Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you dunk??

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: Can you dunk??

today I went to the local bball court and damn I was flying. Dunking with easy off two or off one, both handers reversals and etc.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

I'm 6'2 and I can dunk with ease. Athletic ability and height run through my family. All my brothers can dunk, my dad could my cousins can and we're all at least 6'1.

But I'm coming off surgery on my right foot and haven't played ball in months. In fact, I won't be able to play for 2 more months. I really fear that my athleticism won't be the same and that my skill will have declined...

NBA Superstar

I do not recall you being able to dunk before. Perhaps I have just grown forgetful. Is that a regulation height goal? If so, well done. That looked pretty easy.

Home of the 16

I'm 6'0, & I have no vertical leap at all whatsoever. Kids were like touching the board & stuff, & I couldn't, til a couple of months later... & what's weird was, I played F/C in our league back home & SG/SF in JV/Varsity, & I out rebound the **** out of everyone... I guess my instincts/anticipation is good? And by that, it gives me the ability to anticipate where the ball is headed after a shot is missed & position myself correctly? Because seriously, out of 8 times, I jump higher than them & get the ball.... & this has been bugging me for YEARS. & yeah, let me post too ... haha you don't want none of that.

What are your thoughts on that ISH?

For me, I don't know the right word, but let's start with -- bizarre & weird. lol

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Nah. It's more about genes than supplements.
    & hardwork. You gotta do those squats & vertical leap exercises!

Look. my mom & dad are short as f*** ... 5'6 & 5'2 ... & I'm 6 ft.! & I didn't take any supplements while growing up! NO VITAMINS, NOTHING! JUST PLAYED & PLAYED... I drank milk like a motherf*cker, though. Not one of those fake commercialized milk in the Philippines like bear brand & f*cking Nido ... I was drinking the real milk produced in the states! I live in a US military base in Germany at that time with the fam.... just sayin. lol

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    I'm 6'0, & I have no vertical leap at all whatsoever. Kids were like touching the board & stuff, & I couldn't, til a couple of months later... & what's weird was, I played F/C in our league back home & SG/SF in JV/Varsity, & I out rebound the **** out of everyone... I guess my instincts/anticipation is good? And by that, it gives me the ability to anticipate where the ball is headed after a shot is missed & position myself correctly? Because seriously, out of 8 times, I jump higher than them & get the ball.... & this has been bugging me for YEARS. & yeah, let me post too ... haha you don't want none of that.

What are your thoughts on that ISH?

For me, I don't know the right word, but let's start with -- bizarre & weird. lol
    For me that tells me you've got a good motor, instincts, and positioning. It gets said a lot, but jumping high does not necessarily make a good rebounder. It's but one piece of the puzzle. Rebounding is kind of like defense, in that a lot of folks don't always want to do what's required to be great at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I do not recall you being able to dunk before. Perhaps I have just grown forgetful. Is that a regulation height goal? If so, well done. That looked pretty easy.
    Its was most definitely couple inches lower. But Im more than capable of jamming it on a 10ft.

You are correct, I wasnt able to dunk last summer, but somehow every year my jump improves. Im almost 21 but still growing.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Its was most definitely couple inches lower. But Im more than capable of jamming it on a 10ft.

You are correct, I wasnt able to dunk last summer, but somehow every year my jump improves. Im almost 21 but still growing.
    Good stuff, sir. I went through the same thing after high school. I didn't grow anymore height-wise beyond age 16 or 17, but my body continued to develop physically well into my 20's.

Learning to shoot layups Ill Will's Avatar

i've picked up basketball recently but have a decent vertical from playing volleyball. i can grab the rim with two hands from a running start, but i have mediocre ball handling and dribbling skills and it seems like when i jump with a ball i have to focus on holding the ball and not jumping. what kind of footwork/hold should i try and does dunking a tennis ball and working up really help?

I'm probably 2-4" from touching the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I used to be able to when I played a lot an kept myself in game shape. I'm 6'3" so I didn't have all that much trouble dunking. I haven't played competitively in probably 2-2.5 years and can't get off the ground like I used to. I can still get up to the rim but my hands aren't big enough to palm it for the dunk.

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.
    Update:

Still haven't played in a while but after about 2 months of lifting 4-5 days per week I stopped by a court to test it out. It took a couple jumps to warm up but I was able to get a weak dunk down. I'm probably 2-3 inches away from throwing it down consistently and another inch or two away from doing in game dunks. I think by summer I will be throwing it down again easily.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Update:

Still haven't played in a while but after about 2 months of lifting 4-5 days per week I stopped by a court to test it out. It took a couple jumps to warm up but I was able to get a weak dunk down. I'm probably 2-3 inches away from throwing it down consistently and another inch or two away from doing in game dunks. I think by summer I will be throwing it down again easily.
    Yup. I've got no doubts. If you get out there at 22 and start playing again, being as close to dunking consistently as you are already, it's going to be pretty legit.

Decent playground baller

anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jump

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jump
    I'm the opposite. I jump way higher jumping off one foot