Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2288
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Shaka said no

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Shaka said no
    I've been following it pretty closely, and I'm not surprised. From the beginning it seemed unlikely. Oh well, on to plan B, whoever that is. Probably upwards of 10 names being thrown around.

F him and VCU. Always hated those assholes going to GMU anyways.
    Last edited by IlliniFan; 03-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Ugh.. Shaka noo!!!

People forget/don't realize how big VCU is. It has 30k+ students, pretty sure it's the biggest school in Virginia, hell it's like twice the size of UVA, they have money. Internet chatter says they may be going to the A10 w/ Butler (which'd be pretty awesome).

He's a hot commodity. He doesn't have to settle for a 3rd tier program when he could snag something better. He could have turned them around, but here's to him finding something better.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    He's a hot commodity. He doesn't have to settle for a 3rd tier program when he could snag something better. He could have turned them around, but here's to him finding something better.
    lol 3rd tier. please lay the tiers out for me.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    He may not be a hot commodity a year from now. He already failed to do what he did last year. What happens if he doesn't make the tournament next year. And furthermore holding out for a dream job is fine but what happens if those schools don't want him. He could look really Smart or look like a total fool in a couple of years. We'll see how it goes and Illinois isn't a 3rd tier job you don't know what you are talking about.

The champ is here. The Big Skinny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    People forget/don't realize how big VCU is. It has 30k+ students, pretty sure it's the biggest school in Virginia, hell it's like twice the size of UVA, they have money. Internet chatter says they may be going to the A10 w/ Butler (which'd be pretty awesome).
    Where did you hear that? link me!!

The champ is here. The Big Skinny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy
    He may not be a hot commodity a year from now. He already failed to do what he did last year. What happens if he doesn't make the tournament next year. And furthermore holding out for a dream job is fine but what happens if those schools don't want him. He could look really Smart or look like a total fool in a couple of years. We'll see how it goes and Illinois isn't a 3rd tier job you don't know what you are talking about.
    Same could have been said about Mark Few at Gonzaga. Look how it turned out for him. Not saying Shaka is the same, but both did it with mostly low tier high school prospects. Gonzaga is consistently in the tourney and have been doing well.

Lot of smoke around Brad Stevens right now.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    lol 3rd tier. please lay the tiers out for me.
    3rd is generous. Lets look at championships and champ game appearances in the past 20 years and try to tell me you're better than 3-4th tier.

You guys are so delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
    Where did you hear that? link me!!
    Just message board stuff, I don't know if there's anything real behind it. But Butler's legitimately looking into the A10 to replace Temple, that's a definite fact.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Lot of smoke around Brad Stevens right now.
    Good luck. I'm not knocking Illinois but there's not a chance in hell Stevens takes that job. Indiana, Carolina, and Duke are the only ones I'd say have high odds of getting him should they offer. Then he'd listen to schools like UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, the rest of the blue bloods.

Anyone else, not a chance.

Honestly, I agree with Duece. At this point, Illinios fits right into the third tier after thier recent history over the past 5 or so years.

If you want to go back 20-25 years, explain to me why you're better than the following. This is just off the top off my head. Your claim to fame is ONE finals appearance and one final four in the past 23 years:

Kentucky
    Syracuse
    Kansas
    Duke
    UCLA
    Florida
    North Carolina
    Michigan State
    Michigan
    Butler
    Connecticut
    Purdue
    Villanova
    Indiana
    Maryland
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Ohio State

Honorable mention Cincinnati, UNLV, VCU, Louisville, Georgetown, probably more.

Show me the tiers where you're above 3rd.
    Last edited by DeuceWallaces; 03-24-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Besides, I'm really not all that sure Stevens runs the type of program or is the type of coach that'd work at Illinois. He doesn't have much experience at all in big time recruiting, he gets most 2/3 star guys and coaches them up. He'll have Nolan Berry soon, but he's like a top 60 4 star and that's by far his best recruit ever. Remember Matt Howard? He didn't go to Purdue because there was no scholarship for him. Those're the types of guys he wins with, discarded (however wrongly) middle tier recruits.

He could do great at a bona fide blue blood where recruits come to him and he can pick whomever he wants to fit his system and style. But Illinois isn't that, he'd have to pick a couple high end targets a year and go after them hard and if/when he misses out you've got the Illini fanbase saying "c'mon, why the hell don't all these Chicago Public kids want to go to CHAMPAIGN?" I'm being honest, I really don't think Stevens is a good fit at Illinois.

Also, Purdue doesn't have much of any argument at all over Illinois as a program. Hell, take the names off the resumes and they're just about the same program.