Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: #20 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Hondo probably has the best resume left. Hes an 8 time champ and at least 6 or 7 of them were as a major player. 29/9/8 player in his prime and all. but he kinda just...doesnt count. Not sure why. But he doesnt seem to count.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    what case does any of them have over Isiah Thomas or John Havlicek?

i value league mvp/finals mvp combo legends above guys who just won a finals mvp

and its easy to know who was the unofficial finals mvp before the award was givin out by going back and looking at the impact a player had.

mikan, cousy, pettit were all these types of players who were the best players in the league and the best players on championship teams

hondo might never have been the best in the league at any point in his career.

zeke was arguably never even one of the top 5 players in the league at any time of his career

magic,bird,kareem,moses,jordan were all better than him in the mid 80's... and magic/bird/jordan/hakeem/barkley were all better than him in the late 80's and early 90's

mikan may never have won an offical MVP award. but they didnt have the award until around after the time he retired

mikan would have easly won it in 1949,1950 and 1951

he would have easly won finals mvp all 5 times he won the title and made the first team all nba almost every year he played

pettit averaged 26/16 for his career
    won a title as the best player (unofficial finals mvp before the award came out )
    and was a 2 time league mvp to go along with his 10 first team all nba's

as for cousy

would have won finals mvp atleast 2 times over russell ( when looking at the playoff stats )

league mvp

6 titles

10 first team all nba's
    Last edited by kennethgriffin; 09-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Hondo probably has the best resume left. Hes an 8 time champ and at least 6 or 7 of them were as a major player. 29/9/8 player in his prime and all. but he kinda just...doesnt count. Not sure why. But he doesnt seem to count.
    not sure why eh? because pettit,mikan,cousy were bigger all time than him?

Bob Pettit.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i value league mvp/finals mvp combo legends above guys who just won a finals mvp

and its easy to know who was the unofficial finals mvp before the award was givin out by going back and looking at the impact a player had.

mikan, cousy, pettit were all these types of players who were the best players in the league and the best players on championship teams

hondo might never have been the best in the league at any point in his career.

zeke was arguably never even one of the top 5 players in the league at any time of his career

magic,bird,kareem,moses,jordan were all better than him in the mid 80's... and magic/bird/jordan/hakeem/barkley were all better than him in the late 80's and early 90's

mikan may never have won an offical MVP award. but they didnt have the award until around after the time he retired

mikan would have easly won it in 1949,1950 and 1951

he would have easly won finals mvp all 5 times he won the title and made the first team all nba almost every year he played

pettit averaged 26/16 for his career
    won a title as the best player (unofficial finals mvp before the award came out )
    and was a 2 time league mvp to go along with his 10 first team all nba's

as for cousy

would have won finals mvp atleast 2 times over russell ( when looking at the playoff stats )

league mvp

6 titles

10 first team all nba's
    but just the other day you said

C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ( arguable goat )
    F Elgin Baylor ( top 13-15 )
    C Wilt Chamberlain ( realistically top 5-6 )
    G Bob Cousy ( top 15-20 )
    F Julius Erving ( top 14-15 )
    G/F John Havlicek ( top 20 )
    C George Mikan ( top 25 )
    F Bob Pettit ( top 20 )
    G Oscar Robertson ( top 11-13 )
    C Bill Russell ( arguable goat )
    G Jerry West ( top 11-12 )
    link

so in the last couple of days you've moved Mikan ahead of Havlicek?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    That's probably cause he's not viewed as "The Man" what with Bill Russell on the team during his first 6 championships and Dave cowens on his last 2. He might be how Kobe would've been viewed if Shaq didn't decline and left LA.

Banned

Horsecock Nowitzki

-Led one of the worst supporting casts all-time to a title, winning the semi-finals,conference finals, and nba finals all as the underdog. (The first round series with Portland also had 50/50 with people picking Portland to upset them).
    -League MVP
    -NBA record for most consecutive 50 win seasons and was the unquestioned best player on every team, and also the ONLY player on every team.

I'll go with:

JOHN HAVLICEK

1 x FMVP
    8 x CHampion
    11 x All-NBA
    8 x All-Defensive
    13 x All-Star

At his peak almost averaged a 30 point triple double (29/9/8)... Hondo was the ultimate team player, one of the first point-forwards ever.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Just depends on who you ask and when. Not typing this out again so....

Hondo is the disregarded guy who really has the legacy of an all time great but nobody cares about. Boston fans voted him the best celtic of all time in the 70s...over russell. He put up straight superstar numbersi n the playoffs from the mid 60s to the mid 70s. He wasnt on some roleplayer shit most of the time. For the last 3 title runs with Russell around he put up 24/9/4, 26/9/8, and 25/10/6.

He could realistically be like a 15 time all star. He was putting up 20/5 in his second season and wasnt an all star...but he made it putting up 19/6 years later. If they had the loose definition of assists we use back then he might well have been a 29/11/9 player.

He had rings as a high scoring 6th man, rings as his teams leading scorer(though not best player), and rings when Russell was gone. He just has the bad(well...depending on how you look at it) luck of being teamed with someone to overshadow him all the time.

He won it all in college...on a team with Jerry Lucas. Guy forgotten today but he was considered one of the best players in the world for some time. Top 50 all time. All that. And a bigman...bigmen get the credit.

He then went to the NBA to be outshined by Russell.

Russell left and they draft Cowens. Another bigman to get the love. Didnt hurt that cowens was a legit superstar....plus loved because of his style of play.

John was born to be the winner in the background.

Id say he should have stuck with football where he could have gotten attention relative to his accomplishments.....but he was drafted to Cleveland. Where he of course would have been outshined by...Jim Brown.

Yes...John Havlicek was drafted by the NFL.

He put up 28 a game in the 69 finals. 27 a game in the 68 finals with 40/10/7 to close it out. He was one minute short of the NBA record for minutes in a 6 game series. He put up 26/8/5 in the 74 finals.

If they just handed finals MVP to the guy with the most points on the winning team like they do these days he would have 3 or 4 finals MVPs. With 8 rings?

Career accomplishments wise hes pretty much two elite careers in one.

He never won an mvp but he put up 28/9/8 on a 56 win team and 24/7/7 on a 68 win team. So he no doubt had MVP quality years.

I dont know if he should go in now. Not something im too passionate about. Him...Bob...Dirk..Isiah...whatever. None get an argument from me. But John is respected a lot less than he was in his day. And a number of people the basketball public might rank him over in his day get put over him these days.

What Kblaze said.

Hondo.

Zeke

I vote for Isiah Thomas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    but just the other day you said

link

so in the last couple of days you've moved Mikan ahead of Havlicek?

ya i said "I" rank havlicek top 20

the only problem here is.... this is not my top 20.... this top 20 people are voting on has some people i wouldn't put in my top 20

mikan/pettit/havlicek/cousy usually are in the 15-20 range for me

but since NONE of these guys are even on the list yet and theres only 1 spot left ... its kind of hard for me to vote for havlicek as a top 20 player since its not my top 20 right?

ya i said "I" rank havlicek top 20

the only problem here is.... this is not my top 20.... this top 20 people are voting on has some people i wouldn't put in my top 20

mikan/pettit/havlicek/cousy usually are in the 15-20 range for me

but since NONE of these guys are even on the list yet and theres only 1 spot left ... its kind of hard for me to vote for havlicek as a top 20 player since its not my top 20 right?
    I guess that's fine

what's your top 25 btw? I've seen your top 10 but I think that's it