Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nets podcast

Thumbs up Nets podcast

Hey guys,

I don't know if you consider this to be spamming, but if you do, feel free to delete it. Personally, I consider this more of a plug.

I'm one of the hosts of 'The Crossover' - a Nets and Knicks podcast - which can be found in the iTunes music store and also on the show's host website - www.thesportsstuff.com

My co-host (Pmac) and I have been doing the show for around a year now - touching on pretty much everything to do with the Nets and the Knicks. I deal with the Nets side of things, Pmac the Knicks - basically because we share a deep hatred of each-other's teams which can lead to some pretty heated discussion at times.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you guys the heads up so you can look for it in the iTunes store if you're looking for a Nets show.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Rusty; 09-01-2008 at 11:14 AM.

   

Default Re: Nets podcast

rusty (venture), welcome aboard and i'd recommend putting up an old podcast episode so that people here can get an idea of what the show is like.

Thanks for the opportunity to gain more exposure for the show man.

Episode #33 (the most recent):
    http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...5b8ee21158.mp3

Episode #32:
    http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...26344b2a00.mp3

cool. post more of them like the new ones after you are done with them

You guys can subscribe to the show by clicking here: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=268817312

You'll be able to listen to any past episodes as well - which is worth it for the 'Infamous Figures in Tri-State Basketball History' segments alone.

   

i listened to ep#32. pretty interesting.

one thing that i think is good to mention is that the shows seem to be free. i don't use itunes much, so when i heard the word "store" i immediately became less enthusiastic because i'm another internet junkie used to getting everything for free.

@rusty,
    i have a little feedback for the first episode and will have more if i continue to listen. if you are indeed looking for feedback, i could post it either here or at your place.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i listened to ep#32. pretty interesting.

one thing that i think is good to mention is that the shows seem to be free. i don't use itunes much, so when i heard the word "store" i immediately became less enthusiastic because i'm another internet junkie used to getting everything for free.

@rusty,
    i have a little feedback for the first episode and will have more if i continue to listen. if you are indeed looking for feedback, i could post it either here or at your place.
    Yeah, that's a good point. All of our shows are completely free and you don't need an iTunes account to get them. It's just a matter of following that subscribe link (if you'd like), and having each new one delivered straight to your music library.

In terms of the feedback - I'd be more than happy for you to post it at my place.

Hey guys, episode #34 has finally been recorded and released. I've been flat-out busy with University stuff lately and haven't had the time to record a new show or hit the boards here as much. I'm hoping that's all about to change though.

Anyway, episode #34 is a Western Conference preview show with my buddy Dave Ang (the host of Run N Gun - a Phoenix Suns podcast). In this show, I give my predictions for the playoff teams to come out of the conference and also the teams that I think will really struggle.

Enjoy.

Episode #34:
    http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...a3692a3279.mp3

Episodes #35 and #36 have been recorded and released (a couple of days ago).

Episode #35 is our Eastern Conference preview show. As Pmac (my regular co-host) is still away gallivanting through Europe, my good friend Tarek stepped in to fill the void and he did an excellent job (I think anyway). In this episode, we discuss everything Eastern Conference EXCEPT the Nets and the Knicks.

http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...9cb2e329f5.mp3

Episode #36 is our Nets and Knicks season preview show. Tarek again stepped in here to help me preview the season for both teams.

http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...c2b89777fe.mp3

Episode #37 has been recorded and released. In this episode, Tarek joined me once again to cover the pre-seasons for the Nets and Knicks to date, some disturbing injury news, and Eddy Curry's posterior.

http://thesportsfans.hipcast.com/dow...fdc2cb9867.mp3

   

i keep meaning to start listening again.

i keep meaning to start listening again.
    lol. It'd be great if you would man.

To make it easier, you can subscribe (for free) to the show by clicking this link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=268817312

It delivers every episode straight to your iTunes library as it's released.

   

okay, i listened to the last episode. btw, i don't use i-tunes personally and don't know much about it.

PROS

- the show has a casual but nevertheless energetic feel, basically lacking the usual over-the-top element and urge to produce sound bites that so many american shows suffer from. this is quite refreshing IMO.

- your voices and vocal delivery are smooth and enjoyable to listen to, sort of the exact opposite of people like steven a. smith, p.j. carlisimo and that strident ilk.

