Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Grizzlies are legit contenders in the west

Grizzlies are a great team. I wish em the best.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

The Grizzlies are respectable. They are good. But they are 4 at most in the West. I would love the see them murder the Heat in the playoffs, but highly doubt that would happen. The Clippers are better than the Grizzlies. Not saying this to upset people, but it's just what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Your 3 point shooting is being carried by your two new bench additions. It's not something that can be counted on long term over the course of a season. Your bread and butter still needs to be destroying teams in the paint but I agree at least now teams can't pack the paint as much.
    You are misinformed. Quincy Pondexter and Mike Conley were our best 3 pt shooters last year. Now we didnt attempt many 3s last year, but when these 2 did they shot rather well.

Ellington and Bayless can both hit the 3. that is why they were brought in here. But Ellington has shown to be very athletic and a good defender. Dont be surprised if Ellington is the starting 2 soon. Tony Allen only played 16 minutes last night. I expect him to be traded at the deadline to get under the cap. His defense is infectious and he has taught this team how to play D. I love the guy and he will be forever be a part of the grizzlies for the above mentioned reasons. He is the father of grit and grind. But He is getting older and this is his last year on his contract. Best to trade him while he still has some value, bc we will not be able to sign him next year

Clippers are SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than last year, more so than I even expected. The biggest issue the Grizzlies have currently with the Clippers is Chris Paul's lack of turnovers and ability to penetrate and kick. Prior to CP3 it was our defense because Memphis goes on huge scoring lulls.

If Grizzlies aren't forcing turnovers and running, the Clippers are winning. You can't use the playoff series as an example because the Clippers were up 3-1 before the CP3 and Blake injuries, before losing two straight including one at home.
    the depth isnt gonna be a major advantage in the playoffs. the rotation will shorten, as always with every team in the playoffs.

defense stopping z-bo and marc was k-mart and reggie's jobs.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    the depth isnt gonna be a major advantage in the playoffs. the rotation will shorten, as always with every team in the playoffs.

Stop giving credit where it isn't due. K-Mart played solid D but did nothing special. Evans no doubt was a beast in that one series who will forever be embraced by Clippers fans and if not for him Zbo wouldn't have done what he did and Clippers may not have won. I can just as easily say if Butler, CP3, Billups and Griffin were healthy Clippers would have won in 6.

People say Evans+Kmart were a huge part of the team based on watching one playoff series but for the entire season neither did much. Evans always rebounded but got scored on nonstop and didn't score for jack. Kmart played good defense but couldn't score or rebound for jack. Basically both were extremely 1 dimensional and 7 games of better play doesn't make them impossible to replace.

LOL, i disagree

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

As much as i fate cf''s homerism, the clippers did win the playoff series. And they did win the first game of the season. Jamal crawford lit us up while our bench came out with stage fright and laid an egg. Im not saying i think the clipps are better than the grizzlies. I think they are very even. But Im not going to try to play the my team is better than yours game, bc as it stands they have beaten us when we played this year

Don't we hear this same shit every year?

Quote Originally Posted by ncrizzle
    Yes, we blew a 27 point home court lead in the playoffs along our way to losing to the clippers in 7 games in the first round. Yes we are only 6 games into the season. But whether people want to admit it or not, the grizzlies should not be a surprise if they make it out of the west.

Do not be ignorant like most the heat fans on here and say it was just luck. The grizz would have still beat the heat even if all the 3s the grizz made were actually 2s. Heat shot 18 more fts , got multiple phantom calls,and still lost. People act like it is not possible that the grizzlies actually owned wade the whole game. Instead they will say that he just played like garbage. But this thread isnt about the game last night.

People said zbo and gay could not play together, and they have proved that is bullsh1t. The grizz core has been together for 4 years now and have real chemistry. They play some of the grittiest, toughest defense in the league. They have a top 3 frontcourt, great floor general, and the best perimeter defender in the league.

