Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Default Re: Gordon Joins Deng on GB roster

Quote Originally Posted by inaminute23
    The latest news La Bomba is that the BPB are talking to other insurers & are about to submit his medical records. BPB want it sorted by the time they get to Turkey so he can get 3 games under his belt.Fingers crossed for that!

Last night we went down by 9 to Italy but we gave them a huge scare in the 4th when we went on a 15-0 run to cut it to 4. Looks like we were trying out different options at the guard spots but in the first half our transition defence was poor, but Italy couldn't miss a 3 neither. Good points were in the second half when we tightened up defensively & looked more smoother on offense. However we need to work on our 3 point game a lot more! Pops Mensa Bonsu was the pick of our players (you'll enjoy watching hm next season), & also the combo guard Jarret Hart looks a nice player. Quite few positives generally. We now travel to Belgium for A training camp, where hopefully Betts will participate. Whilst we are there we will play Belgium & Sweden.
    well pops played in italy for benetton so obviously he must have been motivated for that game.Who did Italy play? where can I see the box score?

good news!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/...00000171.shtml

as you can probably imagine, there was more than Eurobasket at stake too...

Had Deng been unable to play this summer or, as had been feared, in other summers to come, GB ran the risk of relegation from the A Division of the Euro Championships in 2009.

And had that occurred, the earliest GB could have been promoted back to the A Division would have been the summer of 2011, meaning the team would not have had time to fulfil the minimum requirement needed to play in the 2012 Olympic Games.
    however, if GB do fulfill the minimum requirement of being in Division A, they still have to prove to FIBA that our team will be "competitive" at 2012 and thus granted a berth as hosts. but as we say in britain 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'
    Last edited by stax; 08-29-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stax
    good news!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/...00000171.shtml

as you can probably imagine, there was more than Eurobasket at stake too...

however, if GB do fulfill the minimum requirement of being in Division A, they still have to prove to FIBA that our team will be "competitive" at 2012 and thus granted a berth as hosts. but as we say in britain 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'
    when are the first qualifying games? against cech republic

first qualifying game is just around the corner, away to Israel on the 3rd of September. in all honesty theres no way GB is winning that! i'm sure b.jerk will agree...

followed by Czech Republic on the 6th in gloomy old London town.

see the rest of the schedules here:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8j...NOrUf9le2.html
    Last edited by stax; 08-29-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

GB beat Bosnia tonight 100-98. Not bad since we had no Deng, Betts, George, Midgley, or Larkai. Guess what? The first 4 names there could well be in starting 5! Like i've said before we are underdogs against Israel, but im sure we will put up a good fight. Our last friendly is tommorow versus Portugal hopefully the lads can finish on a high going into the qualifiers.

GB beat Bosnia tonight 100-98. Not bad since we had no Deng, Betts, George, Midgley, or Larkai. Guess what? The first 4 names there could well be in starting 5! Like i've said before we are underdogs against Israel, but im sure we will put up a good fight. Our last friendly is tommorow versus Portugal hopefully the lads can finish on a high going into the qualifiers.
    did bosnia have all their players?Not that they are the strongest,but I am sure that like GB other nat teams might not have their best either thats why we shouldnt make much about not having the starters.besides Deng has not played atall so we shouldnt count him as a starter cause he might not play atall if chicago dont want.thats the problem with european players going to play in the nba ,they start missing games and competitions with their national team.
    Israel will be very tough and I am sure the fans will be great.I hope that in London the fans will turn up.Its a shame and a sorry state of affairs that more people will go and see two low key nba teams play an exhibition with no passion than this important qualifying game that will attract as much press in this country as a shoplifting incident in the isle of scilly would!a bigger sham that the uk press will give more attention to the pickup game mentioned above.
    Last edited by la bomba; 08-30-2008 at 05:54 AM.

