Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: Everything that is Overrated (Breaking Bad and Marvel Studios)

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Personally, I'm a huge fan of both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Breaking Bad so I disagree with your OP.

I do find all the old superhero movies (Original Batman, Superman) to be some ass. For the Superhero brand, I find DC as a whole to be overrated. Other than Batman and a few other properties, they are awful compared to Marvel IMO.
    Marvel has a ton of average characters and movies.

DC only has had success with two characters, but their films are easily superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Marvel has a ton of average characters and movies.

DC only has had success with two characters, but their films are easily superior.
    only if you're counting animated films..

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill

That was a joke right? We don't need to have this conversation, it's been discussed in the OTC more than enough in the past 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    only if you're counting animated films..
    No, I'm talking films.

TDK
    TDK Rises
    BEGINS
    Watchmen
    V for Vendetta

The only Marvel films that can compete are Iron Man, Blade and to some people (not me) Spider-Man 2, X2 and to youngins ... the uber-dumb Avengers.

DC also paved the way for the comic book movie genre. Even if you don't like the films, much like Marvel characters themselves, they owe everything to these two films:

B89
    S:TM

And they have the superior animated films, like you said.

DC has had it's embarrassments: Superman III, Superman IV, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Superman Returns

Green Lantern (though no worse than Thor or CA: First Avenger)

Marvel has had even more: Howard the Duck, original Captain America, original Punisher, Thomas Jane Punisher, Punisher: War Zone, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider 2, Elektra, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3, HULK, X3 Last Stand, Wolverine Origins, and the redundant and stupid Iron Man 2 (IMO) Captain America: FA

They all suck. They have Iron Man, and Blade. The rest if they don't suck are cookie cutter and AVERAGE at BEST.

Meant to respond to you Money23, just can't find the thread. I'll post my top 10 here:

1/2) Begins
    1/2) TDK
    3) TDKR (had GOAT potential - could have gone down as one of the greatest flicks, and not just in the comic book genre; just too many plot holes)
    4) Iron Man (favorite non batman comic film)
    5) Spiderman 2 (just had the 'spiderman feel'; like you, I wish they casted someone else as Peter though; actually think James franco would have been better lol).
    6) Blade (Amazing intro: one of if not my favorite vampire movie)
    7) Batman '89 (favorite film as a child. now adays? re-watchability factor = dud; too campy and can never finish watching the thing. still a classic obviously).
    8) X-Men: First Class (magnito was a boss)
    9) Avengers (ok story line; special effects were unreal though)
    10) The Amazing Spiderman (not really a favorite of mine, but better than the other mediocre comic films)

OP might be a ******.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Meant to respond to you Money23, just can't find the thread. I'll post my top 10 here:

1/2) Begins
    1/2) TDK
    3) TDKR (had GOAT potential - could have gone down as one of the greatest flicks, and not just in the comic book genre; just too many plot holes)
    Can't believe TDK isn't easily at the top. BEGINS is very good don't get me wrong, TDK is just flat out better top to bottom. Destroys genre cliche and ceiling. I get the fanboy protection of BEGINS who were on the Nolan Batman wagon before or during the release of BEGINS, many hopped on after the release of TDK.

With TDK we're talking about arguably the greatest cinematic showdown between protagonist and antagonist of all-time. And it plays out organically. Not forced or contrived.

You know how you have the microwave emitter in BEGINS? And the neutron bomb in RISES? Or that lame ass portal device in Avengers? That's called a deus ex machina. It's something that pushes the plot and characters forward. A plot device. TDK has an organic plot device that pushes the story and the characters forward. And it happens to be a character as iconic and engaging as the title character.

The whole movie feels natural. I get your issues with RISES. It doesn't have as many plot holes as you think. They're addressed in dialogue. The film however does carry a TON of ground, because it is a ginormous EPIC. It could've been broken down into two films, but it paints with broad strokes. Flawed, but very epic none the less

2nd best comic villain too, IMO. A grounded, more bad ass version of Darth Vader.

Iron Man (favorite non batman comic film)
    Agreed. A re-juvinated Robert Downey Jr, whose own trials and tribulations reflect that of the character. Making the film work on multiple levels. RDJ makes the character more interesting and witty, charismatic than he EVER was in the comics. Much like Wesley Sniped did w/ BLADE ... he re-invents a lame ass character and carried the entire movie on his acting chops.

It's a lazy, cliche, and corny written 3rd act away from being on par with any of the Nolan Bat films not named TDK. It makes nice social commentary on terrorism, America, and arms dealing. Most important, like Nolan's Batman and the first Blade. They take a fantastic character from the page and put him in the REAL functioning world.

Complete immersion. I was rooting for the character and his engrossing character change all through out the film. Stark is the focus of the film, and the building of the marketing product (Avengers) is an extreme back burner. It has a resolution (an innovative one at that) ... so it isn't the typical Marvel Studios drivel.

7) Batman '89 (favorite film as a child. now adays? re-watchability factor = dud; too campy and can never finish watching the thing. still a classic obviously).
    Totally agree, down to the word. The atmosphere is brilliant, as is the set design. Keaton was boss, and proved EVERYONE wrong. Nicholson is fun. But there really isn't much happening in the movie, there is tons of boring pointless scenes, and like you said tongue in cheek / campy.

