Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Default Who would you rather build your team around - David Robinson or Kobe Bryant?

Kobe is considered as a top 5~10 player of all time among ISH posters while David Robinson hardly gets a consideration for even top 20, so I presume that Kobe will win this comparison in a landslide. I personally think it is crazy and I would pick the Admiral over Kobe as the cornerstone but I may be in a minority. What do you guys all think?

Troll who tries to provoke you

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - David Robinson or Kobe Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Kobe is considered as a top 5~10 player of all time among ISH posters while David Robinson hardly gets a consideration for even top 20, so I presume that Kobe will win this comparison in a landslide. I personally think it is crazy and I would pick the Admiral over Kobe as the cornerstone but I may be in a minority. What do you guys all think?
    @ 7'1" height & a long wingspan, THE ADMIRAL has a quickness of a guard, a strength of a center & agility of a SG/SF.

On efficiency alone, in today's NBA. D'rob can deliver 3 season MVPs + 3 DOMINANT FMVPs & 3 DPOY titles at the very least.

D'Rob is a SUPERIOR version of Dwight Howard.

Why would you build a team around 6' 6" INEFFICIENT guard who shoots from long-range when D'Rob is available as a FIRST PICK in draft!

Banned

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - David Robinson or Kobe Bryant?

They're both players who won mostly from getting a help. Robinson had Duncan and Kobe had Shaq and Pau. If I had to pick though, I'd probably go with Kobe.

NBA lottery pick

Kobe Bryant.

DRob needed Tim Duncan in order to win a couple rings. Not to mention, he never really had that killer instinct that Kobe has.

However, that's with hindsight. If I was a GM, and it's between Kobe or DRob, ofcourse I'm taking DRob. You just don't pass on a center like DRob in a draft.

Either way, Kobe has had the better career. Also, with Kobe you get a lot of longevity and sale more tickets.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    @ 7'1" height & a long wingspan, THE ADMIRAL has a quickness of a guard, a strength of a center & agility of a SG/SF.

On efficiency alone, in today's NBA. D'rob can deliver 3 season MVPs + 3 DOMINANT FMVPs & 3 DPOY titles at the very least.

D'Rob is a SUPERIOR version of Dwight Howard.

Why would you build a team around 6' 6" INEFFICIENT guard who shoots from long-range when D'Rob is available as a FIRST PICK in draft!
    Nice post. Repped. Howard is better than you think though.

I would always build my team around a C, with MJ the expection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmer
    I would always build my team around a C, with MJ the expection.
    If Hakeem is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Kareem is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If D'rob is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Ewing is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

If Shaq is in Draft, I'll pick him over MJ.

B'Ball is built for Center to DOMINATE. Perimeter talent is unproven at Pro level. Cant risk it.

This is a tough one....Obviously I have Kobe ranked higher but like I said in a post the other day I value the Center and Point guard postion more than the rest. Considering how crappy the centers are today, I'd pick Robinson because I get a HOF Center who would tear todays crop a new asshole. Hopefully Hakeem isn't playing on another team though O_O

Not meaning to disrespect Kobe, cant go wrong with either of them....Just depends on what type of team you want to build

If I'm building to win, I'd go with DRob only because in today's generation of the NBA, there wouldn't be a threat for him in the post. He'd probably average 25-30 ppg in the post alone.

If I'm building to draw large crowds and sell merchandise, Kobe wins by a landslide.

Now I don't want anyone to assume I'm calling DRob a better winner than Kobe because 5 rings don't lie, but this is also an assumption that we're starting this hypothetical franchise from today onward, which means Kobe would be just another 6'6" shooting guard in the league, albeit one who would make his defense look foolish practically night in, night out.
    All while Robinson would be a 7'0" center with the best footwork in the modern era.

Local High School Star

In this era? Robinson. He'd absolutely murder the bigs in the league right now, and he's still fast and agile enough to play in a small ball league. Plus the dude is just a super quality person.

Today? DRob without thinking twice. I'd load up on as many spot up shooters, defenders and overall wing talent as I could.

Very good NBA starter

Does that include teaming The Admiral up with Shaq, Gasol, Howard, Nash, etc?

If you look at the Spurs rosters in the 90's, they weren't all that.

In todays league Robinson would be the best player not named Lebron easily.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

If I knew about both their mental makeup beforehand? How could it not be kobe? He'll always go hard at the very least and be a 30/5+/5+ player in his prime.. 10x the heart=more winning. Robinsons soft.. He'll back down.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    If I knew about both their mental makeup beforehand? How could it not be kobe? He'll always go hard at the very least and be a 30/5+/5+ player in his prime.. 10x the heart=more winning. Robinsons soft.. He'll back down.
    1992 NBA DPOY says Hi (over Hakeem)

1995 NBA MVP says Hi (over Shaq)

1995 Scoring Champ says Hi (over Shaq)

"soft" my foot! D'Rob is as cold as they come. Unlucky, He did not play in '00 decade of '10 decade.

Freaking Nowitzki still is an NBA Champ in today's era even after loosing 2006 finals as ULTIMATE SOFTY.

You think THE ADMIRAL will back down. He is a FAAKING 1992 NBA BLOCK SHOTS LEADER!

don't get PUNKED by D'Rob's ear to ear smile. He's not a MR NICE GUY in PAINTED AREA.

Decent college freshman

Robinson carried scrubs and inept coaches to 50+ wins seasons. Kobe, when he was surrounded by scrubs, missed the playoffs entirely in '05, and barely squeeked by as a lowly 7th/8th seed in '06 and '07.