Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Reasons why the Kobe vs. Jordan comparison is more intriguing than Lebron vs. Jordan

The comparisons between Kobe or Lebron vs. Jordan are pretty endless. While this isn't a Kobe > Lebron or Lebron > Kobe thread or either > Jordan, I just wanna talk about some of the things that make Kobe's comparison to Jordan so much more intriguing. And also why I think it's one of the most heavily discussed topics in basketball. And if not this, so many other topics hover around it, it's really interesting.

So with that, I just find the Kobe/Jordan comparisons a lot more compelling than that of Lebron's, because of how much personality the comparison has.

1) Kobe watched Jordan growing up; Lebron likely saw more Kobe as the best player on TV then
    2) Kobe actually played Jordan in the league: Kobe as a rising star, and Jordan in his grand finale years. Lebron will never have this opportunity.
    3) Similar to the hype of Lebron joining the NBA while he was in high school, there was a similar hype level with Kobe being the next Jordan while Jordan was still playing
    4) The similarity in game play-styles: it just shows the personality of the relationship between Kobe and Jordan; how much Kobe wants to be Jordan, or be better than Jordan, yet respects that he is Kobe because of Jordan. Lebron on the other hand, while incredible talents, just doesn't have that same mirror image to Jordan, as a playmaker
    5) Respect in each other. It's clear Kobe respects Jordan, he's even said Jordan is the greatest of all-time, yet clearly wants to overshadow him, or die trying. Likewise, Jordan has always had Kobe's back, truly passing on the torch, rather than now a days where everyone is battling for it (Lebron vs. Durant vs. Kobe vs. whoever)
    6) They had the same coach. Stayed in the same team their whole career. It really is amazing how many similarities there are, what are the chances they had the same coach for most of their careers? One thing Phil said that was surprising in comparing Jordan to Kobe was, Jordan was competitive EVERYTHING: cards, chess, pool, it wasn't just basketball. Kobe on the other hand, is only extremely competitive in basketball. This only adds the rivalry he has with Jordan, it's only in basketball and only because of Jordan. Heck, they even won their championships in very similar ways (2 3-peats, 1 3-peat + 2-peat)
    7) That elusive 6th ring. This would be his crowning achievement in his Legacy, to finally "match" Jordan. The debates on if they were on the same level would never end, but this would be a significant achievement in making that comparison more "credible." It makes me understand how a 35 year old player with 17 years of game legs, multiple injuries, and a team that just isn't the favorite to win it all, and THEN has a complete achilles tear at the end of the season… and then comes back, is incredible.

People say you gotta respect Kobe's game, I think his thirst to match Jordan is far more impressive.
    Last edited by XxNemesis29xX; 12-10-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Reasons why the Kobe vs. Jordan comparison is more intriguing than Lebron vs. Jordan

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Reasons why the Kobe vs. Jordan comparison is more intriguing than Lebron vs. Jordan

You are just saying shit that should be obvious but people are caught up in the moment of LBJ winning his 2 rings.

Kobe stans just need to let the dust settle. We all know who the players and all time greats respect more. We all know LBJ isn't winning another ring as the guy. We all know those hours of flopping footage are gonna stick with him forever. We all know the 7 wasted years in Cleveland. the decision, and the chokejob will stick with him.

Right now everyone is on LBJs dick but the dust will settle when the Heat don't win the title this year.

I find the Lebron vs Jordan comparison more intriguing because of Lebron's dominance in the league. Kobe never reached a Jordan like, Bird, Magic level. Lebron has.

Definitely, Kobe and Jordan are more comparable.

-They both never left their own teams (Wizards doesn't really matter..)
    -They never had to leave and team up with contemporary all stars in order to win
    -They both took over the game at will, never back down
    -They didn't need someone else to make a shot to save their career.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

The Jordan and Kobe comparisons are tiresome though. I mean people have been saying Kobe was the next Jordan from the mid/late 90s and always compare the 2.

Kobe may play more like Jordan than Lebron does, but we've seen what Kobe can do. Great player, just not on Jordan's level. A lot of people probably spent too much time on the comparisons rather than just appreciate Kobe for what he is.

Jordan is the consensus GOAT player, and Lebron has a better chance at equaling/surpassing Jordan than Kobe does/did.
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 12-10-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Banned

Comparing two players wherein one is a considered an inferior clone is somehow more interesting than a comparison between two players considered the absolute best of their generation with widely different games.

Saw a basketball once

Because Kobe was a slave to the Jordan legacy. You can't out MJ, well ... MJ. Which is essentially what Kobe has attempted to do his entire career. It's weird.

