aged male missing an eye, horrible language and a bad choice of clothing. Also holding a sword lookin to slice you up.
    cartoon-like...

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
    You think of a pirate you think of an aged male missing an eye, horrible language and a bad choice of clothing. Also holding a sword lookin to slice you up.
    Hmmmm....I think of Willie Stargell

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Timmeh, if you really believe that, kill yourself... everybody is watching the movie, not only girls... everybody, the whole family...
    i didn't say that only girls were watching the movie you walking void, i said MOSTLY, other reasons are that the first movie was popular and it's a sequel

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Superman looks dumbed down compared to Spiderman/batman even. They try to force you to be fan of superman and it looks old news.

Pirates II is a mix of horror, sea adventure, and ACTION-COMEDY. It has novelty. There's something for everyone and so its gonna be a blockbuster!

The only thing I don't like about Pirates is the octopus villain and the other ghoulish effects.

owwwww

Titanic won't last much longer as the highest grossing movie, increasing ticket prices will make sure of that.

I rule the local playground PureElement's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office? This sequel is probably going to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It has an outside chance of beating Titanic for THE #1 GROSSING movie of all time.

I simply don't get it. Nothing about the movie looks appealing to me....

Can anyone explain why?
    Awesome story. Great action. Humor, excitment, even some sappy romance. AND ITS ABOUT PIRATES, I can't name one unsuccessful movie about pirates. and guys go see it for Keira Knightly (orlando Bloom for the girls).

Titanic won't last much longer as the highest grossing movie, increasing ticket prices will make sure of that
    Its lasted for almost 10 years already. And worldwide the closest movie (Lord of the rings) has only done 60% of Titanic. Titanic will be #1 for atleast 5 more years imo.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest grossed $55.8 million on its opening day, setting records for the largest opening day, the largest single day gross, and the largest Friday gross of all time. The previous record was held by Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith with $50,013,859.

The Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest opening weekend gross stands at $135,634,554 which beats the previous all time opening weekend set by Spider-Man with $114,844,116. Even taking into account the fact that ticket prices were higher for this movie than they were when Spider-Man debuted, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest still sold about 200,000 more tickets than Spider-Man did. The film is also the fastest to gross $100 million, doing so in just 2 days, as well as the fastest to gross $200 million, achieving that milestone in 8 days.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest has now grossed over $390 million worldwide and currently stands at #82 on the All Time Worldwide Highest Grossing Movies chart at Box Office Mojo.
    Source

NBA rookie of the year

Movie trends are somewhat cyclical.

I think people are a bit tired of blockbuster/popcorn films that take themselves too seriously (the Matrix sequels, the new Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Superman Returns, King Kong, etc.) and are craving something a bit more "fun".

Also "Pirates" is hardly the first huge film franchise that's been compared to a rollercoaster ride. Indiana Jones did huge box office in the 80s, I think Pirates has a similar type of appeal (though the Indiana Jones films are better).

The other reasons are casting. Johnny Depp has so much appeal across the board as this type of character. Usually guys have to drag their girlfriends to see these big "blockbuster" movies, as they tend to skew towards the male demographic.

But "Pirates" is something a girl and her girlfriends would go to see on their own anyway, without having to be dragged there by their boyfriends.

That's a big difference. Pirates appeals to the guys who want the usual summer blockbuster, but to the ladies as well. It also can play to the family audience. There really isn't a demographic it doesn't hit.

Great movie from start to finish. Can't see how anyone who likes summer blockbuster fare with a heart and great characters could feel different.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Movie trends are somewhat cyclical.

I think people are a bit tired of blockbuster/popcorn films that take themselves too seriously (the Matrix sequels, the new Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Superman Returns, King Kong, etc.) and are craving something a bit more "fun".

Also "Pirates" is hardly the first huge film franchise that's been compared to a rollercoaster ride. Indiana Jones did huge box office in the 80s, I think Pirates has a similar type of appeal (though the Indiana Jones films are better).

The other reasons are casting. Johnny Depp has so much appeal across the board as this type of character. Usually guys have to drag their girlfriends to see these big "blockbuster" movies, as they tend to skew towards the male demographic.

But "Pirates" is something a girl and her girlfriends would go to see on their own anyway, without having to be dragged there by their boyfriends.

That's a big difference. Pirates appeals to the guys who want the usual summer blockbuster, but to the ladies as well. It also can play to the family audience. There really isn't a demographic it doesn't hit.
    The Indiana Jones comparison is a good one. IJ movies were better movies, but the Pirates franchise brings a lot of humour and irony in it that alot of movies nowadays are lacking.

Also agree with the intended audience part. This is a movie that your girlfriend, parents, kids, or "boys" will enjoy. Great movie.

Superman didn't fail because people are tired of blockbuster movies, it failed because it wasn't what a Superman movie is supposed to be, that is FUN. And I'm someone who thought the movie was "good" but "good" is a dissapointment when you're dealing with a Superman movie. It took itself too seriously not realizing you can be serious AND fun.

I guarantee if the creators had made a better, more fun movie it would have performed much better at the box office.

Good High School Starter Voice of Reason's Avatar

How many redone/remade films have actually been better then the original? Hollywood seems to be trying to milk this until someone makes it big. I'm not against it but just hope we arent gonna be sitting around for more Superman movies. Waiting for him in Superman II to be a baby daddy with a drug problem. But I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to Superman, the majority here seem to think it was good not great, a dissapointment, blah. Elsewhere I heard the opposite. Gotta see it, I downloaded it on my pc, give it a try even tho the movies is probably where I should view it. Better feel.

Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office?
    Good question!
    It's doing well because of the massive marketing. All the hype it gets plays a big part. It's a film that doesnt offer anything mind opening, anything that'd make the movie historical outside being a hit. Questions were left open in the first part so audience became dependant on the sequal?

It's a film that's made to entertain those who choose to watch it, the story has elements that makes the audience feels coherence, being part of the film, dealing the same stuff in real life as the characters in the film do. Studios have employees who get their paychecks for this type of stuff and I'm not talking about producers.

Also having popular actors that especially youngsters idolize makes a big difference.

Unfortunately we live in an era where the actual content is irrelevant next to lucrative little tricks.
    Something for everyone.
    Last edited by laalaa; 07-19-2006 at 05:22 PM.