Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESL Teaching

NBA Legend

Default Re: ESL Teaching

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    I know a few people who have taught without degrees here in China. But the Visa process over here is getting super strict so I don't know if its still possible. I would think Vietnam, Thailand or Burma would be better options if you don't have a degree. Heck, I know some places in Thailand where you can just buy a degree lol. They look official and everything

Hook me up bro.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Hook me up bro.
    Khao San Road, Bangkok.

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features...ments-industry

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    I know a few people who have taught without degrees here in China. But the Visa process over here is getting super strict so I don't know if its still possible. I would think Vietnam, Thailand or Burma would be better options if you don't have a degree. Heck, I know some places in Thailand where you can just buy a degree lol. They look official and everything
    Awesome. I wouldn't mind Thailand..I have a penpal from there..she would look after me.

I was looking into those certs like TEFL, are they required? What do those courses consist of? Did you do it online or in a class?

Jameer..I played in 1 year in the Philippines and another in Germany. The past is the past. Tried out with Rockets and another team.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Awesome. I wouldn't mind Thailand..I have a penpal from there..she would look after me.
    OLD SCHOOL!

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge

I was looking into those certs like TEFL, are they required? What do those courses consist of? Did you do it online or in a class?

Jameer..I played in 1 year in the Philippines and another in Germany. The past is the past. Tried out with Rockets and another team.
    TEFLs look nice but they aren't required for the vast majority of job opportunities. If you don't have a degree, I'd probably get one of those though just to have something.

I just google searched 1 online and did it. Cost me about 200-300 US for a 100 hour course. Think the website was ontesol.com or something. I learned some things and it was useful I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax
    So you work for a university? Howd you get the job exactly?
    I have a chinese friend whos dad actually works in immigration/work placement so I wondered how much working for a public school would make me...
    Haha, na, I work in a kindergarten. Universities pay terribly. You'd think the opposite but in my experience, they pay the worst out of all other types of schools. Weird huh?

I just went online and applied to some jobs. Got some offers, accepted and flew over. I had a buddy already in Shenzhen so if my job sucked I had a friend I could hang with till I found something better.

On average, you'll make around 2k/month with no taxes, possibly free housing and a meal or two free a day.

Public schools > Training schools. Definitely try for a public school. Better hours, benefits and holidays.