Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurt Bad

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Hurt Bad

Last night was my fourth game back. Haven't been pushing too much. Like 2 five minute stints. But last night our PG was missing, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I had 11 at the half and a few wow passes. Too many turnovers. And a couple ugly threes. But I had a good sweat and felt good.

As the second half started, I was at the top of the 2-3. A screen was set on me for their shooter to get over. I got on top of it, and as I went bye, the screener opened to roll, and stepped on my left heel.

That same nauseating stretch, the tell tale pop, and my left Achilles is gone now too.

Met with Orthopedist this morning. MRI tomorrow. Then we meet again tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we can get surgery in this week.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

damn, that sucks. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine the last time I played with him. Tried to change direction and his old man body fell apart on him. Heres to a successful recovery.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Last night was my fourth game back. Haven't been pushing too much. Like 2 five minute stints. But last night our PG was missing, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I had 11 at the half and a few wow passes. Too many turnovers. And a couple ugly threes. But I had a good sweat and felt good.

As the second half started, I was at the top of the 2-3. A screen was set on me for their shooter to get over. I got on top of it, and as I went bye, the screener opened to roll, and stepped on my left heel.

That same nauseating stretch, the tell tale pop, and my left Achilles is gone now too.

Met with Orthopedist this morning. MRI tomorrow. Then we meet again tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we can get surgery in this week.

Serious question.

Is this something that REALLY requires surgery?

I mean itd be one thing if your game was your career and you needed the absolute surest and quickest recovery. But in cases like this... I feel like this is just lining the doctors pockets. Muscle tears heal on their own dont they? If youre not a pro athlete, Id be skeptical surgery is REALLY necessary.

Doctors are no different than mechanics, lawyers, salesmen, politicians, or in other words HUMANS. They will pad a bill to help pay the mortgage on their beach house without batting an eye, and its easy to do bc everyone just figures "hey, hes the expert, better do what he says."

It irks me that medical professionals basically have free reign to prescribe whatever they want bc nobody else knows better, and it ends up affecting health costs and premiums to their gain at the expense of everyone else.

I mean no offense thorpe, but like most here youre a middle aged guy whose best athletic days are behind him. Do you really need to go under the knife for this??

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Serious question.

I mean itd be one thing if your game was your career and you needed the absolute surest and quickest recovery. But in cases like this... I feel like this is just lining the doctors pockets. Muscle tears heal on their own dont they? If youre not a pro athlete, Id be skeptical surgery is REALLY necessary.

Doctors are no different than mechanics, lawyers, salesmen, politicians, or in other words HUMANS. They will pad a bill to help pay the mortgage on their beach house without batting an eye, and its easy to do bc everyone just figures "hey, hes the expert, better do what he says."

It irks me that medical professionals basically have free reign to prescribe whatever they want bc nobody else knows better, and it ends up affecting health costs and premiums to their gain at the expense of everyone else.

I mean no offense thorpe, but like most here youre a middle aged guy whose best athletic days are behind him. Do you really need to go under the knife for this??
    Small tears do heal. Complete separation of tendons do not. This is about being able to function again .

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Serious question.

I dont think you realize what his injury was. This wasnt a small muscle tear, it was a complete separation of the tendon from the bone. I would say it was neccessary but, then again, I like being able to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Small tears do heal. Complete separation of tendons do not. This is about being able to function again .
    shoulda scrolled before I posted. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Cool story bro. Needs more slutty foreigners and poker though.
    def. more slutty fergners. I dont care about the poker.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Great read and great battle, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Pulled my groin yesterday

there was a turnover, I was running on the left, old ass dude was half assin it on the right, little spanish dude had the ball in the middle. 3(2 and a half) on 2 break. spanish dude pass to me, took a hard dribble, elevated and dunked on some tall goofy white guy. The rim broke and I fell awkwardly but I was alright. As everyone was joking around about breaking the rim I saw the tall goofy guys girl watching(why do tall goofy lookin dudes always have hot girls?) I went up to her and started dancing and she smiled, then I did the splits and pulled my groin. Got back up without any hands though. Saved face.

Damn Thorpe. That really sucks.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Were you battling a lot of ankle injuries when you were younger? because this happening to both of your Achilles is absolutely shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Were you battling a lot of ankle injuries when you were younger? because this happening to both of your Achilles is absolutely shocking.

I did chronically sprain my ankles when I was young.

But my doctor said this is the result of a few things. But a big one is apparently that I have what he calls an aggressive posture. I naturally lean forward 5

I don't get picked last at the park anymore thebirdman's Avatar

I barely ever post on here, but I always liked your posts and you seem like a stand up guy. You stay positive (at least to the ISH community), which is really impressive.

Good luck with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman
    I barely ever post on here, but I always liked your posts and you seem like a stand up guy. You stay positive (at least to the ISH community), which is really impressive.

Good luck with this one.
    Thanks. I'll be back.

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted on the recovery and hopefully we can look forward to some good movie reviews while you rest up. Sucks to have it happen so soon and on a fluke play to boot. Best of luck.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Good luck man, kind a interesting reading your misfortunes and how things happen in an instance.

Speedy recoveries my ish brother!