Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default iPhone 5 reviews

CNet Review

- "The screen size lengthening is subtle: but, like the Retina Display, you're going to have a hard time going back once you've used it."
    - "LTE, in my tests, ran anywhere from 10 to 20 [Mbps], which is up to twice as fast as my wireless router's connection at home."
    - "Still pictures taken while recording video aren't shot using the normal 8-megapixel Web cam; they're screen captures of the video itself. The aspect ratio is different, and the image quality's a bit weaker."
    - "callers I reached via speakerphone noticed a crisper, clearer call on the iPhone 5 versus the iPhone 4S."
    - "The phone's lasted roughly the whole day each day, unplugging around 8 a.m. and engaging in a mix of calling, web surfing, video playback, downloading, game playing, FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi and LTE, and even a little 4G LTE hot spot use via my MacBook Air."

The Loop Review by Jim Dalrymple

- "If you told me that I would be able to see another few rows of emails or more of a Web page, I don’t know that I would see the importance, but when you look at the iPhone 5, it’s more than that. You have to see it to get an idea of what can be done."

The New York Times Review by David Pogue

- "The new phone, in all black or white, is beautiful. Especially the black one, whose gleaming, black-on-black, glass-and-aluminum body carries the design cues of a Stealth bomber."
    - "The camera is among the best ever put into a phone. Its lowlight shots blow away the same efforts from an iPhone 4S."
    - "It’s just too bad about that connector change. Doesn’t Apple worry about losing customer loyalty and sales?"

iPhone 4S vs 5 photo via CNet

Engadget Review by Tim Stevens

- " At 112 grams it's 20 percent lighter than the 4S, a figure that doesn't seem like it would make much of an impact. It does -- so much so that it's the lightness, not the bigger display or the thinness, that nearly everybody praises when first getting a chance to hold the iPhone 5 in their own hands."
    - "the Lightning connector is infinitely easier to connect. It slots in nicely and does so regardless of orientation, plugging in right-side-up or upside-down."
    - "More problematic is the speed of this new connector. " -- Based on USB 2.0, so no faster than existing connector/cable.
    - Taking photo speed is much improved.
    - "On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes."
    - "In general, iOS 6 has seen some nice nips and tucks where it needed it. iCloud integration is tighter, Safari is better and the overall experience is more polished. But, it isn't a major step forward in any regard. "

Wall Street Journal Review by Walt Mossberg

- "I found the new iPhone screen much easier to hold and manipulate than its larger rivals and preferred it. In my view, Apple’s approach makes the phone far more comfortable to use, especially one-handed."
    - "The iPhone 5′s battery lasted between 9 and 12 hours every day, in mixed use. For most people, the phone would last the day without recharging."
    - "The biggest drawback I found is the new Maps app. Apple has replaced Google Maps with a new maps app of its own. "

T3 Review by Luke Peters

- "Don’t get us wrong, it’s a miracle how Apple has shed so much excess podge and millions of people will love the lightweight design, but we preferred the more robust, weapon-like nature of the 4S."
    - "Given that iPhone 4S users can upgrade to iOS 6 and do just about everything the iPhone 5 can do, and that Android users can get similarly impressive handsets for less dosh, we reckon the smart money won’t all be going on a new iPhone this year, even if the mass market can’t get enough of it. It’s good, very good. But it’s no longer the best around."

Pocket Lint Review by Stuart Miles

- "It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error."

TechCrunch Review by MG Siegler

- "One nice side effect of the letterboxing is that the iOS system elements can still use the larger screen. So, for example, when Push Notifications come in, they flip down from the top of the screen and settle perfectly above the 3.5-inch app (as opposed to on top of it)."

and of course http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5

Most people are probably waiting for Anand's review.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/a...hone-5-review/
    Last edited by andgar923; 09-19-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Default Re: iPhone 5 reviews

So the battery still will only last a day, great.

I feel like Apple made a monumental phuckup by changing the connector. I was all but locked in to get 5, but now I need to replace anything associated with my last iphone, I've opened up to the possibility of changing to another brand since everything needs to be replaced anyway.

Adbloock<3

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    So the battery still will only last a day, great.

I feel like Apple made a monumental phuckup by changing the connector. I was all but locked in to get 5, but now I need to replace anything associated with my last iphone, I've opened up to the possibility of changing to another brand since everything needs to be replaced anyway.
    I've read somewhere saying it's because some new law, will have same connector as Samsung and PS3 as will most of new products.

this guy spent 2 hours quoting reviews just to dick ride an apple phone.

