Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    lol @ the people in this thread saying smoke weed and drink prior to or during a flight and problem solved. As someone who has what he has, I can tell you that smoking weed and drinking don't help. Especially weed. Weed is an anxiety sufferers worst nightmare. Drinking I guess when you drink enough does calm you down at least while under the influence but it's the same effect as taking a xanax or something. It'll calm you down for the moment but make you feel worse when it wears off.
    I suffer from anxiety too and weed used to calm me down. Cocaine is what you should not take.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    I suffer from anxiety too and weed used to calm me down. Cocaine is what you should not take.
    I guess it's different for different people, but at least in severe cases weed causes a lot of the symptoms that anxiety causes. Makes you paranoid and overthink about what's going on around you as well as inside your own body. But I guess no two people are alike so 2 people with the same overall problem could have the same drug but have different responses/reactions to it.

edit: but I actually know people who developed panic disorder and general anxiety disorder FROM smoking weed.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I agree. I have no problem with him needing help and telling you. But it feels like his problems were understated, and i have more problem (this will sound strange) with him asking for the private bus as opposed to him needing to miss time until he gets his mind working right. That to me feels like he wants special treatment, which is negative.

Wasn't a huge risk where you drafted him but the signs seem bad.

understated? i think hes been very open regarding his issues. hes done several pretty high profile interviews, and has revealed a lot of very personal things, that im sure many, if in his position, would have kept to themselves.

realistically, nobody is in position to judge him, since none of us know what hes truly going through

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    I guess it's different for different people, but at least in severe cases weed causes a lot of the symptoms that anxiety causes. Makes you paranoid and overthink about what's going on around you as well as inside your own body. But I guess no two people are alike so 2 people with the same overall problem could have the same drug but have different responses/reactions to it.

edit: but I actually know people who developed panic disorder and general anxiety disorder FROM smoking weed.
    That being said, you're spot on with the observation that it was his anxiety asking for a bus. Seems like he needs CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy) along with meditation to learn to separate himself from his anxiety thoughts. Medication is just a patch, therapy is more important. I took CBT and it took me out of the hole.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    lol @ these weed and liquor "solutions" being presented by ISH's mental health disorder experts. I'm sure weed and liquor would solve all of Royce's problems
    Well, I'm sure they couldn't hurt psychologically speaking ...... oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    I remember soccer team Arsenal had similar problems with their star Dennis Bergkamp.
    True but in sport where the vast majority of his games took place within one country (for most of his career a small country) where teams are transported by road, and with a less hectic schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    I have no problem with him wanting to get these accommodations, but why now? Why didn't he speak with the team when he first signed his contract? Sounds to me like he didn't want to go to training camp and he's using this as an excuse.
    Bolded makes sense. It's not an excuse but this is coming out late in the day (not his anxiety and mental health issues, but specifics about not attending camp, intent to use buses). It does make worry whether there's a risk of him being found in breach of his contract. Obviously Houston don't want to cause trouble at this point, but if White isn't attending camp and especially if has trouble getting to games (and we don't know the details at this time so some people are dismissing him prematurely) but if he doesn't do what he's obliged to then ... well I'd be concerned for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Wow, some people here are ridiculous.

I actually think this makes some sense. I don't know how bad the schedule will be for the Rockets (in the future, maybe the NBA takes tis into consideration) but this makese sense.

And really, shame on his agent for not spreading the word. Common sense. Maybe even try to get him close to home. He was probably too scared of having the guy's stock and money drop. Should have been more concerned with the player and his needs.
    Not the agent's fault. At all. White interviewed with teams. White is the one who should have communicated any wishes he had to teams directly or to and through his agent. The agent is his employee and will have done what was asked of him. Only if agents hushed things up, gagged him from speaking freely and have placed him in a contract he'll have to end up breaking will/would it be the case that they were negligent. There's a lot of ifs there.

Anyway I wish him well with his NBA career and more importantly with his mental health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Maybe basketball isn't the ideal career for him....must be tough but still he's going to struggle if this is the case.
    Right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    That being said, you're spot on with the observation that it was his anxiety asking for a bus. Seems like he needs CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy) along with meditation to learn to separate himself from his anxiety thoughts. Medication is just a patch, therapy is more important. I took CBT and it took me out of the hole.
    Agreed, i'm in process of CBT now so that's why I was saying I get what he's saying. At it's worst, my family would be like "hey come and do this, try this, do this or that it will help" and i'd be like "nah i'm not in a position to be able to handle that right now. I'll do it when I get better." But the irony is that it's the DOING that makes you better. One of the first things my own CBT therapist told me was that you have to die before you truly live. You have to do all those things that terrify you over and over (as you know) and it may suck at first while you're doing it until your brain gets retrained and you learn that it's not really something to be feared but rather understood. So taking time to build up to being able to handle going on the plane will not foster improvement in his ability to handle going on the plane. It rather reinforces his problem and is avoidance behavior. It's not like people think where you can actually beat your fears without facing them head on.

White said it is fault he did not come to the Rockets sooner about getting his issues with travel resolved, but he pointed out his illness had a lot do with that as well.

"I will take full responsibility for that," White said. "You have to understand that with the disorder I have specifically, it was very worrisome, stressful for me to even make a decision to be able to ask for what I need.

"There was a certain amount of fear that went into me even stepping up and asking for what I need because, let's face it, the ramifications could have been a number of things, and one of those could have been me not being in the league come two years from now or even now.

"That was very scary for me personally. It came to a point where I really had to decide 'okay either you're going to step up and ask for what you need or deal with the consequences that may come if this isn't supported,' and I wasn't willing to do that in the end. So I felt the need to step up and ask.

