Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

[QUOTE=rhythmic

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I felt that way initially, but I think it's more likely he gets the David Robinson treatment. Pierce is by no means in even second-year Duncan's class, but they're both exceptional defensive bigs (who were also great rebounders) who relied a lot on a jump-shooting/finesse face up game. It's possible history will be kinder to Garnett but I think most people will remember Dirk as being better (for the record I'd take KG, but the same thing happened with Barkley/Malone and Robinson, and they didn't win championships).
    Dirk's legend is only going to skyrocket. That 2011 playoffs basically got him a get of jail free for his career. How many times does anyone bring up the 06 Finals or 07 playoff losses? You're going to only hear good things about him as the years go by.

As for KG/D-Rob, the thing is, I don't think D-Rob's career ever totally got over losing to Hakeem in the fashion he did. Its not fair at all, but that seems to be the case with him. He also has kind of a rep of being soft. With KG, the whole defense/intensity is going to carry him a long way. People will start talking about how he was the ultimate leader, best defender since Russell, etc. Im obviously not a KG fan at all. I don't even try to hide it. Does that mean he isn't a top 3-4 PF? Of course not. But I cringe at the thought of KG>>>>Duncan threads. I really, really do.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Dirk's legend is only going to skyrocket. That 2011 playoffs basically got him a get of jail free for his career. How many times does anyone bring up the 06 Finals or 07 playoff losses? You're going to only hear good things about him as the years go by.

As for KG/D-Rob, the thing is, I don't think D-Rob's career ever totally got over losing to Hakeem in the fashion he did. Its not fair at all, but that seems to be the case with him. He also has kind of a rep of being soft. With KG, the whole defense/intensity is going to carry him a long way. People will start talking about how he was the ultimate leader, best defender since Russell, etc. Im obviously not a KG fan at all. I don't even try to hide it. Does that mean he isn't a top 3-4 PF? Of course not. But I cringe at the thought of KG>>>>Duncan threads. I really, really do.
    Dirk is a good playoffs performer for most of his career give or take a year or two.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Do you happen to remember the teams that Hakeem and the Rockets were losing to? Do you think Kobe would lose to those same teams before they got him Gasol?
    If I had more time, I'd honestly post each of those 9 1st round loses with my summary and his statistical impact. I do recall in some of those instances he underperformed signficantly.

I don't recall Kobe playing poorly at all, in either 2006 or 2007 against the Suns. His team just stunk. Hakeem actually underperformed in some of those instances.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker

Good points. Do you think he ended Ewing's career as well? Or did the fact that Starks was complete shit in G7 take the blame off of him?

Hakeem was also swept 5 times in the 1st round I believe.
    Heck I remember his pathetic performance in 1989 playoffs.

Very good NBA starter

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Dirk is a good playoffs performer for most of his career give or take a year or two.
    I wasn't arguing otherwise. I have always been a big fan of Dirk's game. But his legend is going to take off. And I have no problem with that. It's the Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway legends that get annoying. I swear some people would take prime Hill over Larry Bird

17.5 ppg .443 FG 11.5 RPG 2.0 APG 2.5 SPG 5.8 BPG 2.8 TO 4.8 FPG
    19.8 ppg .394 FG 10.8 RPG 2.4 APG 1.0 SPG 3.2 BPG 2.6 TO 3.6 FPG

Got swept in 89-90 & lost in 5 I believe in 97'.
    If Kobe put up 17.5 PPG on .443 in a sweep you'd have a field day with him.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Did he play bad for any of those series or was it just a few games here and there in them? Also, I'd like to know who he lost to and the team he had in those sweeps. We can skip the other ones. I'm trying to grasp what you're saying. Hakeem wasn't good enough to lead a shitty team to a playoff victory over a better team?
    He played like horse shit in 1989-90 & 1997-98 bro.
    He had some EPIC moments too though, even in sweeps.

87-88' he lost in 4 games but had one of the greatest performances I've ever seen in a single series.

Still 9 losses, is 9 losses...

Very good NBA starter

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    He was injured that year with a bloodcloth in his knee or something like that. The only reason he made it back was new medical technology. Hakeem was done by 97 I give u that one through.
    He was injured in 89-90?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Good points. Do you think he ended Ewing's career as well? Or did the fact that Starks was complete shit in G7 take the blame off of him?
    Hard to say. 94 was definitely the Knicks best shot. I think Ewing is underrated though. His teams weren't all that. They could defend and rebound, but their offense was ugly and a lot of their players didn't have the best IQs. He tends to get the blame, but im not buying it. While he wasn't as talented as D-Rob, I would still take Ewing over him for his toughness. I mean old, broken down Ewing put the team on his back in game 5 to beat prime Zo in and the Heat in 99 playoffs.