Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am your soldier!

Default Re: Database of Rare And Interesting NBA Player Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by FindingTim
    -Shaq size 22 shoe -- that's absurd. Say you wear a size twelve, now look down at your foot. Imagine it being TEN inches longer. ridiculous.
    That's why Shaq was so durable and huge. He was insanely well proportioned to be that big and hold that much weight.

Great college starter

hand size.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23

hand size.
    Images weren't to scale (they were close though)

These are to scale using the basketball as the ground for scale:

Basketballs lined up with each other

Break of their wrists lined up with each other

I'd say the LA times has the sillhouettes pretty accurate - just because 1 dimension (length) looks closer than you'd expect doesn't mean Jordans hands wouldn't be visibly much larger in person, we're talking about a 3 dimensional object here not 1 dimensional. Using cubed law, if Jordans hands were 10% longer, and let's say 10-15% wider - plus 10% thicker than his hands would look 30-35% more massive than Kobe's. That sound about right to you?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-29-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Images weren't to scale (they were close though)

These are to scale using the basketball as the ground for scale:

Basketballs lined up with each other

Break of their wrists lined up with each other

clearly, Kobe's wrist is not flexed like Jordan's...nor is his hand on the center of the ball like Jordan's is.

Jordan's hand is clearly mammoth compared to Kobe's, length and width.

clearly, Kobe's wrist is not flexed like Jordan's...nor is his hand on the center of the ball like Jordan's is.

Jordan's hand is clearly mammoth compared to Kobe's, length and width.
    I'd say the LA times has the sillhouettes pretty accurate - just because 1 dimension (length) looks closer than you'd expect doesn't mean Jordans hands wouldn't be visibly much larger in person, we're talking about a 3 dimensional object here not 1 dimensional. Using cubed law, if Jordans hands were 10% longer, and let's say 10-15% wider - plus 10% thicker than his hands would look 30-35% more massive than Kobe's. That sound about right to you? His hands might even be 15-20% wider for all I know which would mean up close and in person his mits would look 40% bigger to the naked eye. Length doesn't tell the whole story, and ~9 inches for Kobe sounds about right for his hand length anything less would mean he has small hands for an NBA player his size. His hands aren't small, they just look small compared to MJ's
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-29-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Great college starter

I'd say the LA times has the sillhouettes pretty accurate - just because 1 dimension (length) looks closer than you'd expect doesn't mean Jordans hands wouldn't be visibly much larger in person, we're talking about a 3 dimensional object here not 1 dimensional. Using cubed law, if Jordans hands were 10% longer, and let's say 10-15% wider - plus 10% thicker than his hands would look 30-35% more massive than Kobe's. That sound about right to you? His hands might even be 15-20% wider for all I know which would mean up close and in person his mits would look 40% bigger to the naked eye. Length doesn't tell the whole story, and ~9 inches for Kobe sounds about right for his hand length anything less would mean he has small hands for an NBA player his size. His hands aren't small, they just look small compared to MJ's

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1286032658

That's at least an inch longer.

Great college starter

Phil Jackson at 55 seconds to 1:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hO8PQTjFU

[/B]

Phil Jackson at 55 seconds to 1:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hO8PQTjFU
    You don't know the other guys hand measurements. I've seen this video, I know that their difference is hand size and I know that MJ's are huge. I don't think you understand at all what ~1" difference in length can mean... are you still not understanding that it equates to ~30-40% greater overall size? Likely closest to 40 because Jordan's hands look wider in relation to length than Kobe's. I'd almost guarentee Kobe's hands aren't less than 9 inches in length

10" hands are very long

9" hands are rather typical

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...rce=All&sort=8

1 inch makes a big difference.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-29-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Great college starter

You don't know the other guys hand measurements. I've seen this video, I know that their difference is hand size and I know that MJ's are huge. I don't think you understand at all what ~1" difference in length can mean... are you still not understanding that it equates to ~30-40% greater overall size? Likely closest to 40 because Jordan's hands look wider in relation to length than Kobe's. I'd almost guarentee Kobe's hands aren't less than 9 inches in length

10" hands are very long

9" hands are rather typical

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...rce=All&sort=8

1 inch makes a big difference.

Eye test is all you need.

There is nothing here to "understand". Jordan's hands were immense, length and width compared to Kobe's.

Moving on with life.

Please remove Javale McGee from that list. He doesn't belong with those all-time greats.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Please remove Javale McGee from that list. He doesn't belong with those all-time greats.
    but he's the longest reach+wingspan player in the NBA today, I guess I could remove him though, I might put Tyson Chandler in his place since he's one of the bigger centers in the league today.

I'm going to add some PG's and a few more PF/SF's to the list next time I update it

Banned

What was Charles Barkley's weight in the 1993 season and the 1997 season?

but he's the longest reach+wingspan player in the NBA today, I guess I could remove him though, I might put Tyson Chandler in his place since he's one of the bigger centers in the league today.

I'm going to add some PG's and a few more PF/SF's to the list next time I update it
    Maybe do Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan instead?

Nobody cares about Javale McGee.

Not the rare and interesting measurements I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Not the rare and interesting measurements I was looking for.
    No no homo?