Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: My top 10 favorite video games of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Mass Effect 3 was a massive disappointment in terms of the story. It's like 1 and 2 were written by different people.
    It at least got all the characters right, which I appreciated. But yeah, it's like most of the plot points in 1 and 2 never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    It at least got all the characters right, which I appreciated.
    Kai Leng was a horribly weak villain though. Dude was like a cartoon villain. How did we go from Saren to that guy?

EA must have rushed the development cycle. Scumbags.

NBA lottery pick

Persona 3
    Super Mario World
    Homeworld
    GTA San Andreas
    COD4
    Half-life
    Tony Hawk 4
    Chrono Trigger
    Diablo 2
    KOTOR

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

The Tony Hawk series is another I couldn't fit in on my list. I loved 2 and 3. But it started to get a bit too silly after that, for me. If 2 had the reverts that were added in 3, it would've been the perfect game in that series.

A Link to the Past
    Metroid Prime
    Monkey Island 2-3
    Mass Effect 1
    Pokemon
    Skies of Arcadia
    Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue
    Prince of Persia the Sands of Time
    Super Mario All Stars
    Unreal Tournament

In no real order...
    World of Warcraft
    Diablo 2
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Origins
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Half Life 2
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    Killer Instinct
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Metal Gear Solid

Honorable Mentions
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Hitman series
    Thief series
    Max Payne 1 & 2
    The Lord of the Rings Online
    Last edited by Derka; 02-24-2014 at 08:29 AM.

1. Sunset Riders (Arcade/SNES), a vertical scrolling cowboy shoot-em-up of epic proportions, up to 4 players at once, spent countless hours playing this alone or with friends and i still play it.

2. Gradius / Life Force / Parodius series (NES/SNES/PS1). I always was into spaceshooters and it didnt get any better than this.

3. Contra & Contra III (NES/SNES shoot-em-up), like Sunset Riders kindof, had the same impact on me.

4. Super Mario Kart (SNES), just great coop/1vs1 fun with friends.

5. Super Mario Bros 1-3 (NES), pure childhood nostalgia.

6. Counter-Strike (PC) including Doom 1, Quake 1, Half Life 1, the FPS that set it all of, any FPS online you see today (Call of Duty etc) are emulated after these ones, especially Counter-Strike.

7. Battlefield 1942 & Battlefield 2 (PC), HUGE innovative/groundbreaking FPS online games that features tanks, apcs, battleships, submarines, airplanes, choppers and so on and so on..... and now Battlefield 3-4 are by far the best FPS games out there today.

8. Mass Effect series (PC), maybe the best singleplayer story based game i ever played.

9. StarCraft : Broodwar (PC), best strategy game i ever played, this game is a sport today in Korea you can make a living of, StarCraft 2 but ok.

10. Elder Scrolls series (PC), a MASSIVE game, soooo much to do so little time.
    Last edited by pauk; 02-24-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Seeing some good lists here guys. Here are a few games that stood out to me on lists.

The Sims 1 - Holy crap...I remember playing this for the first time and being sucked into the game so easily. Building a house, keeping your job so you can buy nice things. But of course in the beginning I sucked and struggled keeping my guy awake haha he would pass out in the lawn after work and piss himself all the time. I played Sims 2 and 3, of course I figured out like everyone else how to play eventually. That's when it got too easy and boring once you get max position for your work and your house has everything you want. Classic game.

Half Life - I would have added this to my list but I gave the spot to Day of Defeat (half life mod). Probably the best single player FPS I have played. Not just Half Life but Half Life 2 was game breaking as well. Terrific engines that allowed most people to enjoy the game with good graphics. That game had to many mods...Pirates, Vikings and Knights...anyone remember that? Endless fun. Plus a soccer mod and Natural Selection...I played the new NS 2 that's out but its engine is totally different and does run smoothly for me. Plus I spent so much time playing NS already. I use to mod the game so all the Aliens would look like the ones in the movies (Onos = Queen, Fade = Xenomorph, etc.) Plus marines looked like the ones in the movie and had all the same weapons. Great mod community Half Life has.

Sunset Riders (standard nintendo version)- Well Pauk...I did not expect anyone to mention this. I made my older brother (30) make a list and he put this on there. Him and I played the heck out this game as kids and could never beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty. Even for a side scroll the game was very fun and took you to multiple areas with challenging bosses. My brother was the commando and I was the blonde guy. "Thank you nice boys!"

