An Icon Forever

Default masonanddixon, what are your thoughts on these singers?

masonanddixon, I read your posts in the Prince/Bowie thread and thought you made some good points. I was wondering what are your thoughts on these singers/artists/groups:

Frank Sinatra

Elvis Presley

Michael Jackson

The Beatles

The Beach Boys

Marvin Gaye

Stevie Wonder

Louis Armstrong

Bing Crosby

When do you feel each were in their peak/prime and what was their best work? Also, how do they rank on your list of the best singers/groups?

Banned

Default Re: masonanddixon, what are your thoughts on these singers?

Frank Sinatra-not a fan of vocals in jazz. I emphatically do not enjoy his work

Elvis Presley-great vocalist, not much else, knew how to get the crowd rocking. Sun Sessions is his best work

Michael Jackson-production in his albums is too slick and polished for my liking and he was purely a vocalist. Thriller is his best work, but I don't really like much of his work.

The Beatles-what really needs to be said about the Beatles? They had the three best vocalists ever at the time, two of the most prolific songwriters, and expanded popular music more than anyone at the time. My favourite work of theirs is Rubber Soul if only because of Im Looking through you.

The Beach Boys-the second greatest artist of the 60s, peaked with Pet Sounds, the highest harmonic achievement in rock music history. Brian Wilson was nearly on par with the Beatles. Bonus-check out Please Let me Wonder.

Marvin Gaye-decent vocalist who played no instruments and didn't write any of his own songs. That said, Whats going on is a very good album.

Stevie Wonder-the greatest Motown artist outside of Jr Walker and the all stars. Could do it all. Favoruite albums are Innervisions and Talking Book, my favourite song of his is Golden Lady or Big Brother.

Louis Armstrong-vital figure in jazz, not my favourite trumpeter by any means and not a good vocalist but he obviously helped push jazz and was one of the founding fathers of the genre. Hot 7s is his 'must-have' recording

Bing Crosby-not much of a fan, but I can't say I know his work too well either.
    Last edited by masonanddixon; 04-25-2016 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Frank Sinatra-not a fan of vocals in jazz. I emphatically do not enjoy his work

Elvis Presley-great vocalist, not much else, knew how to get the crowd rocking. Sun Sessions is his best work

Michael Jackson-production in his albums is too slick and polished for my liking and he was purely a vocalist. Thriller is his best work, but I don't really like much of his work.

The Beatles-what really needs to be said about the Beatles? They had the three best vocalists ever at the time, two of the most prolific songwriters, and expanded popular music more than anyone at the time. My favourite work of theirs is Rubber Soul if only because of Im Looking through you.

The Beach Boys-the second greatest artist of the 60s, peaked with Pet Sounds, the highest harmonic achievement in rock music history. Brian Wilson was nearly on par with the Beatles. Bonus-check out Please Let me Wonder.

Marvin Gaye-decent vocalist who played no instruments and didn't write any of his own songs. That said, Whats going on is a very good album.

Stevie Wonder-the greatest Motown artist outside of Jr Walker and the all stars. Could do it all. Favoruite albums are Innervisions and Talking Book, my favourite song of his is Golden Lady or Big Brother.

Louis Armstrong-vital figure in jazz, not my favourite trumpeter by any means and not a good vocalist but he obviously helped push jazz and was one of the founding fathers of the genre. Hot 7s is his 'must-have' recording

Bing Crosby-not much of a fan, but I can't say I know his work too well either.
    I'm gonna need you to do some research on a few of these performers here if you're gonna speak about them. Bruh, to say Marvin Gaye doesn't play instruments is mind-boggling. I take it the only song you've heard from this man is What's Goin' On. Gaye started out as a session musician in the early days of Motown. He's the drummer for such early Motown tunes as Stevie Wonder's Fingertips and Martha & the Vandella's Dancing in the Streets. And, he damn near left Motown for control of his music. Every song after the What's Goin On Album was written by Gaye, if not by himself sometimes with writing partner Ed Townsend. And albums were usually produced by him to (Leon Ware, co-producer of I Want You LP.) He's also a pianist and plays other various percussion instruments and keyboards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I'm gonna need you to do some research on a few of these performers here if you're gonna speak about them. Bruh, to say Marvin Gaye doesn't play instruments is mind-boggling. I take it the only song you've heard from this man is What's Goin' On. Gaye started out as a session musician in the early days of Motown. He's the drummer for such early Motown tunes as Stevie Wonder's Fingertips and Martha & the Vandella's Dancing in the Streets. And, he damn near left Motown for control of his music. Every song after the What's Goin On Album was written by Gaye, if not by himself sometimes with writing partner Ed Townsend. And albums were usually produced by him to (Leon Ware, co-producer of I Want You LP.) He's also a pianist and plays other various percussion instruments and keyboards.
    I know the entire album EXTREMELY well. Wholy Holy is one of my favourite songs...but just look at the songwriting credits...nearly every song is co-written or written by someone else, and his instrumental ability is rudimentary at best. I know you want to prop him up as being more than he was because he's black, but he simply wasn't a great musical talent.