- you're obviously well-read and devoted to NBA news and NBA events. so although i presume you to be college age, and therefore young, you do come across with some significant authority and are therefore interesting to listen to.

CONS

- the opening montage seems to go on forever. you might want to cut that down some to avoid losing peoples' attention.

- with your aussie accent, "stuff" sounds more like "staff" to an american audience, so you might want to point that out when you read out your site name.

- the last show bogged down near the end by wandering over movie topics and such. it also got a little irritating hearing the phrase "looks like we're coming up on the end of such-and-such segment" so often. IMO it's okay saying that sometimes, but most of the time i'd just move on and have done with it.

just on general curiosity, it seems somewhat strange and amusing that you guys down under follow the NBA so avidly. but i suppose the NBA is well-followed all over the world because david stern's business model has worked so well.

meanwhole, i don't think i've ever met an american interested in aussie-league football, although apparantly our local american football team the eagles has a fantastic punter that came from down under playing aussie football... or was it rugby? name is sav rocca.

...CONS

- the opening montage seems to go on forever. you might want to cut that down some to avoid losing peoples' attention.

- with your aussie accent, "stuff" sounds more like "staff" to an american audience, so you might want to point that out when you read out your site name.

- the last show bogged down near the end by wandering over movie topics and such. it also got a little irritating hearing the phrase "looks like we're coming up on the end of such-and-such segment" so often. IMO it's okay saying that sometimes, but most of the time i'd just move on and have done with it.

just on general curiosity, it seems somewhat strange and amusing that you guys down under follow the NBA so avidly. but i suppose the NBA is well-followed all over the world because david stern's business model has worked so well.

meanwhole, i don't think i've ever met an american interested in aussie-league football, although apparantly our local american football team the eagles has a fantastic punter that came from down under playing aussie football... or was it rugby? name is sav rocca.
    Firstly, thank you for not only the kind words, but the feedback in general. I certainly appreciate it.

In terms of those 'cons', I agree and see where you're coming from with all of them. Since I've edited the show (my regular co-host used to do that until he left to travel around Europe), I've thought that close to two minutes is a little long.

In terms of my pronunciation of the word "stuff", that's an excellent point and one that hasn't been raised with me until now. Obviously being Australian (as are all of my co-hosts), it's not something I would have thought of but in the next episode, i'll spell out 'stuff'.

In terms of the movie topics, yeah that last part doesn't normally get too bogged down. It was just a mini-rant there on my part.

When it comes to be being an NBA fan, well I have been for almost 15 years (I'm 22 now). The reason is that NBA games (during the glamor years of the league - otherwise known as the Jordan era) used to be shown on national TV here in the mornings and I could catch them before I went to school. I fell in love with the likes of MJ, Scottie, Sir Charles, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Nick Van Exel. I became a Nets fan after seeing a highlights tape that I borrowed from my local library and on that tape was Julius Erving and Derrick Coleman. I became a VC fan pretty much as soon as he got drafted and I saw footage of his unbelievable array of dunks and offensive moves in general. Then, when he performed "that dunk" in the Sydney Olympics, my man crush reached new heights.

And lastly, Rocca is a former AFL (Australian Football League) star; as is Ben Graham (the Jets punter), and Darren Bennett (the former Vikings pro-bowler). Matt McBriar (the Cowboys punter) was also born here and lived here until he was 16.

Anyway man, again, thanks for the feedback. Now, I think that's as long as this post needs to be :)

   

thanks for the good response, rusty.

one thing i forgot to mention from your show is being impressed with how much more serious it sounds like the knicks are. maybe not yet in terms of results, but the culture, work-ethic and dedication of the players sound like they have improved quite a lot under d'antoni.

whereas isiah would tolerate the laziness and slack attitude of players like james, marbury, randolph and curry, it sounds like (particularly of that group) that they've been forced to either start busting their asses or fall back into oblivion. it's actually a little scary to think of how dangerous the knicks could be a few years down the road when they've shed all those huge, worthless contracts and are left with a club full of talent and/or hard workers. especially being the team with the deepest pockets in the league.

in retrospect, teams like ourselves, the sixers and others should maybe be grateful for how long the bumbling isiah thomas regime went on.