Battlefield 1942 - I play Battlefield 1943 a little bit each night which scratches the itch 1942 did back in the day. I really enjoyed using the submarines and driving the Carriers. 1943 doesnt have all the features but it's cheap fun on Xbox Arcade, always people playing. I was blown away at the battles that involved land, sea and air. Spent a lot of hours playing this game and feeling like I really was in a war. Tank battles were epic too.

Tribes 2 - Didn't see this on anyones list but my brother and I played this game for a bit. We would go for the huge bomber each time and just hit the enemies base a few times. Even though really that's all we did besides going 1 on 1 the game really was well done.
    Last edited by Spaulding; 02-24-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Kai Leng was a horribly weak villain though. Dude was like a cartoon villain. How did we go from Saren to that guy?

EA must have rushed the development cycle. Scumbags.
    Well that's exactly what happened. Bioware had endless time to create Mass Effect. Then EA actually game them 3 years to do Mass Effect 2, which I argue is one of the best video game sequels of all time.

EA told Bioware after the huge success of Mass Effect 2 that they only had 2 years to make the game, taking out that crucial 1 year.

So you see how the story could have been tons better if Bioware had that extra time. EA doesnt care about game longetivity, they have the sports game mentality. Release a slightly different one each year and trash the old.

Obviously for some reason Bioware needed EA for Mass Effect 2 & 3 due to money issues im sure. EA has a very bad rep among game developers. They took hand in ruining Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2.

All they wanted was a quick large profit out of Mass Effect 3. It is easily the weakest of the games due to story and lack of innovation that 1 and 2 had. If they had another year im sure the ending would have been top notch along with the story in general.

Ive beat Mass Effect 1 and 2 three seperate times each. But only have beat Mass Effect 3 once. Ive gotten far on a second playthrough, Levithan and Citadel DLC was awesome but not enough to keep my interest to beat it again. Sure they gave a new ending but true fans wont forget the old one and its hard to erase that from your mind.

Note: Don't get me wrong Mass Effect 3 was still a good game but as a fan after playing 1 and 2 you expected 3 to close everything up but still keep you hooked. Did not happen.

@Spaulding, Natural Selection!! Oh man, that is my favorite MOD ever next to CS.... i was an expert Lerk (bat thingy)

Have you tried Natural Selection 2? I play that alot.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    @Spaulding, Natural Selection!! Oh man, that is my favorite MOD ever next to CS.... i was an expert Lerk (bat thingy)

Have you tried Natural Selection 2? I play that alot.
    Ya I played NS2 beta for a bit. My computer just hates that engine their using. Could never get it to work smoothly as I wanted.

Haha a good Lerk player was annoying! I probably played with you and didn't even know it. I was a pretty good commander too but it was entirely too stressful.

Chrono Trigger
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Shining Force 2
    Civilization Series
    Skyrim
    The Last of Us
    Dragon Quest 8
    A Link to the Past
    Heroes of might and magic 3
    Metal gear solid series

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Chrono Trigger
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Shining Force 2
    Civilization Series
    Skyrim
    The Last of Us
    Dragon Quest 8
    A Link to the Past
    Heroes of might and magic 3
    Metal gear solid series
    I have two regrets in gaming growing up. I wished I would have gotten into Everquest (I probably was too young) and Balder's Gate. I did my best to get into Balder's but because I did not play it when released it's simply just too outdated now. I know for a fact I would have loved it and beat it. Probably would be beating the whole series again.

Did you see the HD version they put out? Pretty cool. Wish I could get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    I have two regrets in gaming growing up. I wished I would have gotten into Everquest (I probably was too young) and Balder's Gate. I did my best to get into Balder's but because I did not play it when released it's simply just too outdated now. I know for a fact I would have loved it and beat it. Probably would be beating the whole series again.

Did you see the HD version they put out? Pretty cool. Wish I could get into it.
    Ya I saw it but heard the changes are minor. I don't have time to delve into that game with all the upcoming RPGs this year.

Keep an eye out for Pillars of Eternity, a kick starter project that's the spiritual successor to the Black Isle classics like BG and Planescape Torment. A lot of the same guys working on it and it's got a nice 4million budget which is huge for an indie

I've done the same thing with replaying ME1 and 2 but not 3. I have no desire to ever touch it again really. I've prob played ME1 five times.