Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    When things like that start leaking from multiple meetings with teams, you know it must be bad. It also doesn't help that he's allegedly been almost as bad on the basketball court in his team workouts.

Combine the interviews with teams leaking stuff like this?

Not good.
    Everyone wants to compare him to Ray Allen, but Ray is Ray because he's a complete freak with his work ethic.

In a way, McLemore reminds me a little bit of Michael Beasley. You watched him and were like "this guy will be chasing scoring titles for the next 10 years!", so you kinda ignored all the red flags about his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Everyone wants to compare him to Ray Allen, but Ray is Ray because he's a complete freak with his work ethic.

In a way, McLemore reminds me a little bit of Michael Beasley. You watched him and were like "this guy will be chasing scoring titles for the next 10 years!", so you kinda ignored all the red flags about his personality.
    I'd say Beasley and Ben are different. Beasley clearly had some issues himself whereas with Ben the problem seems to be stemming from issues within his camp (from what I'm getting from the articles).

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    I'd say Beasley and Ben are different. Beasley clearly had some issues himself whereas with Ben the problem seems to be stemming from issues within his camp (from what I'm getting from the articles).
    I think what I was getting was that both seem like children. McLemore just doesn't seem to be remotely prepared for the work and life of not only being an NBA player, but one with expectations.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

He does seem like he hasn't matured when I hear him speak. I'm also not sure he knows what he's in for on the next level when he's playing against full grown men.

And, while he just finished his freshman year, Ben isn't quite as young as most people think. He's older than many of the best players in last year's draft, for example Anthony Davis, MKG and Brad Beal.

There are things about his game that bother me too, to be honest. He has very suspect handles and virtually no playmaking skills. He will need to play on a team with a good point guard who can handle the ball and set him up in the right spots.

In this era of versatile wings -- most of the elite 2s can spend significant time at point -- he just doesn't have that in his game.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

I really hope all this is true about Mclemore, I would love him as the Kings SG, moving Evans to either PG or SF. If he drops that will be sweet.

McLemore's combine interview (he really does seem nervous):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qddd80N1i3U

Oladipo's combine interview (seems confident):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Oc5_rGNTo

Wow. Victor's interview really shows his amazing work ethic. He's talking about how he just wakes up every morning with a drive to get better. His gym membership card got worn out and stopped working from his swiping it so much

I hope McLemore tanked his interviews and workouts enough to slip to #8, Pistons need a wing that can score desperately. McLemore definitely has more potential than Oladipo IMO but it seems Oladipo has a much better work ethic, at least at this point. I still prefer McLemore but I wouldn't be surprised if Oladipo ended up being the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Wow. Victor's interview really shows his amazing work ethic. He's talking about how he just wakes up every morning with a drive to get better. His gym membership card got worn out and stopped working from his swiping it so much

He kept talking about going to the gym at midnight after watching a basketball game because he was so pumped up and simply couldn't get to sleep without putting a workout in. Dude sounds dedicated as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    He kept talking about going to the gym at midnight after watching a basketball game because he was so pumped up and simply couldn't get to sleep without putting a workout in. Dude sounds dedicated as hell.
    Yeah, definitely. He was just talking about how he wants to be the best he can be. McLemore on the other hand just seemed confused, and apparently he's been coming to workouts out of shape.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Adrian Peterson was the worst interviewer of all time, the Vikings are retarded for drafting him.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Adrian Peterson was the worst interviewer of all time, the Vikings are retarded for drafting him.
    I could care less about the interviews honestly

It's Ben's camp that worries me. Apparently they're not really helping him and conflicts within his camp are forcing him to stay out of the gym.

Well of course McLemore has a tremendous work ethic he's going to be a lock for a top 3 pick. Dont listen to these ISHtards who question one's heart and work ethic. Bitch you wasn't with me shootin in the gym...

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Did Adrian Peterson also have subpar workouts?

No, I remember it well. The guy ran a 4.40 40-yard dash at the combine and was supposedly faster at his pro day. He had some of the best workouts in recent memory for a RB.

He did score just a 16 on his wonderlic, which isn't great. A score of 20 is considered average intelligence. If a score is below 10, the makers of the test claim the person is functionally illiterate.

Anyway, what does AP have to do with it? He was clearly a once in a generation type RB talent. Everyone could see that. There was no one even close to him for that position in that (very good) draft.

McLemore and Oladipo are widely considered neck-and-neck for the SG position in this draft. Things seem to be shifting toward Oladipo, in fact, not because of interviews, but because McLemore has showed up to workouts out of shape and is being outplayed by guys not considered elite prospects in this draft.

That doesn't concern you?