Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Vertical

Default My Vertical (Help)

I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
    When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
    When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
    When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
    (Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
    Do you know more or less my vertical?

Saw a basketball once

Thumbs up Re: My Vertical

what up guys Ive been doin some training called the jump revolution...been on it for 2 months and gained 8 inches so far...check it out!

www.thejumprevolution.com

Default Re: My Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by liljohnnywall
    can you dunk?
    no shit sherlock if he said he can touch 5-6 inches above the rim, you think he can dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by IInvented
    no shit sherlock if he said he can touch 5-6 inches above the rim, you think he can dunk?
    Yea that doesn't mean he can dunk... quite the opposite actually. You have to be about 7 inches above the rim to dunk and if you are 5-6 inches above the rim without a ball... chances are that he is only 2-3 inches above it with on since you won't jump as high with a ball in your hand/extend as much or whatever it is.

So uh yea... maybe you should get ya facts straight before you start running someone down.

Everybody is so chill here compared to OTC
    listen to Swaggin he knows what he is talking about.

Even I was doing everything totally wrong until just 2 weeks ago. And i am already so much faster, more explosive, jump higher than I have done before. I was doing low weight high reps which is a big NO NO . all of the last 6 months when i started playing alot again. Until 2 weeks ago when i read this article on the Memphis Tigers Basketball trainer. It was the vertical workout Derrick Rose/CDR/Dorsey and all them did in college. I have only been doing it for 2 weeks and i am faster, more explosive, a better leaper then before. Basically what he said was as swaggin said.

You need 4 things to increase vert.

Power- Olympic Lifts

Strength- Not how big you are, but you actually strength output. To improve strength you need to lift a lot of weight low reps. 3-5 reps for 3 sets. Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raisers those type.

Maximum Jump effort- Plyos basically. box jumps, lunge jumps etc

Reactive Jumps- Depth Jumps, Squat Jumps .

I have been doing it for 2 weeks now 3-4 times a week. It works it really does take you to the next level athletically. Though only do it if your vertical is over 30 inch already. If it isn't do all those body weight programs until your legs are strong enough to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNErUAftz4

here are a few random clips
    Besides the pick up game which was 1.5 months ago, the rest we like 9 months ago when i just started playing ball again after stopping for 2 years, i was so not explosive like i am now especially after doing that workout the last 2 weeks. A prime example of if you don't use it you loose it. Don't stop balling for years stretches.
    Last edited by lilojmayo; 01-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Decent playground baller

k, my vertical is terrible, i can only barely touch glass on a backboard without a cutoff. probably like 15 inches? Need some help

hey lil mayo thanks for the info but i cant watch your video it says its private how can i watch it??

NBA Superstar

Default Re: My Vertical (Help)

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
    When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
    When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
    When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
    (Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
    Do you know more or less my vertical?
    I'd say you'd want to someone to help measure your standing reach. After that's been established, maybe you could measure the highest point you can reach on the backboard via two foot vertical. The difference between your standing reach and the spot on the backboard you touched would provide a vertical number.

If you want someone to eyeball it, I have a relatively short reach for my height (95'' for 6'3'') so if I took an inch off reach for every inch of height until I met your 5'9'', you'd have about an 89'' standing reach.

An estimation is that standard NBA/College backboards may begin around 9'2''. Some backboards extend even further than that. So, if you had an 89'' standing reach (with some research, that appears realistic for a player your height) and you could just graze a backboard standing at 9'2'' (or 110 inches) that would mean you have a vertical of 21 inches.

However, the variance would come in if your reach is less than 89'' (let's say 86'') and if you could reach up a 9'2'' backboard by a couple inches (say to 9'6'' or 114 inches). This would make a large difference in your vertical result (28'' instead of 21''). Long story short, you are best served measuring things out.

95 inches is 7'11... if you aren't black it's about average. I have a friend who is 6'2 and his reach is 7'10 (94 inches) ... and I'm 5'11 and have a 7'7 (91 inches) and both of us are white... So it's just and inch of reach per inch of height.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    95 inches is 7'11...it's about average. I have a friend who is 6'2 and his reach is 7'10 (94 inches) ... and I'm 5'11 and have a 7'7 (91 inches) and both of us are white... So it's just and inch of reach per inch of height.
    Sounds good to me. I was just going off of the results from a free agent camp I attended. Turns out there's 12 billion 6'3'' guards out there trying to make it. Out of all the guys the same height as me, I had the lowest standing reach, so that's where I got the idea I might be below average.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Sounds good to me. I was just going off of the results from a free agent camp I attended. Turns out there's 12 billion 6'3'' guards out there trying to make it. Out of all the guys the same height as me, I had the lowest standing reach, so that's where I got the idea I might be below average.
    Were most of them black? Are you not black? If that's the case that is your answer right there. Black people have longer arms than white people more often then not (tend to carry quite a bit less bodyfat too)... and a lot of the times they are a lot longer.

Take thee 2009 NBA combine measurements for example: Chase Budinger stands at 6'6.25 with no shoes on and a vertical reach of 8'5. Wayne Ellington was the only other player who was at least 6'4 to have a reach lower than that (6'4.25 and a 8'4 standing reach.) Then you have guys like Tyreke Evans who is 6'4 with an 8'8 vertical reach. He is more than 2 inches shorter yet has a reach 3 inches higher than Budinger. This is just one example... but it's seen over and over again. I believe this to be one of main proponents why basketball is dominated by black people. On average, they are just longer than other races, and length really helps in basketball. There are plenty of reasons though don't get me wrong, this is just one of them.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 02-10-2010 at 07:18 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

I have a really bad vertical, like 24 inches or so, and I don't have long arms... I can just barely get the rubber on the backboard posted earlier.

With that said, I'm doing the vertical jump bible programs and afterwards I plan to do vertical mastery.

Do you guys know if doing 2 programs one after the other will still provide good results? My goal is to touch rim by next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    I have a really bad vertical, like 24 inches or so, and I don't have long arms... I can just barely get the rubber on the backboard posted earlier.

With that said, I'm doing the vertical jump bible programs and afterwards I plan to do vertical mastery.

Do you guys know if doing 2 programs one after the other will still provide good results? My goal is to touch rim by next summer.
    Well just make sure you rest at least week before starting Vertical Mastery... Otherwise there is no problem with it at all. See which one you like better. You can always do programs over again too.

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

shit, i'm 6'2 and i can wrap my fingers around the rim on good days and i'm white. i'm not happy with that at all though.

Saw a basketball once

I'm 6'1" and I just started dunking this year. I can easily go up and dunk it with one hand off of one leg. I never worked on my hops, its all natural. I'm really kind of amazed because I didn't play ball for about a month. And I came back and just dunked it.