Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default Bulls sign Rondo

I'm excited about this. He's a pass first point guard who will be very good on a team with Butler, Doug McDermott, Mirotic.

Starting lineup next season will likely look like this

C: Lopez
    PF: Mirotic
    SF: Doug McDermott
    SG: Butler
    PG: Rondo

Default Re: Bulls sign Rondo

I like it.

I just have this strange hunch that he will work well with Butler. Same tough mindset that could bring the best out in each other.

A good contract, 2nd year partially guaranteed. Players much worse than Rondo getting MORE money, so how can we complain about this.

Now we need someone like Vucevic to join the team. We need a straight up offensive beast.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

Rondo fits better than rose he is the best passer in the league we need a passer slasher next to a jimmy in games... someone who helps the team in other ways. LIKE the aggressive defense that rondo brings to the team ive been wanting him on this team for years

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
    Rondo fits better than rose he is the best passer in the league we need a passer slasher next to a jimmy in games... someone who helps the team in other ways. LIKE the aggressive defense that rondo brings to the team ive been wanting him on this team for years
    By passing, you mean cherry picking for assists, passing up layups, hesitating to shoot, breaking the offense to pad his assist numbers?

Yes, he's way better than Rose at that.

College superstar

Well Chicago FO, since you're apparently determined to sign an established vet (Rondo now, Pau last time) to block our young, developing talent from getting more minutes... don't forget to pick up David Lee and Nene to block Portis and Mirotic

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Well Chicago FO, since you're apparently determined to sign an established vet (Rondo now, Pau last time) to block our young, developing talent from getting more minutes... don't forget to pick up David Lee and Nene to block Portis and Mirotic
    You know.. or Wade.

I really don't get what they're trying to do. As I said in another thread, are their positions in the FO in jeopardy and these are desperation moves?

Ok, need to put a positive spin on this, since our fanbase is weighed down with negativity.

-Our additions are all 2 years or less.

-We get to compete rather than watch the mindless tanking phase.

-Our management managed to raise our flexibility exponentially from what it was.

-We have great contracts like Butler and Lopez, we have pieces that can attract other stars to the bulls in a year or two, which we CERTAINLY didn't have when the old crowd was here.

-We offloaded the old people's home. Dunleavy and Gasol would only stunt the growth of our young players.

Now, none of this suggests that we will have a smooth transition or that we are bound for success. But we have been given an opportunity to see what we've got and either use our flexibility if the new additions don't work out OR...

The additions fit in seamlessly, rondo embraces the Bulls and we attract some big free agents like Griffin to this team.

Now let's stop the bashing and negativity, we are actually in a much better situation than we were before, even contract wise.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Ok, need to put a positive spin on this, since our fanbase is weighed down with negativity.

-Our additions are all 2 years or less.

-We get to compete rather than watch the mindless tanking phase.

-Our management managed to raise our flexibility exponentially from what it was.

-We have great contracts like Butler and Lopez, we have pieces that can attract other stars to the bulls in a year or two, which we CERTAINLY didn't have when the old crowd was here.

-We offloaded the old people's home. Dunleavy and Gasol would only stunt the growth of our young players.

Now, none of this suggests that we will have a smooth transition or that we are bound for success. But we have been given an opportunity to see what we've got and either use our flexibility if the new additions don't work out OR...

The additions fit in seamlessly, rondo embraces the Bulls and we attract some big free agents like Griffin to this team.

Now let's stop the bashing and negativity, we are actually in a much better situation than we were before, even contract wise.
    1) I want to make the playoffs only if our young guys take us there. Making the playoffs at the expense of minutes for our young guys is not worth it, IMO.

2) In what way has the flexibility increased? I understand that Rondo's and Wade's contracts are only two years, and may (we don't know) include some "outs". But how is that more flexible than not signing them? Just literally keep the team as it was after the trade, with the exception of (hopefully) waiving Calderon? Or just not playing him.

3) I don't think many of us are being negative, but realistic. Rondo and Wade are not in the long terms, but they are blocking players that should/could be.

I'd rather see what Jerian Grant can do. And McDermott. And Snell, but to a lesser degree because he had an opportunity last year. And I'd like to see Mirotic and Portis be given more offensive touches and opportunity.

What I don't want to see is a 30 yo Rondo, and a 34 yo Wade, both of whom are better than all the players I just mentioned.. but both of whom are who they are at this point. There's no potential there. We know exactly what we're getting.

And we know that it's not enough to win a title, it's not enough to give us an exciting year, it's not enough to build a future. The future could be those guys I just mentioned. The future could be Grant - Jimmy - Doug - Mirotic - Lopez (traditional) or Portis (small-ball).

But you know what? I could be wrong. Maybe none of those players are the future. But we don't KNOW that. We do, however, KNOW that Wade and Rondo won't be it. So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    1) I want to make the playoffs only if our young guys take us there. Making the playoffs at the expense of minutes for our young guys is not worth it, IMO.

