Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle breakers

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Default Ankle breakers

How many dudes have you dropped in your career?

I was never a great ball handler (left handles are weak) and I've lost a few steps through all my knee/ankle injuries over the years but I've still dropped about 6 guys (dropped one of them 3 times in one game lol) up until the start of this season. This year alone I've dropped 3 guys. Feels damn good.

You don't gotta be the quickest or the dude with the best handles to get em to drop.

Default Re: Ankle breakers

I'm not overly quick and my handles aren't too fancy. That said I live mostly off the crossover and spin move. They get me where I need to go.

I made someone fall last week with an in-and-out dribble where I never even switched the ball to my other hand. When the help came I passed it through his legs to his man for a dunk. Was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I'm not overly quick and my handles aren't too fancy. That said I live mostly off the crossover and spin move. They get me where I need to go.

I made someone fall last week with an in-and-out dribble where I never even switched the ball to my other hand. When the help came I passed it through his legs to his man for a dunk. Was nice.
    Good shit, I live off of my jumpshot but when dudes like to play up tight I always get them vulnerable for an ankle break. Definitely gotta improve my handles a bit but I still got good enough handles to hang with the good PGs.

I really wish I never had so many injuries in my career, I use to be so much quicker/athletic.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

One - Myself. (seriously though)

I'm kinda like you, OP. I mainly live off my jumper. My handles aren't exactly PG-caliber (Yet. Gotta keep workin' ) but once in a while I get to trick someone into going the opposite direction. I mainly get people on footwork/fakes though. Gotta love 'em.

I used to just be just a shooter. Then I went a couple months where I forced myself to only drive and dish/finish whether I was playing a game or just shooting around. Really let my handles catch up to the rest of my game.

Being able to go left constantly helped too. I didn't realize how much people shade towards the dominant hand. Now I literally have an easier time getting by my man to the left.

People in pick-up are not that great at shuffling their feet on defense. The trick is to just always attack where they look off-balance. Look at where their feet are pointing and attack the opposite side.
    Last edited by Pushxx; 01-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

NBA Superstar

I don't have an exact number. I could probably count on one hand. Through the years, I've come to the realization that the players most likely to get their ankles broken are those playing very tough defense. My most memorable break was against a guy whose game I really respected. He definitely was a very solid defensive player. Since he was playing such tight defense, I was able to make him fall off of a jab step (with no contact). It was one of those situations where the fellow waddled backward looking to regain his balance before hitting the deck. I even missed the subsequent jumpshot, but I'd be lying if I said it still didn't feel pretty good.

Learning to shoot layups

Ive never dropped anyone to the floor. But i make people stumble all the time.

I dropped plenty in my day most recently a few weeks ago at the rec. This one guy was posting up with tunnel vision so I snuck up on him and swiped the ball from him with an upward motion. the ball popped free and bouced by the freethrow line in-between me and a defender, I grabbed the ball in my right hand (palming it almost) and acted like I was going to go right with a lean then crossed over really quickly.

I never saw what happened, I just heard the reaction. I was already halfway into my layup motion when the guy yells, "I fouled him."

Turns out he got his knees buckled by that little move and not I can tease him everytime I see him out and about the city.

Serious playground baller

I usually get one or two a game. It's funny because when I was younger I was a spot up or a set shooter and only played recreational basketball. Now I play with a bunch of guys who are probably more experienced than me and I get by on quickness. My best was probably a time when I got a rebound and headed down court with a defender right on me. He is a pretty aggressive defender and had stolen the ball from be a few times in the past. When we got to the three point line I stood up and went behind my back and he fell and slid to the foul line extended. I think I cause the most stumbles or falls though when I am kind of bouncing around back and forth and then cut. It sounds funny but I usually know how well I will play by the way my feet feel. On good days it feels like I am bouncing instead of stepping

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I usually get one or two a game. I think I cause the most stumbles or falls though when I am kind of bouncing around back and forth and then cut.
    I find it hard to believe you make someone fall once or twice a game LOL

If so that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I find it hard to believe you make someone fall once or twice a game LOL

If so that's cool.
    Stumble, the falls don't come as often. I should add though that I am probably older than most of the guys on here and so are majority of the players I play with. Guys in their 30's that only play a few times a week seem to drop quicker than the high school players we play with lol.

NBA Superstar

Stumble, the falls don't come as often. I should add though that I am probably older than most of the guys on here and so are majority of the players I play with. Guys in their 30's that only play a few times a week seem to drop quicker than the high school players we play with lol.
    Yeah, I didn't want to be the guy who calls out the guy who says something, but your declaration definitely raised an eyebrow over here too. I think stumbling is a lot easier to come across. But even amongst 30 year olds, it's not as if they're suddenly subject to falling completely over every time a ballhandler makes a sharpe direction change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, I didn't want to be the guy who calls out the guy who says something, but your declaration definitely raised an eyebrow over here too. I think stumbling is a lot easier to come across. But even amongst 30 year olds, it's not as if they're suddenly subject to falling completely over every time a ballhandler makes a sharpe direction change.

Yeah, I guess ankle breakers is pretty broad. I usually consider it an ankle breaker if it gets a reaction from the other players. I'll be honest though, I love to dribble and probably do so too much and I do get a few turn overs a day but when it works it works.
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 02-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Yeah, I guess ankle breakers is pretty broad. I usually consider it an ankle breaker if it gets a reaction from the other players. I'll be honest though, I love to dribble and probably do so too much and I do get a few turn overs a day but when it works it works.
    I clearly asked how many dudes you dropped.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a "reaction" from your defender every game.

I rule the local playground

it's all about the shoulder and hip movement. The ball is secondary, you just gotta show 'em it. I've made people fall quite often without the ball tryina break free.

On the crossover one of the most underrated moves is the standard between the legs inside out, followed immediately by outside-in, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmUyuvqCth8
    at 6:42.

Just push your front foot up and lean forward a bit on the move, and you can sell it pretty well.