Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad earlofupstate's Avatar

Post The Mike D'antoni Thread

This guy does not know how to coach without a Steve Nash type of PG running the show for him. His substitutions suck too.

I started this thread as I am fed up with him. Don't be mad at me mods!
    I wasn't sure if it should go in the Mike D'Antoni thread.

Just wondered what everyone elses thoughts were on this after a 5 game losing streak.

Yea or Nay
    Last edited by earlofupstate; 03-16-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: pronunciation (I hope I spelled that right)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Take a hike Mike thread

I think it's time to let him go. The team is not playing hard for him. When that happens, it becomes a lost cause.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I think it's time to let him go. The team is not playing hard for him. When that happens, it becomes a lost cause.
    Question guys.....

Do you think Stat and D'antoni really buried the hatchet?

Or is he playing out of character on purpose to get him fired?

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Question guys.....

Do you think Stat and D'antoni really buried the hatchet?

Or is he playing out of character on purpose to get him fired?
    Good question. No clue. Would not be surprised if that were the case. It seems like he is trying, but you never know. I don't place the blame for the Knicks loses on Amar'e. He basically has no help out there.

I think they are tuning D'Antoni out. It's crossed my mind. But STAT is going to injure himself with the way he's playing. Not good.

Good question. No clue. Would not be surprised if that were the case. It seems like he is trying, but you never know. I don't place the blame for the Knicks loses on Amar'e. He basically has no help out there.
    No what I mean is, every game he has played, he stands near the three point line, the iso's his way in the paint on purpose which results into a strip, turnover or offensive foul.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    No what I mean is, every game he has played, he stands near the three point line, the iso's his way in the paint on purpose which results into a strip, turnover or offensive foul.
    Yea but is that him trying to sabotage the coach or the coach just having no idea on how to set up the offense.

Yea but is that him trying to sabotage the coach or the coach just having no idea on how to set up the offense.
    D'antoni isn't even coaching to me.

So I think Amar'e is doing it somewhat on purpose.

Banned

Amare doesn't strike me as a guy that'll play with an agenda and put team succeess at risk. I think he's playing the way he's playing cause Felton can't properly run the pick-and-roll. There were several instances where they tried to run it and Amare was open rolling to the basket and Felton just couldn't get him the ball. So how else are they supposed to score if the PG can't get the ball to the right people? There was a play highlighted at half time I thin that illustrated what I'm talking about. I've said this since the summer time. We need a specific type of PG to make this system work. So either we try and find that PG or we dump D'Antoni for a more traditional coach.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    Amare doesn't strike me as a guy that'll play with an agenda and put team succeess at risk. I think he's playing the way he's playing cause Felton can't properly run the pick-and-roll. There were several instances where they tried to run it and Amare was open rolling to the basket and Felton just couldn't get him the ball. So how else are they supposed to score if the PG can't get the ball to the right people? There was a play highlighted at half time I thin that illustrated what I'm talking about. I've said this since the summer time. We need a specific type of PG to make this system work. So either we try and find that PG or we dump D'Antoni for a more traditional coach.
    I'm am truly all for giving Mike his pinkslip and I would give Mark Jackson a shot. It can't be any worse can it?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

If they don't make the playoffs, I think it's safe to say he's gone. I mean granted this team doesn't know its identity yet considering all the new faces, but you have to make adjustments from one game to the next, and it doesn't look they are doing that. They played fantastic against Chicago, and it all went downhill after that.

Personally, I don't want to wait for the end of the regular season. I would rather see Mike out of there now while there's still hope.

NBA rookie of the year

Jeff Van Gundy!

There was a disconcerting interview with one of the Knicks assistants at halftime. He was basically asked, "At what point, with the team not shooting well, do you step in and tell them to stop shooting threes?".

His response was essentially, "We don't. Those are the shots we design for them to take, they just have to shoot them with confidence." WTF? Where's Plan B? They look so much better when they attack the rim. If they had played the first half of the Nuggets game the way they played the second half, they may well have won. If they can remember that and carry it over to the next game, they may be on to something. They even pulled off a couple of Pick and Rolls tonight, which left me quite flabbergasted and bemused.

D'Antoni's system can be very effective; if only they could get the Pick and Roll going. Get into the paint and work from the inside out. Threes are headshots; they need to work the body. Inside -> out. Felton has to get it going in a big way, or he has to be replaced.

Yeah that was Phil Weber, a D'antoni cronie.

He specifically said, "the three was open, we have to shoot the open shot, we have to shoot it with confidence."

Of course that was the response to if the three wasn't falling can't you just go inside.

Breen questioned the coaches idea in the commentary by saying that doesn't make any sense.

And D'Anphoney won't change his gameplan. That's why we are getting beat. This guy, to me, is basically saying, "I'm not going to change, FU".

Mike D'antoni says:
    "Should we just get the ball on offense and throw it out of bounds and just run back down the court? You can't tell guys to just stop shooting three pointers and take it to the basket. The game doesn't work that way. You've got to keep shooting!"