Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: THE ONE: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez - Sept 14th!!

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Floyd pulled a b*tch move by pulling the weight down to 152. Floyd is a champ at 154. He fought Cotto at 154 who is a beast and uses his weight way more than Canelo, now all of a sudden you don't want to fight at that weight again? If you don't like that your opponent will outweigh you, don't fight at that weight. I still think Floyd wins regardless, it just discredits it a bit...he could just beat him @ 154.

Whether the weigh-in is @ 152 or 154, Floyd really is giving up a lot of weight, but nothing more than the lbs that Manny was giving up against Clottey, Marg, etc.

That being said, I'm glad this fight is happening!
    Wasn't the Pacquiao-Margarito fight at a 150 pound catchweight? Safe to say Marg was not at his most comfortable weight, though it wouldn't have mattered one bit (like these two pounds won't matter).

Clottey couldn't punch his way out of a paperbag regardless of weight. A lack of speed, power and aggression were the issues for Clottey. It wouldn't have mattered if he was 200 pounds in that fight.

I don't think either of those fights compare much to this.

An aggressive banger like Cotto? Yes, absolutely. But Pacquiao fought him at a catchweight of 145 even after fighting DLH at 147.

There are fighters who can criticize Floyd for demanding a catchweight. Pacquiao isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    I know it was mentioned in the boxing thread before but I can't remember, are they using 8 or 10oz gloves? They should be using 10oz at 152lbs but I can't remember if this was brought up in negotiations...
    They're using 10-ounce gloves, as are standard with anything above welterweight.

Every damn pacquiao fight is a catchweight

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Wasn't the Pacquiao-Margarito fight at a 150 pound catchweight? Safe to say Marg was not at his most comfortable weight, though it wouldn't have mattered one bit (like these two pounds won't matter).

Clottey couldn't punch his way out of a paperbag regardless of weight. A lack of speed, power and aggression were the issues for Clottey. It wouldn't have mattered if he was 200 pounds in that fight.

I don't think either of those fights compare much to this.

An aggressive banger like Cotto? Yes, absolutely. But Pacquiao fought him at a catchweight of 145 even after fighting DLH at 147.

There are fighters who can criticize Floyd for demanding a catchweight. Pacquiao isn't one of them.
    Yeah, what I meant was the weight difference on fight night. Pac definitely caught a lot of flack for all that catch-weight nonsense. Floyd will be giving up ~15+lbs in the ring, but that's not any more than what Pac was giving up on fight night regardless of weigh-in restrictions..I think all 4 of those guys outweighed Pac more than Canelo is going to outweigh Floyd..except De La Hoya, I think he actually weighed ~147 in the ring which was disgusting.

All Access 2 comes on tonight.

7 day weight in.

Mayweather weighed in at 152.2 pounds and Canelo weighed in at 157.4 pounds.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

There are rumors out there that Mayweather was dropped by a body shot during a sparring session on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    There are rumors out there that Mayweather was dropped by a body shot during a sparring session on Thursday.
    There ware also rumors that Canelo injured all of his sparring partners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Probably just bullshit to sell the fight. But I don't doubt Floyd and every other fighter who ever lived has been hurt, dropped, etc in sparring. There's only one way to get used to getting hit... it's getting hit. That's why you saw Pacquiao using that Kali stick technique. Floyd was probably getting acclimated to body work. Plus he's had issues with rib injuries before.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Kizzle
    There ware also rumors that Canelo injured all of his sparring partners.
    You're still a garbage ass rapper doe.

I'm going to this fight next week. Happy this undercard is pretty good. Pretty sure being at the live event wont feel as good as home or even a sports bar with it on. Unless you got those ring side seats where you see celebs? Doesnt appear to be the kind of event that is great from a watching point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I'm going to this fight next week. Happy this undercard is pretty good. Pretty sure being at the live event wont feel as good as home or even a sports bar with it on. Unless you got those ring side seats where you see celebs? Doesnt appear to be the kind of event that is great from a watching point of view.
    Just being at a big-time prize fight is an experience, regardless of where you're sitting. There is a certain buzz that comes with a boxing event like that which is really unlike anything in sports.

I actually had the good fortune to cover professional prizefights a couple times as a reporter. It was insane. Being that close, boxing takes on a whole different feel... You can hear bones shift when a good punch really makes an impact. It was great, except I was literally sprayed with blood a couple times. The pad I was using to write down notes of what was happening had drops of blood all over it. Pretty gross.

But, that's awesome you're going, man. Take some pics and be sure to post them.

Sh*t, I would rather sit ringside at a boxing event like this over any other sports attraction, NBA Finals, the Masters, Superbowl, World Series, UFC, . I would rather have the best seat in the house for this fight than Jack Nicholson's seat for Lakers game 7 of the NBA Finals. The only thing that can top boxing is some Van Damme Bloodsport fight to the death type sh*t.

Decent college freshman

I still dont think Canelo is ready for Floyd. Trout has been his only true test so far, I think he needed one or two more 'A' grade guys before Floyd.

Hopefully Canelo can make it interesting though.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Imo "The One" is Garcia vs Lucas that's going to steal the night, two massive punchers with solid chins banging it out. While I'm looking forward to Mayweather vs Canelo I'm probably most excited about the undercard fight more lol.

Fight Week baby!!