Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default What is/was your college major?

What is or was your college major? Also, what were some classes that gave you a headache taking due to it being a requirement for your major? I'm majoring in Criminal Justice, and I'm currently taking Sociology. This class is completely, the most boring, worst, class I have ever taken in my life.

I have to write a 10 page essay, on nothing.

Discuss.

College star

Default Re: What is/was your college major?

Computer Science

Never really had a 'difficult' class, I kinda just dealt with the situation

Magic Johnson

Finance/Accounting.

Our college has ACE courses, which is basically a structured list of general requirements. I have to take communications next semester, which blows.
    Last edited by LA_Showtime; 05-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Criminal Justice also. What are you planning to go into as a career?

I had to take a diversity elective that drove me nuts, North American Indians. And just as you speak of sociology being boring the teacher of this class is a regular sociology professor and put me to sleep every day. The material was hard as hell, he was the equivalent of Ben Stein, yet our 3 exams were all take home (LOL). I got a B+.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Psychology. Research Methods was probably my toughest undergrad course that was required for it. Behavioral Neuroscience was probably the toughest in grad school (unless you want to count Dissertation as a course).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Finance.
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Finance/Accounting.

Our college has ACE courses, which is basically a structured list of general requirements. I have to take communications next semester, which blows.
    Hey you should be happy about that. Taking bullshit gen eds like communications was much easier than taking the upper level finance classes. At least you can chill for the semester.

Quote Originally Posted by StateProperty
    Criminal Justice also. What are you planning to go into as a career?

I had to take a diversity elective that drove me nuts, North American Indians. And just as you speak of sociology being boring the teacher of this class is a regular sociology professor and put me to sleep every day. The material was hard as hell, he was the equivalent of Ben Stein, yet our 3 exams were all take home (LOL). I got a B+.
    Honestly, I don't know what I plan on doing as a career. Possibly a paralegal? I don't know, what are some choices that your trying to go towards in a career? My professor is blind, so he speeches to us 24-7 continuously talking. He's a great guy though.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Finance.

Hey you should be happy about that. Taking bullshit gen eds like communications was much easier than taking the upper level finance classes. At least you can chill for the semester.
    I'll be in the communications class AND upper level finance courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Psychology. Research Methods was probably my toughest undergrad course that was required for it. Behavioral Neuroscience was probably the toughest in grad school (unless you want to count Dissertation as a course).
    same

it seemed the professors assumed we would pick up spss with little or no guidance. the application in research methods was literally the only portion of the major i didn't like

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Honestly, I don't know what I plan on doing as a career. Possibly a paralegal? I don't know, what are some choices that your trying to go towards in a career? My professor is blind, so he speeches to us 24-7 continuously talking. He's a great guy though.
    I've got 3 semesters left until I graduate. I've got a 4month paid internship coming up with the US Marshals, and I get a review at the end where they let me know if I become a deputy and go to their boot camp. If that fails I'd still like to get into a federal agency: ICE, US Marshals, DEA, FBI etc.

You should look into some internships to see where your interest lies. I at first wanted to work in probation but realized it would be too boring for me. I need to be out in the field.

Where are you going to school? Certain internships are only open to certain schools too.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SourGrapes
    same

it seemed the professors assumed we would pick up spss with little or no guidance. the application in research methods was literally the only portion of the major i didn't like
    I actually didn't mind the SPSS part. Heck, I was a TA for Behavioral Statistics and had to teach SPSS the same semester I was in Research Methods. I just hate setting up and writing as if I am writing for a peer reviewed journal.

They taught you SPSS and not SAS or R?

Back when I studied chemical engineering the hardest were in this order fluid dynamics, analytic chemistry and heat transfer. Nowadays in economics it's probably econometrics, advanced macro and economic growth.

Quote Originally Posted by StateProperty
    I've got 3 semesters left until I graduate. I've got a 4month paid internship coming up with the US Marshals, and I get a review at the end where they let me know if I become a deputy and go to their boot camp. If that fails I'd still like to get into a federal agency: ICE, US Marshals, DEA, FBI etc.

You should look into some internships to see where your interest lies. I at first wanted to work in probation but realized it would be too boring for me. I need to be out in the field.

Where are you going to school? Certain internships are only open to certain schools too.
    That sounds great. I have an internship I have to fulfill at the end of everything, I would have to need to finish all of my classes and have all of the credits before doing so. I attend Laguardia CC, in NY. Is it guarantee you'll get a job with a degree in Criminal Justice?

Decent college freshman

I study math and my hardest course has been topology