Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Kemp HOF?

Love Live Life

Thumbs up Shawn Kemp HOF?

Will he eventually make then HOF?

Is he considered HOF worthy?

There's a lot of players in there that's not worthy.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Default Re: Shawn Kemp HOF?

Good player, but he's not a HoF. I say nay.

If he didnt go fat and crazy then yes.

Learning to shoot layups

Hall of fatasses?

Donuts, cocaine, and babymakin torpedoed a promising career.

Naaaaa..no.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

When you go out of the NBA looking like this.. No..

Local High School Star

Default Re: Shawner Kemp HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Will he eventually make then HOF?

Is he considered HOF worthy?

There's a lot of players in there that's not worthy.
    He's peripheral. His peak is good enough, though not legendary.

In a vacuum I'd take his career over Chris Mullin's. But Mullin was a DTer, inspirational and disciplined (overcame alcoholism, was a gym rat). Kemp was a DTIIer, didn't seem to overcome his demons and fathered a lot of children.

So fair or not Mullin is in wheras Kemp will at at least have to wait a while.

That said Rodman made it in with, I don't know what to call it, "attitude issues"? Kemp was a better player for roughly the same stretch (don't want to do the whole Rodman debate but he was never even vaguely MVP contention, 2 All-NBA 3rd teams and 2 ASG, if we ignored age, the idea that Kemp at his apex would be traded for Rodman would have been, well it wouldn't happen) so he's certainly got a shot.

Borderline. He'll make it eventually. He was actually one of the best PFs in the 90s.

Very good NBA starter

prime kemp was worthy of comparions to 2nd or 3rd tiered HOF players.

fat kemp was worthy of comparisons to some other overpaid lard ass like eddy curry.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Not even close. I watched him since his rookie season and was a sonics fan. It took him a few years to get good then he had a short peak followed by a steep decline. He was definitely awesome at his best but there is no way he should even be in a discussion about the hall of fame. An amazing player for a few years.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

He gets my vote. He was pretty much a top 2-3 PF in the league for a reasonably decent stretch.

Personal off-court issues (like the children or getting overweight toward the end of his career) should not count as a vote against him.

We should only look at what he did and accomplished as a player, and he was hella good.

Even when past his prime and starting to get fat I remember him carrying my Cavs to the playoffs on his back w/ practically no help.

He was also arguably the MVP of the Sonics team that almost beat MJ's Bulls in the finals.

He was nice for a few years but I never thought of him as hall of fame worthy tho

College superstar

I seriously doubt he makes it. Zo has a better chance than he does.

He didn't play great early in his career coming out of high school, and he had a stretch of dominating All-NBA team years, but it didn't last long. Similar to T-Mac, who I doubt will ever make the HOF.

As a Sonics fan, I would love to see Shawn Kemp in the HOF. As a basketball fan, No. Shawn should not be in the HOF. I just don't think that he had a HOF career. If we let Shawn into the HOF, who is next; Larry Nance? Brent Berry? Purvis Short? Truck Robinson? Brad Davis? No on Shawn Kemp and the HOF.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Arrow Re: Shawn Kemp HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    He gets my vote. He was pretty much a top 2-3 PF in the league for a reasonably decent stretch.

Personal off-court issues (like the children or getting overweight toward the end of his career) should not count as a vote against him.

We should only look at what he did and accomplished as a player, and he was hella good.

Even when past his prime and starting to get fat I remember him carrying my Cavs to the playoffs on his back w/ practically no help.

He was also arguably the MVP of the Sonics team that almost beat MJ's Bulls in the finals.
    He was the MVP of that Sonics team and had an incredible run in the playoffs that year. He was cranking 20 footers in Karl Malone's face.

I was a Sonics fan and a Kemp fan but he was just nowhere near hall of fame good. Even at his peak he only averaged 20ppg for one year. He was always good for a 10-12 point game that would leave you scratching your head. He averaged a double double for 7 years, which is good but hardly unheard of. Neither his scoring numbers or rebounding numbers were eye popping. What he did do was have an incredible run in the playoffs one year but he also had an awful time and got bounced in the first round by an right seed. He was super entertaining to watch no doubt but even at his peak he was not a hall of famer. He was not a game changing guy who only averaged 20 and 10 his best year. He was a really nice player who was a decent defender and played on some really good teams, some of which underachieved. Love the dude and I was a die hard Sonics fan but badass dunking isn't going to get you in the hall. That doesn't mean he was just a dunker because he wasn't and he did develop a jumper later it's just that when you see some of the dunks he did on people it kind of makes you think he was better than he actually was. He was great but not an all time great by any stretch.