Kobe is like a lesser clone, extension of Jordan. He's such a fan of MJ, and has so much respect that the basis of his game and persona is entirely predicated on Jordan. But at the same time he's trying to out due him? Doesn't make sense, and why he never would've been able to do it. When I think Kobe, I think of fake Jordan or the guy who carried MJ's mantle.

That's why MJ also has Kobe's back in all these contemporary comparisons with other current players. He acknowledges him as his heir, his kid brother, not better than himself but Jordan being so competitive has to back the player most like himself. That's why he said "he put in the work to deserve the comparison"

LeBron however broke the mold as a player, and even though he grew up watching Jordan like Kobe, inspired by him, he didn't feel the need to attempt to be just like him. He developed his own niche. Where as Kobe as great as he is ... and believe me he's top ten caliber all-time, never quite was able to do the same.

I think the relationship between all three of them is extremely interesting. If LeBron continues his dominance with MVPs, rings, etc. Kobe may end up getting lost in the shuffle in the middle child type scenario. The brief transitional superstar between 2x transcendent and ultimately game altering type talents in Jordan and James.
    very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Why won't MJ engage in a mentor relationship with LeBron the way he did Kobe for so many years? It really makes you think. Jordan's always the competitor. This has to play apart in it, in my mind.
    Jordan was out of league by the time Lebron came. Kobe came in when Jordan was still around. It was on the latter stages of his career but guessing they may have had a bigger connection bc Jordan was still doing his thing when Kobe entered the league.

College superstar

None of them are intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    None of them are intriguing.
    kind of like this post right?

I think it is somewhat no doubt. Just simply due to the fact they are so similar. But the weird part about Kobe is he's one of the immortals who didn't really reshape basketball. MJ was the guy at 6'6 who had Dr.J athletic ability and combined with Jerry West style all around dominance of the SG position. By that I mean West was a great scorer, great passer, great defender, and great rebounder all in one. No other SG dominated in all phases like that until MJ came around. Plus his scoring skillset was similar to a George Gervin mixed with Dr.J and David Thompson. That is flat out redefining basketball right there. And it made MJ widely considered the GOAT over time once his resume filled out. But even before MJ won rings, he was widely regarded as the best player of all time in terms individual talent. Kobe was so similar to MJ size and skill wise that its an uphill battle. And plus Kobe never could really dominate those MVP awards like MJ. Other than that, Kobe measures up favorably to MJ in terms of career numbers and rings.

But Bron, like MJ flat out redefined basketball. And Bron actually does things that MJ can't do because of size. Bron is the size of many PF's but yet is a freak athlete on MJ's level. MJ is as versatile as a 6'6 player can be. But the extent of it is playing and defending PG, SG, and SF. Bron comes as close to anybody as being able to play and defend all five positions. So in that sense, it makes Bron the guy who NOBODY has come close to really seeing. As great as Magic and Big O were, they aren't capable of doing all the things Bron can do. If anybody is equipped to topple MJ, it's Bron. I frankly think it has to be a big guy or a versatile phenom like Bron to best MJ. Perimeter guys MJ's size or under don't have much of a chance. MJ, Ali, and Ruth are guys who are virtually untouchable if u are too similar. U have to bring something totally different to the table. And from there u have to have transcendant impact and the resume between the lines to be as iconic. So Bron in that sense is the guy most equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Kobe continued to speak to MJ and ask for advice well after Jordan was retired. This has been documented. LeBron never reached out to MJ, but revealed right at the start of the season he really wants a relationship with him. He wants the approval of Jordan, given he was his favorite player growing up. Why wouldn't MJ be willing to give LeBron advice? I think it's interesting.

Granted to Kobe's credit, his adulation for Jordan was obvious, and he sought out help from Mike even during games when they were playing.

My reasoning? MJ doesn't help him out because he realizes his ultimate potential as it relates to himself. As much as Kobe tried to be like Mike, he was great, but he flat out wasn't as great as Jordan was. Never had the opportunity to be better. He was the kid brother imitating his big brother who he idolized.

LeBron with a push, however who knows, he could wind up better. He's always had that potential. Do I think he'll go down greater than Jordan? Highly doubt it.
    Why should Jordan reach out to Lebron and give him his approval? Shouldn't Lebron be the one reaching out for advice and approval? Why should he sit on his ass and wait for the best ever to come to him with advice? If you want a relationship with MJ, then make a relationship with him. If Lebron has never reached out to MJ, I hardly see it as "MJ not wanting him to surpass him" or anything like that.

if nba players were assigned another job, jordan and kobe would be stuntman or test pilot, lebron, an accountant..thats why we don't compare them

College superstar

Jordan didn't redefine anything.

Kobe isn't an immortal.

LeBron doesn't guard five positions, unless you work for ESPN.