Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default anyone doing vjb?

just finished wk 2 on the inter balance programe,

going real good so far, prob just in my head but i already feel like its working as i could always do a far few different dunks of 1 foot but could only just touch the rim with 2, so should make a big diiference on d aswell with checks.

cant help but notice though some of the workouts in the programe i swear are just there to make you look a fool in the gym lol, jumping up and down on the spot makes you look a tad bit strange but when you have the bar on your shoulders doing it!!!!!!!!!!

just wondering also has anyone else done the program, how did it work for ya?

Default Re: anyone doing vjb?

This program works... but I developed tendonitis in my knee while doing it. One of my friends developed a knee problem as well... but my other friend didn't. I think for me, I had pulled a groin in the past and it just never quite healed right I don't think... so a lot of the impact was taken by my knee and patellar tendon got messed up. I pulled my hammy and still tried to do the program making matters even worse on my knee.

All I have to say is be careful. If your knee starts to hurt, stop doing the program immediately and wait for it to heal. Skip the 1 leg speed hops... Those have to be the worst on your knees. I did the same program (inter. balanced) and those come up in the 2nd phase.

I gained 3 inches of vert by week 6... but after that everything went downhill... so I can't exactly tell you what to expect after that, but 3 inches by week 6... you should be right around there (my friend had about the same gains as me and we are about the same size). BTW, if you are nice and lean, you shouldn't have too many problems. I was about 195 while doing this program and it was just too much weight to have on my frame. A lot of that weight was muscle, but my BF was probably around 15 or so... which is way too much. You want to be at 10% or lower if you are going to do a VJB program so your joints are stressed a lot less.

Saw a basketball once

yeah cheers for the heads up well in week 2 now and i can really feel the difference now was playing ball today and i have only been e=able to grab the rim of 2 feet just decided to go for it and hit the 1 hander no way near as high of 2 feet then 1 but such a big improvment in a couple of weeks i would certanly rec this programe

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

I recommend Vertical Mastery, the dude selling it is a cool guy and really knows his stuff. He helps you out whenever you're having a problem and his site's got great tips and reviews on other jumping programs. It's also personalized so each person gets a custom workout.

After doing 1 10 week workout, my vertical went from 18 ( ) to a max of 27. It was an off day when I measured my 18 but 27 isn't a slouch at all. I have a standing reach of just under 7' (6'11") and when I'm warmed I can throw down on 8'6" off 1 leg. I'm not even a single legged jumper, but it really boosted that aspect of mine. But the balls diameter is actually 9.39 inches so if I round to 10 for dunking mechanics, I have a 29 inch vertical. YES!

In addition, my squat went from 3 reps at 165 to 3 reps at 190. Great program. Unfortunately I might have to take a break from it to work on conditioning.
    Last edited by carpevicis; 07-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Saw a basketball once

vjb has tayler made programs which you find the one thats best for you, well vjb is working really well so dont think i will change untill i have finished the 8 wks

props on ur jump improvments pal 13 more inchs then u have hit the promise lands

Learning to shoot layups

Yes i do have and itfeel very good while you can earn muney and develop experience.

Saw a basketball once BoredActuary's Avatar

I'm doing the vjb intermediate plyo program with my own strength program. I'm only into week 2 of phase 1 so I haven't noticed much of a difference.

My standing two foot vertical leap is around 20'' - I'm 6' 6'' in shoes, with a standing reach of 8' 8'' , weigh 180 pounds and am 27. So from a stand still I can touch the rim jumping off two feet. With a run and two foot jump (I can't leap) I can just about hang on with one hand.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes at the end of the first phase. I also made a clip of my jumping before I started the program, so I'll put a link up for that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredActuary
    I'm doing the vjb intermediate plyo program with my own strength program. I'm only into week 2 of phase 1 so I haven't noticed much of a difference.

My standing two foot vertical leap is around 20'' - I'm 6' 6'' in shoes, with a standing reach of 8' 8'' , weigh 180 pounds and am 27. So from a stand still I can touch the rim jumping off two feet. With a run and two foot jump (I can't leap) I can just about hang on with one hand.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes at the end of the first phase. I also made a clip of my jumping before I started the program, so I'll put a link up for that soon.
    What is your own strength program? The one he has on there is pretty good. I hope whatever you are doing involves squats, deadlifts, and other power movements.

Good idea to start now if you can. With a standing reach of 8'8... you better be able to dunk man. I can see you gaining 10 inches if you stick with the program. 30" would put you at 11'2... You could throw it down hard at 11'2.

Sorry, I meant to write 8' 4''. But with my height and reach I'm not too far off. My avatar is a screen shot of the clip I'll post soon.

The strength program is something I came up with from reading around. I go twice a week and do a full body workout:

Incline chest press
    Straight arm pull downs
    Rows
    Military press
    Arm curls
    Dips (3 sets of 15)
    Lat pull downs

Leg extensions
    Leg curls
    Calf raises (3 sets of 25)
    Squat/Dead-lift - I switch exercise each session
    Straight leg dead-lift
    Step-ups
    Adductors and abductors (3 sets of 25)
    Roman seats and some 1min planks

I do 3 sets of 8 reps for all other exercises. If the gym isn't busy this takes me around an 60-70min.

Make sure you are doing low reps and high weight on those deads and squats. No more than 6 reps really... Any more than that you are focusing less on explosion and more on strength.

Do your Squats, Dead's, and stepups first... you want to be really fresh for them. They are your power movements... they are what is going to give you your gains. The leg extensions and Hamstring curls are secondary... As are calves. Those exercises aren't going to help your vert... they just make sure everything is up to par so you don't have strength imbalances.

8'4 is a little more human and less NBA lol. Yea at only 180 pounds... that tells you have basically no muscle. You should make phenomenal gains just stick with it.

Learning to shoot layups 5foot6's Avatar

has anyone heard anything good or bad about the new become a freak program? thinkin about givin it a try

I'll re-shuffle my program and do the power movements first. I was using the leg extension and curls as a sort of warm-up. Should I still do them?

I am pretty lean/skinny, I think I will always be that way, I just don't have the body type!

Thanks Swaggin916. I'll post later with my progress and some videos.

Here's my vertical leap just before I started the program. I might film the end of phase 1 test from a different angle and jump for the rim instead of the backboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3rZv1QjBY

ISH Jump Crew

Quote Originally Posted by BoredActuary
    Here's my vertical leap just before I started the program. I might film the end of phase 1 test from a different angle and jump for the rim instead of the backboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3rZv1QjBY
    Damn bro, you're (were?) slow as hell.. decent hops though. What week you at now?

I just started the same one as OP.

I know, I didn't realise I was that slow until I saw it on camera. They were just 3-step jumps though... But I'll try some faster run-ups on the next test.

I'm finishing up week 2 of phase 1 tomorrow. I'll be filming the end of phase 1 results next week.