Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: What percentage of posters lie about their age?

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Well first off I don't think stuff like that is much of an indication of age anyway, but there are probably people on here who lie about there age because there are always the "you weren't even alive then" arguments. Don't know how many times people have said that to me about the 80's.
    Ultimately pointless, as they'll eventually end up exposing themselves by pretending to knowledge they don't have. I myself will definitely expose anyone pretending to knowledge they don't have should I happen to personally come across it.

"You weren't even alive then" is applicable because the person is talking about what they don't know. However, as most historians were not alive during the particular historical period of their expertise, being alive during a time is not a prerequisite for knowing what one is talking about. Therefore either knowing what one is talking about or not is what should be the focus, not one's age or what they were alive for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Ultimately pointless, as they'll eventually end up exposing themselves by pretending to knowledge they don't have. I myself will definitely expose anyone pretending to knowledge they don't have should I happen to personally come across it.

"You weren't even alive then" is applicable because the person is talking about what they don't know. However, as most historians were not alive during the particular historical period of their expertise, being alive during a time is not a prerequisite for knowing what one is talking about. Therefore either knowing what one is talking about or not is what should be the focus, not one's age or what they were alive for.
    Kinda agree, but about half of what we know about history are lies or are greatly exaggerated well that's a different topic anyway. 28 here soo it's really hard for me to comment on the league in the 50's, 60's, 70's and late 80's (that's why I'm here ).

Learning to shoot layups

123%

Look how much people skew what has happened within the past year. Why the fck would you trust what people say about things 50 years ago that weren't even recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    He's not barely top 10.. Most of the people rank him top 5.. I agree MJ was better than him but it close tho and Kobe still playing and might retire better than him someday..
    really, you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Look how much people skew what has happened within the past year. Why the fck would you trust what people say about things 50 years ago that weren't even recorded?
    Well, Wilt dominating basketball like no other 50 years ago isn't a myth

Good High School Starter

I'm 20 and about as mature as anyone. Theirs nothing wrong with an occasional "u mad" picture or any gifs/meme's for that matter. I'd agree that their are times when they're appropriate/inappropriate, obviously. But their definitely is a time when they're appropriate. Is their also a problem with using smilies?

U mirin my face?

I suspect only posters who are under 18 would do that which I am sure there are a lot of in insidehoops

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    I'm 20 and about as mature as anyone. Theirs nothing wrong with an occasional "u mad" picture or any gifs/meme's for that matter. I'd agree that their are times when they're appropriate/inappropriate, obviously. But their definitely is a time when they're appropriate.
    I have never since the Internet came into existence been on an online forum and thought, "You know, here's a good time for me to use a 'U Mad' picture."

I suppose that's simply indicative of the generational gap. I see no purpose to doing anything online that I wouldn't do offline, while many use the anonymity of the internet to act as they wouldn't/don't offline.

Good High School Starter

I have never since the Internet came into existence been on an online forum and thought, "You know, here's a good time for me to use a 'U Mad' picture."

I suppose that's simply indicative of the generational gap. I see no purpose to doing anything online that I wouldn't do offline, while many use the anonymity of the internet to act as they wouldn't/don't offline.
    Lighten up. Here's an example of a time I used a "u mad" picture, tell me if you have a problem with it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=266898&page=4

They're used for humor and nothing is wrong with that at the right time.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

I'm 20 but act 13 most of the time

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    If you don't agree with my opinions, you're a kid posting "U Mad" pics. If you agree with me, you must be a learned individual over the age of 35.
    That's how your OP reads, Great. Your job as an "elder" is to educate the youngsters, and leave it at that, if it's your choice. Other older posters, like myself, sometimes like debating these younger guys, if for no other reason than sometimes some facts get brought out that maybe they didn't know (or I didn't know).

ISH is the perfect balance of education and entertainment. Don't take it too personally.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    I am stunned how often I'll go to put someone whose intelligence, grammar, and behavior is that of a 13-14 year old and their profile says they are 28-40 years old...

I know they are lying because anyone that age who is that stupid surely never figured out how to use the internet.

Also if anyone over the age of 22 ever posts a "u mad" image, they should kill themselves.

No one really does that right?
    If you spend some time browsing facebook, I think you will find that you're mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I have no clue why somebody would fake their age. It's a basketball forum, not a bar. Really no advantage to being older.
    Most kids probably lie about their age, because they fear that they will ridiculed, or patronized, if they don't. They want the chance to be treated as equals.

Some pretend to be older, as a form of social posturing. They think that claiming an advanced age will give them some authority over others, or at least enhance their credibility. In these cases we should judge them by their posts, and set aside any claim that they make about their age. If they bring new and interesting information into the discussion, they should be praised for their knowledge, or wisdom. If they flaunt their ignorance, their arguments should be ignored, or refuted.

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    Lighten up. Here's an example of a time I used a "u mad" picture, tell me if you have a problem with it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=266898&page=4

They're used for humor and nothing is wrong with that at the right time.
    It's not that there is anything wrong with it, it's that it's not funny (to me). Ever.

It's not creative, it's using someone else's joke over and over and over again. It's immature, like a lot of things I thought were funny when I was younger. I'll expand at the end of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    That's how your OP reads, Great. Your job as an "elder" is to educate the youngsters, and leave it at that, if it's your choice. Other older posters, like myself, sometimes like debating these younger guys, if for no other reason than sometimes some facts get brought out that maybe they didn't know (or I didn't know).

ISH is the perfect balance of education and entertainment. Don't take it too personally.

That's how it reads to you. That's not at all the message I was trying to get across.

I don't know how old any of the people I regularly speak with are, but my guess is most are not as old as me. That's no matter.

My point was regarding the people whose conduct and content inspires me to put them on the ignore list. I am always surprised after seeing a "u mad" post or an obvious effort at trolling, when I click on the ignore button and see in their profile that they claim to be 25 or older.

I have no problem with younger people using the board and behaving however they want. This site welcomes any traffic it can get obviously and values quantity over quality, the opposite of my personal preference. We all use the site for our own reasons and that's the definition of free and fair.

I can't imagine why you'd think I take it personally, there is nothing personal about an anonymous forum. My question was simply about people lying about their age. The reasons for people doing so have been covered in this thread.

I don't think the "you weren't alive then" angle is ever a valid argument. It's also not a valid excuse for not knowing something. People today seem to take pride in their ignorance often. As an example Twitter. How often does someone of the older generation make news or die and Twitter is littered with "WTF is that", "Never heard of him", "Whose this old guy"...even during the Olympics when Paul McCartney performed people were boasting almost that they didn't know who he was. A simple google search would have cleared up their question of course and hidden their lack of knowledge. But instead they wear it as a retarded badge of honor.

Concluding,

When I was a kid/young adult I thought a lot of things that aren't funny to me now, were funny. I thought it was funny to yell "trim" or "p[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ssy" while walking down a busy street. I thought it was funny to throw food out the back of a moving car on the express way while on trips up north. I thought Adam Sandler was funny. I loved finding chat rooms in 1995 and trying to get a rise out of someone who took the internet to serious in my opinion. I enjoyed a lot of popular culture elements that now make me cringe.

I don't now enjoy those same things or their evolutionary equivalents, and either do my peers by in large. Thus I am surprised to find so many people who claim to be old like me find these new incarnations of popular humor appealing. Also very surprised that anyone born before the first Bush took office would still be trolling on the internet. I am sure it happens, but it seems impossible that it happens as frequently as I perceive it to.

In summation, aww fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k it.
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 08-19-2012 at 12:55 PM.