Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    National High School Star

Default Re: Anyone get bored shooting around alone?

I'd love to be able to just practice shooting. It's the dribbling and rebounding etc that make it boring for me.

If I had someone rebounding for me, or at least one of those net things I could shoot all day.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Took 50 3s today, made 34. Took about 40 mid range, made about 24. Did about 10-12 layups, made about 8. Did 10 post up midrange fadeaway. Made 5 of them.

Getting my stroke back

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Took 50 3s today, made 34. Took about 40 mid range, made about 24. Did about 10-12 layups, made about 8. Did 10 post up midrange fadeaway. Made 5 of them.

Getting my stroke back
    I sense some solid lying here.

Who makes 34/50 three pointers and makes "about" 8 of 10 layups. If you shoot threes with that level of skill you aren't missing two layups.

If you can show me a tagged video of you making 17 out of 25 tres i'll paypal you $5 bucks.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz

Who makes 34/50 three pointers and makes "about" 8 of 10 layups. If you shoot threes with that level of skill you aren't missing two layups.

If you can show me a tagged video of you making 17 out of 25 tres i'll paypal you $5 bucks.

I don't know man I see lots of younger guys that shoot like this. I've also noticed a lot of good three point shooters miss free throws.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

My handles are very horrid. I'm known at my gym as a pass/shooter on offense. I don't dribble more than 5 times. Layups are actually my weakest part of my game.

This doesn't happen everyday though. Usually I hit my 3 point at a 50% clip while shooting around. Yesterday I just shot way better than I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    My handles are very horrid. I'm known at my gym as a pass/shooter on offense. I don't dribble more than 5 times. Layups are actually my weakest part of my game.

This doesn't happen everyday though. Usually I hit my 3 point at a 50% clip while shooting around. Yesterday I just shot way better than I usually do.

I'm just messin' It is nice when you have a good day at the gym.

I tried playing that BIRD game yesterday and got cocky and lost. I played it like Bird gets 2 points for every miss and I get 1 point for every make and we play to 21.

I was up 20 to 14 and got cocky and started taking like high speed "game" shots like behind the ball go to my left and pullup, and missed 4 in a row and lost 22-21 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I'd kill to be able to work on my shooting all by myself but the opportunity rarely comes up.
    My childhood dream was to have an indoor half court. I'd be shooting every day. It's windy as **** over here, can't ball outside.

Edit:

lol 5 bucks. I can miss lay ups if I'm going full court.

When I was a kid I was finishing everything. It's actually kind of hard to do a lay up if you run as fast as you can and don't slow down. Esp if you're doing any sort of moves before hand. Old man lay ups are like walking to the rim and flicking it off the backboard, but maybe he meant doing actual lay ups, like driving hard and trying to finish.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 02-26-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Hell no when I was a pre teen I loved practicing by myself so I could get better and compete on my teams. I loved watching year by year how great I was getting. By the time I was practicing by myself in my late teens it was still fun to have my headphones on and just jack deep 3s and showing off my athleticism. If you hate practicing you probably suck at shooting... my advice practice FT shooting to improve your jumpshot its the groundwork for a great shot. Like running track is the groundwork for playing competitive basketball

Sometimes. That's why you next to text your friends, and let him rebound the ball for you.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

It's fun to play with others of course. But I also enjoy shooting by myself. I can spend hours doing that. Practicing free throws, jumpers from everywhere, driving to the basket and post moves. I like shooting by myself for a good 20 minutes before I start to play with others.

Practicing alone and putting in the time is how you get better. All of the all time greats spent countless hours in the gym alone, just working on their game. Without it, they would not be great. I used to have little skills when I was in my teens, just relying on athleticism. Now that I'm 38 and having worked on my game for 20+ years, my skills have never been better and it continues to improve. The goal is to always try to get better and master as much of the game as possible. Playing basketball is one of the pure joys of my life and I love working on my game alone. I like getting into that zone where it's just me and the game and nothing else. That's when I feel a oneness with the game. Sort of like a Zen experience.

Well, if someone spends so much time chucking 3's that means he's not practicing layups as often so his layup making ability is shit. And I can relate. I have a deadly jumper and will make about 75% of my shots out to NBA 3(shooting around, not actual games) but my layups are shit because I simply don't practice them. I'm 28 though so I have no need to improve my game.