Page 56 of 153 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966106 ... LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Illinois Fan Thread.

Come on guys! Congrats to football team. And good luck in Rose Bowl! But it's time to start talking hoop!!

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kev
    Come on guys! Congrats to football team. And good luck in Rose Bowl! But it's time to start talking hoop!!
    If you want to talk about hoops, then talk about hoops. If we want to talk about football, we're gonna talk about football.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Wow, we need to learn how to close games. Turned it over about 15 times in the second half.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Ughhhhhh, FT Shooting. It's what might keep us from dancing in March.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

We don't keep our composure well late in games. Once Trent missed that 2nd free throw that could've brought us to being up 3 I knew we lost the game. Shuan was barely getting the ball at all and guys like Chester, Trent were playing outside of their best capabilities.. It was just a train wreck. I think we resemble the VA Tech from last season in terms of erractic play and just having great runs followed by droughts. I can't say it enough, but everything I said about Calvin Brock was wrong. He's turning into a nice player for us.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    We don't keep our composure well late in games. Once Trent missed that 2nd free throw that could've brought us to being up 3 I knew we lost the game. Shuan was barely getting the ball at all and guys like Chester, Trent were playing outside of their best capabilities.. It was just a train wreck. I think we resemble the VA Tech from last season in terms of erractic play and just having great runs followed by droughts. I can't say it enough, but everything I said about Calvin Brock was wrong. He's turning into a nice player for us.
    I just knew we were going to lose with about 5 minutes left. Happened to us so many times last year. We build a solid lead and just let the game slip. It's so frustrating when you're watching the game and you just know Illinois is about to blow it. I felt like Frazier was going to turn the ball over every time he touched it..

There are some rumors that Alex Legion (Kentucky transfer) might be going to Illinois. Of course, there are also rumors that he's heading to Notre Dame. How good is Legion? I've never seen him play, all I know is that he was a highly rated player coming out of high school. Anyone have any info on the matter?

Legion's a big-time offensive player who I could absolutely envision being the type of guy who contend for the Big Ten scoring title by the time he's a junior. Definitely an NBA-caliber talent who has a lot of the same skillset as Gordon, though obviously nowhere near as advanced right out of high school (but who is?). He could definitely join the Kendall Gill/Luther Head pantheon of Illinois shooting guards.

I have reservations about adding him because he apparently thought Gillespie's workouts were too tough. Well, Weber's won't be easier, kid. That, and his indecisiveness about his college choice- committed to Michigan, decommitted, signed with them, got out of his LOI when Amaker was fired, signs with Kentucky, then transfers a few games in- has to make you wary. Plus, with Jamar returning next year and Bertrand/Richardson/Paul coming in the year after, it wasn't an area of tremendous need.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding? We need all the talent we can get and he can score like crazy.

He was quoted in the News-Gazette as saying, "I really like Illinois right now." Legion's visiting Champaign Sunday through Tuesday and isn't sure if/when he'll be visiting Notre Dame. All indications are that he's headed to Illinois right now, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Kinda sucks he'll be here for crappy weather, but hey, he's from Detroit so I'm sure it doesn't mean anything to him.

Speaking of said weather, it doesn't look like it's gonna be bad enough to keep me from going to Assembly Hall today for the high school games. So I'll be back with a report on Joseph Bertrand, D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul and Jereme Richmond.

Hmm...I guess I'm meeting some friends for lunch so I may not make it to see Bertrand and Richardson. Hopefully I'll catch part of that game. I'll see Jereme Richmond, Brandon Paul, Verdell Jones and that loaded Whitney Young squad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Hmm...I guess I'm meeting some friends for lunch so I may not make it to see Bertrand and Richardson. Hopefully I'll catch part of that game. I'll see Jereme Richmond, Brandon Paul, Verdell Jones and that loaded Whitney Young squad, though.
    Noooo.

Just kidding..have a good time at the games catching a glimpse of Illinois' future.

Well, if I'd known any better I'd have checked out the second and third games instead of the fourth, fifth and sixth games.

Crandall Head, it sounds like, was the best player of the day. He scored 34 in a 62-60 loss to my Champaign Centennial Chargers. James Kinney, a D-I prospect for 2009, had 19, 7 boards and 5 assists for Centennial. He and Rayvonte Rice (sophomore) could be one of the state's top backcourts next season. Charger basketball is on the upswing, and that makes me happy.

D.J. Richardson had 20 in the Peoria Central/Sterling game, but Joseph Bertrand put up 28. I caught the highlights, and Bertrand was sick. His shot is so improved, his handle is slick, and he's really putting it all together.

Brandon Paul had 19 points and 11 boards but shot 7-of-21. He's an outstanding defender, though, really prides himself on being a stopper. He took New Trier's star, Alex Rossi, completely out of the game. He took a few ill-advised shots but he kinda had to, because there isn't any help for him on Warren. He has more range than I thought, and as much athleticism as I thought. He had a strong two-handed dunk in traffic along the baseline.

Jereme Richmond didn't have an amazing game, but he's as good as advertised. He finished with 19 and 13. They use him in the post too much, but they more or less have to; he looks like a legit 6'7" now. Total f-cking package. Richmond is like Julian Wright, if Julian Wright was a 20 ppg scorer instead of a 12 ppg scorer.

He didn't show much of an outside shot today but I'm pretty sure it's there. I've seen it from him before. He can finish in the post, he has guard handles and is a very good passer, he's an outstanding rebounder, and had a few nasty blocks. He took a rebound coast to coast, through traffiic, and finished with a beautiful finger roll.

The Whitney Young/Champaign Central game was disappointing. Central blew an eight-point lead early in the second half, ended up losing 50-42. I thought this game would be in the 70's or 80's. Whitney Young is as loaded as advertised. Anthony Johnson is a very smooth player, but they have so many guards that he probably only played 16 minutes. Chris Colvin is good, but Rivals is mistaken to have him as the top Illinois player in 2009. Bertrand, Richardson and Paul all appear to be better, but then again they're THE guy on their team and get to do it all. So it's hard to say. Marcus Jordan didn't do much.

Central's a mess. Verdell Jones and Donald Stewart are playing for scholarship offers instead of to win games and it's killing that entire team. Even though they're Centennial's rival, their underachieving pisses me off.

Sounds like Head will make an announcement as to where he's committing in early '08 and he has made it clear for a while now that Illinois is where he wants to play his college ball.

"Another prize recruit is expected to commit to Illinois in early January. "Illinois is my favorite and I am not considering any other schools," said multitalented 6-3 sophomore Crandall Head of Rich South, who had 34 points, six rebounds and three steals in a 62-60 loss to Champaign Centennial. "I haven't made a commitment yet, but I'll make an announcement right after the New Year.
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....hool-headlines

Sounds pretty solid to me.

That's what I like to see and hear.

Highlights of Illinois recruits at the Hall

I can say without exaggeration that Crandall's better as a high school sophomore than Luther was as a high school senior.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 12-18-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Crandall looks incredible!!! Get him on our team!!!!