White said he is looking forward to rejoining the Rockets.
    Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19...#ixzz28N8DMZS9

Berkshire is the Woods hipballinjigga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I have anxiety disorders and OCD and it can be hell. He probably has social anxiety too which makes him anxious around people. I would think he is on some kind of ssri or tricyclic antidepressant (the older ones before they came out with ssri's) that lean towards helping anxiety and ocd more so than depression. He could be on luvox, celexa, lexapro or what I was just put on was Clomipramine which is one of the older TCA's, but it is supposed to work better than the newer drugs for OCD and anxiety. I would think he would be on some kind of benzo too when he's really stressed out. I'm prescribed 60 2mg klonopin to take twice a day as needed.

People that say just smoke weed are stupid. I've smoked a lot of bud in my day, but when you have anxiety disorders the marijuana can only make it worse. You've heard of regular people who get paranoid or really anxious when they smoke. I've had that happen to me because of my anxiety disorders and it's only worse. Usually if i'm smoking in an comfortable situation it doesn't affect me that way but if I'm already anxious and I smoked it would just make it worse and make me extremely paranoid.

Drinking would definitely help as you just don't care when intoxicated, but that is why so many people with these disorders become alcoholics. I've had my run in with alcoholism and am only getting out of it the last 6 months. Drinking is the worst possible self medication he could choose.

First, fantastic post that offers a true insight to what Royce might be going through. I didn't see that anyone else really applauded you for sharing your own issues so openly, so thank you for that.

In response to this post:

White said it is fault he did not come to the Rockets sooner about getting his issues with travel resolved, but he pointed out his illness had a lot do with that as well.

"I will take full responsibility for that," White said. "You have to understand that with the disorder I have specifically, it was very worrisome, stressful for me to even make a decision to be able to ask for what I need.

"There was a certain amount of fear that went into me even stepping up and asking for what I need because, let's face it, the ramifications could have been a number of things, and one of those could have been me not being in the league come two years from now or even now.

"That was very scary for me personally. It came to a point where I really had to decide 'okay either you're going to step up and ask for what you need or deal with the consequences that may come if this isn't supported,' and I wasn't willing to do that in the end. So I felt the need to step up and ask.

White said he is looking forward to rejoining the Rockets.
    I think it is kind of poor he didn't say anything. All i got from this article is that he was afraid someone would not draft him if they knew what he needed. Well, i hate to admit, he probably would of not been drafted and it's unfair to the team to not have all the proper information first hand.

Basically, what I think he is doing is fighting for "employee rights" when he was not upfront at first. If the Rockets were not afraid of the public backlash, they are probably within their rights to rescind their contract to him.

What Royce is trying to do here is get WHAT HE WANTS, even though it is what he needs, without being up front. Using your illness as an excuse for not being up front is just a stupid cop out. If there is one thing that bothers me it is when people use their own issues as a reason to not do what everyone else is required to do.

I hope this situation does get solved soon. He is incredibly talented but i hope it is worth all of the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
    First, fantastic post that offers a true insight to what Royce might be going through. I didn't see that anyone else really applauded you for sharing your own issues so openly, so thank you for that.

In response to this post:

I think it is kind of poor he didn't say anything. All i got from this article is that he was afraid someone would not draft him if they knew what he needed. Well, i hate to admit, he probably would of not been drafted and it's unfair to the team to not have all the proper information first hand.

Basically, what I think he is doing is fighting for "employee rights" when he was not upfront at first. If the Rockets were not afraid of the public backlash, they are probably within their rights to rescind their contract to him.

What Royce is trying to do here is get WHAT HE WANTS, even though it is what he needs, without being up front. Using your illness as an excuse for not being up front is just a stupid cop out. If there is one thing that bothers me it is when people use their own issues as a reason to not do what everyone else is required to do.

I hope this situation does get solved soon. He is incredibly talented but i hope it is worth all of the headaches.
    Completely disagree. As said in that very article it's not at all convenient to take an 8 hour bus ride vs. a 2 hour flight, and his offer is to cover the cost of the bus at his own expense. I don't think it has anything to do with employee rights even though he has mentioned that. What you may not understand about anxiety is that it has the tendency to make you doubt yourself. When he saw the schedule come out, he panicked. He was worried about the travel responsibilities he had and wondered if he'd be able to manage it. It's his fault in the sense that he backtracked on previous word given and told them at the last minute but in another sense it's not his fault because that's what anxiety does to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    I'm dead serious.

I mean bro this is just his first season. We aren't going all in on this kid in his first season. He's not the savior of the franchise right now.

I say let him take some time and get right. He's not being a distraction. He's not blowing up on teammates or raping bitches or getting his father killed by not paying gambling debts. He's simply missing training camp to deal with his mental health instead of waiting until something bad happens.
    People with disorders of this magnitude don;t just "get their mind right". I don't think this is is something that goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    People with disorders of this magnitude don;t just "get their mind right". I don't think this is is something that goes away.
    You do not have to live like that.
    Proper counselling to correct root causes and changes to thought pattern and lifestyles will heal mental health.
    This guy seems to have given up on that from my limited reading, and wants the world to revolve around his illness.
    IMO that's a bad example for mental health sufferers.

shoulda made these demands before he signed his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    You do not have to live like that.
    Proper counselling to correct root causes and changes to thought pattern and lifestyles will heal mental health.
    This guy seems to have given up on that from my limited reading, and wants the world to revolve around his illness.
    IMO that's a bad example for mental health sufferers.

Please stop.