Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Re: 2012 Trade Deadline Deal: Gerald Wallace to the Nets

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    You need to get a PF. Preferably one who can rebound.

If Houston doesn't make the playoffs, that means they have a top 14 pick tho. Isn't that as far as it's protected? Just warning ahead of time, because I don't think they're gonna make the playoffs.
    Miller has length, it'd be nice if we could resign Hump which is what im assuming but it may not happen, he is gonna want a big contract. So yeah we would need a PF. I think Rocket's could make it. They need Lowry as soon as possible though.

And Blue it means Prokhorov can pay Stern to rig the Lottery.

PS: Im joking by the way, doubt that will happen

Quote Originally Posted by D12"Magic"

Very good NBA starter

Man Nets making panic move after panic move. I don't see Gerald Wallace enticing Deron to stay, he's as good as gone to Dallas. Maybe Dwight dodged a bullet because this organization can't tell their head from their asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by D12"Magic"
    Miller has length, it'd be nice if we could resign Hump which is what im assuming but it may not happen, he is gonna want a big contract. So yeah we would need a PF. I think Rocket's could make it. They need Lowry as soon as possible though.

PS: Im joking by the way, doubt that will happen

Keeping Brook, bringing in Wallace, I think it's important the Nets make attempt to make a big move. I don't know who. Unless the Knicks decide they hate Amare and need rid of him...I'm sure there is someone available thru trade, free agency, or thru the draft. This team can be a lot better than people realize.

Very good NBA starter

Why didn't the Nets make a move for Josh Smith? You'd have to think a lottery pick+fillers would entice Atlanta. They'd basically be a playoff team with a high chance of adding another allstar to their roster. As for the Nets a trio of Smith, Brooks and Lopez has to be more enticing to Deron than Lopez, Wallace, Brooks

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Why didn't the Nets make a move for Josh Smith? You'd have to think a lottery pick+fillers would entice Atlanta. They'd basically be a playoff team with a high chance of adding another allstar to their roster. As for the Nets a trio of Smith, Brooks and Lopez has to be more enticing to Deron than Lopez, Wallace, Brooks
    the nets aint keepin dwill. easy as that.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker

The Nets could have attempted to trade the now Portland pick and future 1st round picks to Atlanta, for Josh Smith...and then maybe trade the Houston pick for Gerald Wallace. I know Portland would have done it.

If anything, trade both 1st round picks for Josh Smith and look for Wallace in the offseason...would have been interesting then.

But I don't think Atlanta would have traded Josh Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    The Nets could have attempted to trade the now Portland pick and future 1st round picks to Atlanta, for Josh Smith...and then maybe trade the Houston pick for Gerald Wallace. I know Portland would have done it.

If anything, trade both 1st round picks for Josh Smith and look for Wallace in the offseason...would have been interesting then.

But I don't think Atlanta would have traded Josh Smith.
    If that's the case, why they didnt go big time during the deadline and try to get Aldridge from Portland not that he is on the block. Wallace is a find player but if the Nets can get Aldridge, that may decide Dwill to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by k-vil
    If that's the case, why they didnt go big time during the deadline and try to get Aldridge from Portland not that he is on the block. Wallace is a find player but if the Nets can get Aldridge, that may decide Dwill to resign.

The Trail Blazers aren't stupid enough to trade the guy they have to build around. Add to that he's worth max money and he doesn't make it, and is signed for 4 more years. LMA, Blake, Love...the 3 PF's I want over the next 5 years.

If the Nets got LMA there'd be no concern over Deron going anywhere. If you thought Boozer did well with Deron...Aldridge would be in Malone Land.

We will see for this then, for now its difficult to tell if it is a good or a bad move. It is a move though, you have to agree. We could've had our chance in 2010 draft class, but we were rigged and only got Derrick Favors.

Draft lottery is about luck, we may as well just get top 3 or we end up getting only the 10th. If we have a 8-14 pick, its definitely not going to be better than Gerald Wallace.

Truth be told, the Nets management is making too many gambling moves. As a Nets fan I appreciate that they are making moves, after all this was unheard of in Bruce Ratner's era.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Partially yes (but mainly insofar as that his Bobcat's stats were inflated by their awfulness). But I still think his game was about athleticism and it will age badly (and has already started doing so)

I wondered this, couldn't find definite confirmation but if I read the post quoted below right (it was in response to my post so in that context it seems to mean that) the pick doesn't roll over (which is pretty unusual I know, maybe they misunderstood my prior post, but maybe not)
    I read that the pick becomes top 2 protected in 2013, top 1 protected in 2014, and unprotected in 2015. So Blazers should be good as long as the Nets don't win top 3 in the lottery this year and then suddenly trade for Howard before next season.

I don't like the trade for two reasons, neither of which involves Gerald Wallace, who i really like as a player.
    1) He's not a game changer. If Deron was not staying (and im not saying he is not) he's not changing his mind because they acquired Gerald Wallace.
    2) For the price the Nets gave up, they could have gotten Paul Pierce, or thrown in another pick and went after J Smith or Aldrige actually. It felt like they had a good idea, but overpaid.

It may work out good but i still think they overpaid and they upped the risk level if they lose Deron. The Nets were all in, and they pushed more chips to the center of the table.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Now that I've had time to reflect on the trade here are my thoughts:

This trade is stupid because it's implying that Billy King wants to make a playoff push by acquiring Gerald Wallace. Forget the playoff push and settle for our top 4-6 pick in the draft which would have been a great player in a few years.

If we do somehow manage to get the 3rd overall pick or better, next year is a top 2 lottery protected pick, the year after top 1, and in 2015 non-protected.

So pretty stupid going foward especially considering that Wallace is on the decline and will be 8-10 years older then anybody we pick in the draft now and later.

And finally this trade was a "satisfy Dwill trade" when in reality he is probably more upset because this wasted season of mediocrity is going down the drain and Portland walks away winners.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Now that I've had time to reflect on the trade here are my thoughts:

This trade is stupid because it's implying that Billy King wants to make a playoff push by acquiring Gerald Wallace. Forget the playoff push and settle for our top 4-6 pick in the draft which would have been a great player in a few years.

If we do somehow manage to get the 3rd overall pick or better, next year is a top 2 lottery protected pick, the year after top 1, and in 2015 non-protected.

So pretty stupid going foward especially considering that Wallace is on the decline and will be 8-10 years older then anybody we pick in the draft now and later.

And finally this trade was a "satisfy Dwill trade" when in reality he is probably more upset because this wasted season of mediocrity is going down the drain and Portland walks away winners.
    Look at the ESPN article on the trade, Billy King says the reason they don't need the draft pick is they are in WIN NOW mode.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Look at the ESPN article on the trade, Billy King says the reason they don't need the draft pick is they are in WIN NOW mode.

I read it on Netsdaily as well. That's hilarious, with 20 something games left he wants to make the playoffs? They would need to lose 4 games at max just to think about qualifying. Dwight ****ed the Nets up badly. He could have easily been a Net last night and instantly they would have been a great team. Hopefully the Magic get a first round exit and Howard forces a trade this Summer.