Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default The 10 commandments!?? volume wth

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ass, nor anyhting else that belongs to him."

Is this for real? Shouldn't covet slaves? How can anyone think this was the word of god? Seems literally like a list of classroom rules that were pertinent at that point in time. How can this be the guiding principles people still follow nowadays. Sad. Seems like weak people with no inner strength need these false (but still healthy for people/society) guidelines to live by and draw strength from.

Default Re: The 10 commandments!?? volume wth

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

This is the problem with reading some texts as prose versus poetry. You don't have to take everything word for word but you can look at it for the metaphor it gives or the thought it inspires in you. You can also suppose that this was a set of beliefs dedicated to a different time, a different people, a different culture, etc, and while, when taken literally, isn't applicable anymore for a certain day and age, what makes it timeless is the metaphor.

I'm not trying to defend the bible just because I'm Catholic (admittedly, I haven't purposefully opened one in years) but I'm not defending a cruel act of subjection that my people were under for centuries either. It's incredibly shortsighted to see this as something that should be taken only literally.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    This is the problem with reading some texts as prose versus poetry. You don't have to take everything word for word but you can look at it for the metaphor it gives or the thought it inspires in you. You can also suppose that this was a set of beliefs dedicated to a different time, a different people, a different culture, etc, and while, when taken literally, isn't applicable anymore for a certain day and age, what makes it timeless is the metaphor.

I'm not trying to defend the bible just because I'm Catholic (admittedly, I haven't purposefully opened one in years) but I'm not defending a cruel act of subjection that my people were under for centuries either. It's incredibly shortsighted to see this as something that should be taken only literally.
    Completely agree. I see it as a metaphor for a guideline to live life. However, I simply cannot believe that it is the word of god. It sounds more like the word of a knowledgeable, righteous man.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Completely agree. I see it as a metaphor for a guideline to live life. However, I simply cannot believe that it is the word of god. It sounds more like the word of a knowledgeable, righteous man.
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong (since I have confessed to not reading the bible all that much and just going by whatever I remember from church or class) but Old Testament God isn't all that of a merciful fellow.

Lord knows the tribes of Israel at the time were just a step above wild animals. I can see why the God of the Old Testament had to be a hard ass just to keep them from destroying themselves.

I tend to look at the commandments as written by Moses, inspired by his soul-searching/prayer. Those who believe in God could say he acted through Moses. Those non-believers can say he came up with them on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Lord knows the tribes of Israel at the time were just a step above wild animals. I can see why the God of the Old Testament had to be a hard ass just to keep them from destroying themselves.

I tend to look at the commandments as written by Moses, inspired by his soul-searching/prayer. Those who believe in God could say he acted through Moses. Those non-believers can say he came up with them on his own.
    this makes me think of an interesting hypothetical question. Anyone can answer:

Why didn't god try his thing in Egypt first?

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ass, nor anyhting else that belongs to him."

Is this for real? Shouldn't covet slaves? How can anyone think this was the word of god? Seems literally like a list of classroom rules that were pertinent at that point in time. How can this be the guiding principles people still follow nowadays. Sad. Seems like weak people with no inner strength need these false (but still healthy for people/society) guidelines to live by and draw strength from.
    It's servants, not slaves.

10 commandments seem like a set of rules for Moses people, like rufus said they were probably barbarians.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    It's servants, not slaves.
    Finish this sentence: If a 'servant' is owned by someone, that makes said 'servant' a _____________.

The bible was written by men, simple as that. Has nothing to do with Jehovah being a hard ass before the birth/sacrifice of his eternal/immortal son who also happens to be himself. Slavery was an accepted practice at the time some random unknown dude inked that line on some papyrus or goat skin. So makes sense that when he reasons that people shouldn't covet or steal their neighbors property, human chattel would be included. Slaves were a man's most valuable possession for a large chunk of human history.

But if you want to believe Yahweh's divine, infallible word explicitly sanctioned slavery, go nuts. Plenty of Antebellum Southerners used passages from the bible to justify their 'peculiar institution'.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWINdyCity

Why didn't god try his thing in Egypt first?

Because the Egyptians weren't the "Chosen ones". Monotheism was a new concept that I'm sure the Egyptians wanted no part of.

Because the Egyptians weren't the "Chosen ones". Monotheism was a new concept that I'm sure the Egyptians wanted no part of.
    Aside from those that were "chosen", I'm sure many shook their heads at the concept of one God, alongside the Egyptians.

As far as the OP goes, its how life those days were. Slaves were slaves and were of key value. Wasn't sugar coated, nor anything else along those lines either.

Banned

Zoroastrianism, a monotheistic religion that the Abrahamic religions clearly lifted ideas from (one true God, Holy Trinity with Father/Son/Spirit, messiah, armageddon, etc) had been very influential in the region for many centuries. The Egyptians themselves flirted with monotheism when Ptolemy Soter created Serapis, an amalgam of Egyptian Gods and Hellenistic worship.

The most amazing part of religion to me is that it has persisted through the ages in some way, fashion or form. I wonder if we will ever get to a point where the majority of people on Earth don't believe in religion (mostly due to education). It seems like religion was a construct to keep ignorant people from doing ignorant, not good for society, things. An easy way to make rules that transcended all reason of punishment.

I'd say there was a point in time where people truly didn't do bad stuff because they felt it went again their religious beliefs. Nowadays people don't do bad stuff because it goes against the law. Religious beliefs only come into play for most people when a situation is hopeless.

The 10 ISH commandments

1. Thou shalt click the ads regularly

2. Thou shalt post in the team forums

3. Thou shalt never question Jeff

4. Thou shalt neg anonymously

5. Honor thy Godbe

6. Thou shalt reject Dwight Howard

7. Thou shalt never speak against the jews

8. Thou shalt create alts to rep yourself

9. Thou shalt be famous

10. ISH = #1, always