The grizzlies never really had a problem with the starting 5. It was the bench that was our main concern. Now let me point out that our bench played like hot garbage on opening night, but now for 5 games straight they have been playing incredible. They play with the same defensive tenacity as the starters and can put up points as well. As much as oj has looked good in dallas, he did not fit into the style that we play. And as the bench has been showing ojs points have not been missed.Picking up Bayless and Ellington both for less $$$ than oj has been great so far. Bayless can actually handle the ball and score, Ellington has bought into the team concept and has learned how to play D. He obviously can shoot as well, Pondexter is an excellent defender and 3 pt shooter, and Mo speights has one of the best jumpers on the team. Once Darrell Arther gets back, we will have the athletic/shot blocking big we are needing. DA also has a jumper and can go to the hole.

Now am i saying the grizzlies are winning it all this year ?? NO!!! Im not even guaranteeing that we make it deep into the playoffs. But the grizzlies are a legit team who everyone should fear and not sleep on.

End rant
    What I'm confused about is you b:tch about CF86 but you post the same type of homer sh:t all the time that he does.

The Grizzlies have been somewhat contenders for 2 years now. The West is tough.

But they have the formula to hurt Miami, same as the Knicks do, Same as the Spurs, and potentially the Bulls/Lakers do. Move the ball, give them something to worry about defending in the paint, Rebound well, take care of the ball, make them shoot jumpers.

The Heat need more size. They are still the favorites, but they lucked out last postseason. The lockout helped with injuries to other teams, lack of a real free agency and training camps for teams with major moves. The competition for a repeat will be much stronger.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Stop giving credit where it isn't due. K-Mart played solid D but did nothing special. Evans no doubt was a beast in that one series who will forever be embraced by Clippers fans and if not for him Zbo wouldn't have done what he did and Clippers may not have won. I can just as easily say if Butler, CP3, Billups and Griffin were healthy Clippers would have won in 6.

People say Evans+Kmart were a huge part of the team based on watching one playoff series but for the entire season neither did much. Evans always rebounded but got scored on nonstop and didn't score for jack. Kmart played good defense but couldn't score or rebound for jack. Basically both were extremely 1 dimensional and 7 games of better play doesn't make them impossible to replace.
    did you even watch the games? once griffin and DJ went out they had their runs, griffin and DJ didn't even play in the 4th quarters. Not only that z-bo was playing on 1 leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    What I'm confused about is you b:tch about CF86 but you post the same type of homer sh:t all the time that he does.
    I made a thread saying they were contenders. I stated some facts. At the end i said i was not claiming they were winning it all. sorry for making a thread after my team destroyed the heat. The difference is that this was a thread strictly talking about basketball. Also, i will not be starting multiple threads like later on today. I bitch about cf86 digging up meaningless quotes from friends of friends of Blake Griffins second born cousins and such. Also he gets extremely mad when his team loses and gets extremely cocky when they are doing good.

I hardly ever post homer shit. I do not where dark blue shades. i support my team and i will praise them when they deserve it as well as point out their flaws. But thanks for stopping by to b1tch
    Last edited by ncrizzle; 11-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Slowly becoming the Atlanta Hawks of the West.

Just a playoffs team fodder.

Grizz are legit contenders, no doubt. Great perimeter defense, great rebounding, and guys who can score from the post, the perimeter, and attacking the basket.

The Grizzlies bench has been referred to as the "Three Point Mafia" since Bayless, Ellington, and Pondexter have all been draining 3s lately, which is something the Grizzlies have never had in this core, especially off the bench. After last nights game I got a little inspired

Because we're in Memphis and Three 6 Mafia you guys.

The improved bench will be what makes this team a real threat. Finally have a good back up PG who can handle the ball without TOs in Bayless, a spot up shooter with sneaky athleticism in Ellington, a hardnose defender and driver that can shoot corner 3s well in Pondexter. Two of those players weren't here last year and Pondexter is just now coming into his offense. Not to mention Speights and Darrell Arthur (who was sorely missed last year with teams like the Clippers), and who knows what Wroten and Selby will turn into.