2) In what way has the flexibility increased? I understand that Rondo's and Wade's contracts are only two years, and may (we don't know) include some "outs". But how is that more flexible than not signing them? Just literally keep the team as it was after the trade, with the exception of (hopefully) waiving Calderon? Or just not playing him.

3) I don't think many of us are being negative, but realistic. Rondo and Wade are not in the long terms, but they are blocking players that should/could be.

I'd rather see what Jerian Grant can do. And McDermott. And Snell, but to a lesser degree because he had an opportunity last year. And I'd like to see Mirotic and Portis be given more offensive touches and opportunity.

What I don't want to see is a 30 yo Rondo, and a 34 yo Wade, both of whom are better than all the players I just mentioned.. but both of whom are who they are at this point. There's no potential there. We know exactly what we're getting.

And we know that it's not enough to win a title, it's not enough to give us an exciting year, it's not enough to build a future. The future could be those guys I just mentioned. The future could be Grant - Jimmy - Doug - Mirotic - Lopez (traditional) or Portis (small-ball).

But you know what? I could be wrong. Maybe none of those players are the future. But we don't KNOW that. We do, however, KNOW that Wade and Rondo won't be it. So why bother?

They are very moveable pieces and means we can attract big free agents if we decide to keep them.

I'm intrigued at the possibilities of 3 fierce competitors playing together in the backcourt. I think there is potential for this team, I want to see a few games first to see exactly what we got.

It's a 2 year experiment. The off ball sets and offense should be a lot more free flowing than we've had before.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

These moves to make us "younger, and more athletic," have done nothing but potentially made us the new Atlanta Hawks for the next two years. We'll be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to get out of the second round, if that.

Sorry, if we aren't all onboard with this move. Wade would've been great SIX years ago, but not today. He'll be good, and Rondo will cherry pick his assists, and look like he is "better" than Rose statistically, but that'll only fool the people who don't pay attention.

I'm not a fan of "competing" for the sake of competing. I want to win, and this doesn't make us any more of a winning team than if we kept Rose, and it doesn't make us any more of a winner in the future. It's just delaying the inevitable.

some of you bulls fans trying to make this a positive thing, its the worst thing that could happen to the bulls. instead of rebuilding for the next 2 years through the draft and smart trades, we elect to build a team that will make the playoffs and lose the second round at best. Its almost like a last resort before the bulls window officially closes. the bulls literally have nothing now after 2 years. they have butler who isnt going to play any better than last year and his salary is only increasing, and you have lopez who is only getting worst and will only have 1 year after those 2 years of wade and rondo is up.

please understand. this is the front office that fired one of the best coaches in the league, traded a former mvp, and traded an all defensive center in joakim. while giving the most overrated role player in the league a max contract, and signing 2 of the most unimpactful washed up allstars in the league today, one of them being redundantly the same position as the "real leader of the bulls" in bluter. the bulls are in a very bad spot as of now and there is no optimism to be had outside of the entertainment value of watching this Frankenstein built team. not to mention bulls fans have to root for rondo? HAHAHAH terrible.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 08-04-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    some of you bulls fans trying to make this a positive thing, its the worst thing that could happen to the bulls. instead of rebuilding for the next 2 years through the draft and smart trades, we elect to build a team that will make the playoffs and lose the second round at best. Its almost like a last resort before the bulls window officially closes. the bulls literally have nothing now after 2 years. they have butler who isnt going to play any better than last year and his salary is only increasing, and you have lopez who is only getting worst and will only have 1 year after those 2 years of wade and rondo is up.

please understand. this is the front office that fired one of the best coaches in the league, traded a former mvp, and traded an all defensive center in joakim. while giving the most overrated role player in the league a max contract, and signing 2 of the most unimpactful washed up allstars in the league today, one of them being redundantly the same position as the "real leader of the bulls" in bluter. the bulls are in a very bad spot as of now and there is no optimism to be had outside of the entertainment value of watching this Frankenstein built team. not to mention bulls fans have to root for rondo? HAHAHAH terrible.
    I understand that letting go of Thibs is probably the biggest blunder since the departure of Phil but NOTHING LEFT after 2 years?
    I think a lot will depend on the ability of Hoiberg to develop players.
    Rondo is only 30 yrs old, was the top assist guy in the league at nearly 12 assists/game in a badly deflated team in Sac Town. If Fred maximize Rondo's ability setting guys up, I think McBuckets, Mirotic, Butler, Canaan (career ave 36% 3pt=good imo) would greatly benefit from this.
    I think Portis will finally blossom.
    Lopez is not spectacular but the guy is incredibly smart, sets huge picks, patrol the middle, good S&roll defender and doesn't make a ton of dumb mistakes.
    Valentine is not very young and has benefitted from the guidance of Izzo the past few years, he will be there.
    So I disagree, they have 2-3 good players who can really develop and in 2 years they have about 50 mil in cap room.