Banned

http://www.allmusic.com/album/whats-...n-mw0000651085

Not a SINGLE song of the album was written solely by Gaye.

Seriously dude, your enjoyment of good music is admirable, but your obsession with pushing all things black as more than what they are borders on derangement.

Pushing, dude you said he didn't play ANY instruments or write his own songs? I said he did play and did write either on his own or with a co-writer. Lol at not being great. He's routinely listed in most list as a top 20 artist of the Rock & Roll era.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/in-our...e-mw0000624109
    All credits are Marvin's here.

Banned

Pushing, dude you said he didn't play ANY instruments or write his own songs? I said he did play and did write either on his own or with a co-writer. Lol at not being great. He's routinely listed in most list as a top 20 artist of the Rock & Roll era.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/in-our...e-mw0000624109
    All credits are Marvin's here.
    In another topic you were trying to act like he's even remotely in the same league as the Beach Boys, which is laughable.

His piano playing is rudimentary at best and on his only great album, he wasn't the sole writer on ANY song. I said before that he was essentially a vocalist and not much else---but you're so passionate about proving me wrong...why????

How come you didn't stump for the white musicians in this topic who I also didn't like? I find that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    In another topic you were trying to act like he's even remotely in the same league as the Beach Boys, which is laughable.

His piano playing is rudimentary at best and on his only great album, he wasn't the sole writer on ANY song. I said before that he was essentially a vocalist and not much else---but you're so passionate about proving me wrong...why????

How come you didn't stump for the white musicians in this topic who I also didn't like? I find that interesting.
    I never said he was in the same league, I don't listen to the Beach Boys like I do Marvin. Other than their main hits, I don't know there music. That's why I didn't list them.

He is not just a vocalist. Someone like Jackie Wilson is a vocalist. He never written one song (or even co-wrote as you like to put it.) That is a pure vocalist. Someone who doesn't have any say-so on what goes on behind the scenes. Marvin was a writer for most of his post What's Goin On material.

And, what is up with you and black vs. white musicians? Why is that interesting to you? I don't listen to Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. I also don't own any music from Brook Benton or Donna Summers.
    I'd rather listen to George Clinton than the Grateful Dead. What does that really mean. Nothing.

Banned

I never said he was in the same league, I don't listen to the Beach Boys like I do Marvin. Other than their main hits, I don't know there music. That's why I didn't list them.

He is not just a vocalist. Someone like Jackie Wilson is a vocalist. He never written one song (or even co-wrote as you like to put it.) That is a pure vocalist. Someone who doesn't have any say-so on what goes on behind the scenes. Marvin was a writer for most of his post What's Goin On material.

And, what is up with you and black vs. white musicians? Why is that interesting to you? I don't listen to Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. I also don't own any music from Brook Benton or Donna Summers.
    I'd rather listen to George Clinton than the Grateful Dead. What does that really mean. Nothing.
    Dude I love a lot of musicians who are black. You're on record as saying 'black white is better than white music' (your exact words, verbatim); I don't even know what that means, and it borders on racist (PC white liberals won't care, but you don't fool me). You don't seem to listen to any music by white musicians and yet you seem comfortable passing judgments. It just makes no sense to me.

Like I said before, your passion for music is admirable but there's clearly something in your life or that has happened in your life to have caused you to adopt this mentality. It's very bizarre.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

2 white guys fighting over Marvin Gaye. I've seen it all. Only on ISH

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    2 white guys fighting over Marvin Gaye. I've seen it all. Only on ISH
    That would be hilarious if L. Kizzle were not black. Marvin Gaye sucks, everyone knows that.