X-Men: First Class (magnito was a boss)
    I enjoyed parts. But Kevin Bacon? I can't take seriously. Most of the cast beyond the actors who played Magneto and Xavier were soap opera type rejects. Plus, they used second and third string X-Men characters.

Could've been on the verge of greatness, much like the ASM had certain things been tweaked differently.

Avengers (ok story line; special effects were unreal though)
    I can't get over how much this film sucked apart from RDJ and 3rd act Hulk stealing scenes.

The plot is mind numbingly stupid. 3rd act has no sense of urgency, or drama. Makes no sense. Chick from "How I Met Your Mother" makes Katie Holme's Rachel Dawes look like she is Maryl Streep caliber.

I mean, even though TDK Rises uses a dirty nuclear bomb plot ... it feels real. It echoes real life fears post 9/11. And Nolan executes the idea in anxiety / Stanley Kubrick level fashion. I mean I knew Batman and Gotham wasn't going to die going into the film. But while watching it, I felt the intensity. I felt the urgency, I felt Gotham and Batman were threatened at multiple points. Even the fantastical things felt utterly plausible and real.

In the Avengers, we get that stupid portal machine / invasion plot ... which I had already seen last summer with Transformers 3. The CGI aliens looked down right goofy. The alien invasion barely destroys any buildings, and kills no innocent civilians, yet the government wants to launch a nuke and destroy Manhattan?

Uhhh, ok.

At least in RISES we see a city getting tortured, people dying, friggin FBI agents getting hung from bridges. It was disturbing. I can't get over how overrated the Avengers was. How contrived the whole film felt.

I'm with you on Breaking Bad. Season One just went nowhere for me and I never bothered continuing on with it.

The Avengers flicks...I quite like, but I take them for what they are: comic books being made into movies. I don't go all critical on them...its just frickin' cartoon pictures done with real people. Take them in the spirit they're being made in and they're just a good time. People coming out going "OMG PLOT HOLZ" are missing the point entirely, but that's just my view.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    I'm with you on Breaking Bad. Season One just went nowhere for me and I never bothered continuing on with it.
    I have, and it gradually gets more and more ridiculous.

Plot contrivances GALORE. Tons of conveniences, too many to seem plausible. And they get worse as the seasons progress, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Avengers flicks...I quite like, but I take them for what they are: comic books being made into movies. I don't go all critical on them...its just frickin' cartoon pictures done with real people. Take them in the spirit they're being made in and they're just a good time. People coming out going "OMG PLOT HOLZ" are missing the point entirely, but that's just my view.
    I don't think so. That's kind of a nose up at the material. And it's what held it back for so long on screen. They have the capability of being so much more than "cartoon pictures"

That's why they've had such longevity. They've proven to be reflections of real world society. Life imitates art, and art imitates life. These characters and stories should peel back layers to the times. You can take these characters, give great mass marketed entertainment for all ages, while also making intelligent psychological statements and dramas.

Avengers literally makes it a cartoon made to make fun of ... or have cheap fun. However you see it, I guess.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

I enjoyed the first 2 x-men movies. patrick stewart, ian mckellen, and hugh jackman all played their respective roles well. lets face it patrick stewart was born to play xavier.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    lets face it patrick stewart was born to play xavier.
    Agreed.

Like Snipes for Blade, Downer Jr for Stark, Reeves for Superman, Bale for Batman, Hemsworth for Thor

I thought Topher Grace would've been perfect for Spider-Man

But also, list something else you consider to be massively overrated. Another one for me is all Marvel Studio movies not the original Iron Man, and especially the Avengers.
    False, they're not overrated, though I can't really understand what you're trying to say.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    False, they're not overrated, though I can't really understand what you're trying to say.
    Iron Man isn't, the rest of them suck.

Sex is overrated.

No, I'm talking films.

TDK
    TDK Rises
    BEGINS
    Watchmen
    V for Vendetta

The only Marvel films that can compete are Iron Man, Blade and to some people (not me) Spider-Man 2, X2 and to youngins ... the uber-dumb Avengers.

DC also paved the way for the comic book movie genre. Even if you don't like the films, much like Marvel characters themselves, they owe everything to these two films:

B89
    S:TM

And they have the superior animated films, like you said.

DC has had it's embarrassments: Superman III, Superman IV, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Superman Returns

Green Lantern (though no worse than Thor or CA: First Avenger)

Marvel has had even more: Howard the Duck, original Captain America, original Punisher, Thomas Jane Punisher, Punisher: War Zone, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider 2, Elektra, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3, HULK, X3 Last Stand, Wolverine Origins, and the redundant and stupid Iron Man 2 (IMO) Captain America: FA

They all suck. They have Iron Man, and Blade. The rest if they don't suck are cookie cutter and AVERAGE at BEST.
    Iron Man 2 was good, Thor was rushed but still a good movie, and the Cap movie had plenty of heart. Superhero movies can still be good if they're not all dark and serious like the Batman movies. Marvel made their movies fun, but a bunch of them have been disappointing (Spiderman 3, the Fantastic Four movies, Ghost Rider films, Daredevil and such).

I was watching the original Superman the other day and that movie is cheesy as f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck. How can you praise that but then shit on well done movies that are nowhere near as cheesy as that movie? You must be a DC fanboy or something.

I'd really like to see a well-done Hulk movie. Bruce Banner is such a great character and has the potential for a great movie.