In ACB.com the spanish league website there is a headlining article on Great Britain, Thats more that they know about GB in Spain now that in GB itself!! The article is plagued with unbelievable mistakes, especially the author can't grab the concept of what Great Britain is! he says that " Even though Archibald has played for Scotland before he is now playing for Great Britain!! and? he obviously thinks Great Britain is England,because he mentions that in Melbourne for the commonwealth games they palyed as England.Its like saying Betts played for England and is now playing for Great Britain! But then even in the Uk they think that GB is England,Unless they are talking of Tennis then it is Britain.lol ,so apart from his obvious lack of knowledge on what Great Britain is the article is pretty thorough.

Learning to shoot layups

Bosnia were at full strength, but no Domercant or the captain (don't know name) due to injury i think so this was ag reat result for GB. We beat Portugal today, by just 1 point 1, 80-79. We shot the ball well, out rebounded them, and had less turnovers. They led most of the game i think purely because they were on fire from 3 point land, about 54% i think. Looks like our back court has really stepped up & that we have good rotation too. The team should only get better as Deng has been officially cleared to play. Betts is to come back aswell, but i think he has an injury. He has only played in belgium, i think, so i don't know if he will start or even be on the bench on Wednesday. I also think that Deng might even come off the bench wednesday too, however i think if he gets a couple of good trainig sessions in he might be ok, or adrenaline might kick in which will help. All in all a lot to look forward to & im optimistic we can now do well after 2 good performances.

Bosnia were at full strength, but no Domercant or the captain (don't know name) due to injury i think so this was ag reat result for GB. We beat Portugal today, by just 1 point 1, 80-79. We shot the ball well, out rebounded them, and had less turnovers. They led most of the game i think purely because they were on fire from 3 point land, about 54% i think. Looks like our back court has really stepped up & that we have good rotation too. The team should only get better as Deng has been officially cleared to play. Betts is to come back aswell, but i think he has an injury. He has only played in belgium, i think, so i don't know if he will start or even be on the bench on Wednesday. I also think that Deng might even come off the bench wednesday too, however i think if he gets a couple of good trainig sessions in he might be ok, or adrenaline might kick in which will help. All in all a lot to look forward to & im optimistic we can now do well after 2 good performances.
    I dont think Deng has ever experienced tough team defence in european type basketball that might be a problem.Israel if they have yanev green,eliyahu,casspi,halperin,etc might be too strong.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Great Brittan has a chance because the coaching sucks, some people blame halperin, yaniv green ect for bad decision but that's more of the coaching not preparing them than the player. Israel should be beating some of these teams by 20 but israel has a coach that benches Casspi for Matan Noar.

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    Great Brittan has a chance because the coaching sucks, some people blame halperin, yaniv green ect for bad decision but that's more of the coaching not preparing them than the player. Israel should be beating some of these teams by 20 but israel has a coach that benches Casspi for Matan Noar.
    is the israel great britain on internet tv atall? myp2p maybe?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    is the israel great britain on internet tv atall? myp2p maybe?

Don't know, but i will try & find the live stream link, then post it here.

Don't know, but i will try & find the live stream link, then post it here.
    thanks.any ideas from the israeli side bjerk?

Learning to shoot layups

GB face an injury crisis. Betts is definately out & has flown back to London with a back injury. George, Midgley, & Larkai are also doubtful. If this is the case we will probably start with:

POPS - C
    DENG - F
    SULLIVAN - F
    BOYD - G
    REINKING - G

BENCH:

BOATENG - C
    FREELAND - F
    LEVEN - G
    HART- G

It will be a mammoth task to beat Israel now, but if we come out of the games with many positives, hopefull that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the campaign

GB face an injury crisis. Betts is definately out & has flown back to London with a back injury. George, Midgley, & Larkai are also doubtful. If this is the case we will probably start with:

POPS - C
    DENG - F
    SULLIVAN - F
    BOYD - G
    REINKING - G

BENCH:

BOATENG - C
    FREELAND - F
    LEVEN - G
    HART- G

It will be a mammoth task to beat Israel now, but if we come out of the games with many positives, hopefull that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the campaign
    GB have a chance as their group is easier than the rest.look at Serbia,Italy group or France,turkey etc.