Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Gordon Joins Deng on GB roster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1463949.story

Ben Gordon, who was born in London, has joined Luol Deng on Britain's roster for this summer's European Championship qualifiers. Britain will play six games in late August/early September trying to qualify for 2009 EuroBasket in Poland and an eventual berth as London plays host to the 2012 Olympic Games.

There's no guarantee Gordon will play, but he's now eligible.
    Interesting but very good news for British basketball fans Still no guarantee, but at least he's on the roster, so he must have some interest in playing.
    Last edited by ukballer; 04-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: Gordon Joins Deng on GB roster

Still difficult for GB to grab a spot for the Eurobasket. They could be in the fight though, with Deng and Gordon in the roster. Are Betts and Archibald still there? They could give some help in the paint (specially Betts).

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berraco
    Still difficult for GB to grab a spot for the Eurobasket. They could be in the fight though, with Deng and Gordon in the roster. Are Betts and Archibald still there? They could give some help in the paint (specially Betts).
    yes they do plus mensah bop from benetton.

We can try If anything our main aim is to have a competitive team for London 2012 Olympics and beyond rather than just Eurobasket competitions, but of course they will want to do well in that too.

Yep, we still got Betts and Archibald. Shame we don't have Azubuike, but we still got Pops Mensah Bonsu. Also some people have been raving about this young point guard called Justin Robinson. I haven't heard of him myself, but apparently he is wise beyond his years.

Potential starting 5:
    Richard Midgley/Justin Robinson
    Ben Gordon
    Luol Deng
    Robert Archibald/Pops Mensah Bonsu
    Andy Betts

Joel Freeland is in the team as well. Damn, it's really not too bad. Obviously we are still gonna get stomped by most, but we are on the right road.

Serious playground baller Hstone's Avatar

How come Joel Freeland doesnt start?

Quote Originally Posted by Hstone
    Well maybe he will, I don't know, just saying we got plenty of forward options now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstone
    As of today, I would take Pops over Freeland.

As of today, I would take Pops over Freeland.
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    We can try If anything our main aim is to have a competitive team for London 2012 Olympics and beyond rather than just Eurobasket competitions, but of course they will want to do well in that too.

Yep, we still got Betts and Archibald. Shame we don't have Azubuike, but we still got Pops Mensah Bonsu. Also some people have been raving about this young point guard called Justin Robinson. I haven't heard of him myself, but apparently he is wise beyond his years.

Potential starting 5:
    Richard Midgley/Justin Robinson
    Ben Gordon
    Luol Deng
    Robert Archibald/Pops Mensah Bonsu
    Andy Betts

Joel Freeland is in the team as well. Damn, it's really not too bad. Obviously we are still gonna get stomped by most, but we are on the right road.
    are you dishing the eurobasket?? Its much harder to win than the olympics!

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    Not this year most of the good teams are either preparing for the olympics or the olympic qualifying tournament

I'm just stating the intentions of the Great Britain basketball association. Their agenda is to perform well on the GLOBAL stage, meaning the Olympics. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what they said! Nobody is dissing Eurobasket. You read too much into posts, calm down. You can clearly see I said of course they want to do well in Eurobasket too. I know you clearly have a soft spot for Eurobasket, but the Olympics comes round once every 4 years, its the biggest sporting competition bar none. Your can clearly see I'm not dissing Eurobasket, c'mon man, step up. Your better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    I'm just stating the intentions of the Great Britain basketball association. Their agenda is to perform well on the GLOBAL stage, meaning the Olympics. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what they said! Nobody is dissing Eurobasket. You read too much into posts, calm down. You can clearly see I said of course they want to do well in Eurobasket too. I know you clearly have a soft spot for Eurobasket, but the Olympics comes round once every 4 years, its the biggest sporting competition bar none. Your can clearly see I'm not dissing Eurobasket, c'mon man, step up. Your better than that.
    Typical british arrogance and I am british.
    They have never done a thing in basketball and now they want to be the best!its the same in football england fail to qualify to europeans yet they think they are the favourites to win the next world cup!!!god we are full of **** in this country!And as for tennis i wont even go there!

Typical british arrogance and I am british.
    They have never done a thing in basketball and now they want to be the best!its the same in football england fail to qualify to europeans yet they think they are the favourites to win the next world cup!!!god we are full of **** in this country!And as for tennis i wont even go there!
    Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Your waaay off topic now. Every single team in the world wants to be the best at basketball. Where did I say we want to be the best? Sorry but it really irritates me when people make assumptions like you are! You are completely misunderstanding everything. Of course we aren't the best, and never will be. But we can give it a damn good go! That's what we call british spirit.

Good grief...

If you read my post PROPERLY next time, you will see I said the agenda for the British basketball programme is to 'perform well'. Nobody except YOU said about winning, which we will never do. Talk about irony..

As far as i can tell the aim is to do half decently in 2012. but yes i can see gordon playing well in a fiba set up.
    im looking forward to team GB playing thier qualifiers in the summer. I'm hoping Pops's good play in Italy, thus learning fiba rules, will enable him to contribute well.
    Also arent there a few college players that are legible to play for the team...well according to the times there is

I rule the local playground daballa13's Avatar

When I first heard that Gordon was born in Englang I though it was BS, but Britian still won't do crap in Eurobasket.