[COLOR="Red"]So the battery still will only last a day, great[/COLOR].

That's actually GOOD, not sure how that's bad all things considered.

Battery
    Here was my concern (and, I'm sure, yours): in a phone that's thinner, lighter, and now has 4G LTE, how exactly will that battery hold up? LTE tends to be a power hog, but the iPhone 5 is set to deliver respectable battery life, even if it's not quite the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. Apple promises 8 hours of 3G talk time, 8 hours of 3G browsing, 8 hours of LTE browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hours of video playback, 40 hours of music playback, and 225 hours of standby time with the iPhone 5, which sounds, on paper, about the same as what we got with the iPhone 4S.

We'll perform our formal battery tests in the next few days, but based on my week of using the AT&T Phone 5, results have been very promising.

The phone's lasted roughly the whole day each day, unplugging around 8 a.m. and engaging in a mix of calling, Web surfing, video playback, downloading, game playing, FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi and LTE, and even a little 4G LTE hot spot use via my MacBook Air. I unplugged the phone at about 7:30 a.m. one day, and it lasted until around 11 p.m. Another day, I unplugged at 7:30 a.m. and the phone lasted until nearly midnight. The battery life percentage tended to parallel the battery life of my iPhone 4S most of the day, while using the iPhone 5 a little more.

Would this battery last over a day? I doubt it. However, it seems to be handling a little better than the iPhone 4S, which is already impressive considering the weight reduction and faster LTE network. Stay tuned for our full benchmarking and battery tests.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    this guy spent 2 hours quoting reviews just to dick ride an apple phone.
    Or I spent 10 seconds copying and pasting from one site.

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    I've read somewhere saying it's because some new law, will have same connector as Samsung and PS3 as will most of new products.
    Partially true.

Europe wants the micro USB to be the standard or some shit. That was a part of it, but mostly for the size. The iPhone is thinner so they needed to compress it.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    That's actually GOOD, not sure how that's bad all things considered.
    Cos before I updated the ios on my 3gs my phone lasted way longer, as it is now it barely lasts a day and half the time I have to charge it on the way home from work. The number of times my phone has died when I've been out and about and caused me to miss out on catching up on people is getting out of hand now. I want a phone that lasts longer than that.

Cos before I updated the ios on my[COLOR="Red"] 3gs [/COLOR]my phone lasted way longer, as it is now it barely lasts a day and half the time I have to charge it on the way home from work. The number of times my phone has died when I've been out and about and caused me to miss out on catching up on people is getting out of hand now. I want a phone that lasts longer than that.
    Good luck trying to find a phone that's new and will last you over a day on regular usage.

Might as well go get you an old Blackberry or Nokia, cause chances of a new phone lasting you OVER a day are slim.

Also what are your settings like? do you have everything turned on?

I do agree that it has to do with the OS for the most part. I had issues with my 4S' battery life. Not to long ago I restored it by accident and my battery life almost doubled magically. Same phone, same OS version, same settings and usage

[QUOTE=andgar923]Good luck trying to find a phone that's new and will last you over a day on regular usage.

Might as well go get you an old Blackberry or Nokia, cause chances of a new phone lasting you OVER a day are slim.

Also what are your settings like? do you have everything turned on?

I do agree that it has to do with the OS for the most part. I had issues with my 4S' battery life. Not to long ago I restored it by accident and my battery life almost doubled magically. Same phone, same OS version, same settings and usage

I'd be curious to know how long the S3 lasts for.

Eh, who knows, not going to bother fixing anything on it now, it'll be replaced in the next few weeks. I tell you tho, if I do get a 5 I won't be doing the updates until I read peoples reviews about what it does to the speed and battery life.
    Yeah

andgar is more obessed with the iPhone than I am with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    andgar is more obessed with the iPhone than I am with my wife.
    Well at least you can **** your obsession and we can enjoy the occasional photo, can't say the same thing about iPhone though...

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Well at least you can **** your obsession and we can enjoy the occasional photo, can't say the same thing about iPhone though...
    I think it's funny how offended he gets when you talk down about it. It's like he has to defend the honor or Apple or something.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    andgar is more obessed with the iPhone than he is with jordan
    fixed