Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Series Thread: Brooklyn versus Raptors!

Raptors can't let it be close in the 4th quarter. I have cut on vasquez for taking hero shots before, but i take that back, because he has definitely earned the right to take them. Derozen in my eyes has also developed his game and confidence for me to have faith in his as well. Lowry is the most clutch guy on the team in my eyes. These three guys have the balls to make and take hte big shots - but they just don't compare to Pierce, Johnson and Deron. This is where experience truly counts.

Greg Maddux used to say that when he got into high pressure situations he wouldn't try to throw harder the way most pitchers might - he focused harder on trying to locate his pitches better. I'm thinking that's the mentality of these veterans - they don't try to jump higher, drive harder etc. - they just zone in and relax.

Moreover, Pierce, Deron and Johnson have more complete offensive games than Derozen/Vasquez/Lowry/Ross. Lowry's at the peak of his game. Derozen's pretty good now having refined his 3 pt shooting and his post game to complement his mid-range game and ability to get to the basket and the foul line. Ross is weak inside the 3 pt line, and with all his explosiveness, he's got nothing going to the net with a defended in front of him. Vasquez is not athletic enough.

Compare that to Deron/Pierce/Johnson - these guys have true post games and can bully their defenders.

So what i am saying is that the Raptors need to get ahead and stay ahead because in a tight game, as Pierce showed, Raps will have a tough time matching clutch baskets.

Just curious - but let's say next year the Raptors keep this team mostly intact. Anyone else in favour of bringing back Vince? I like him as the guy to replace what Salmons does (which for many of you ISH'ers, you'll say is nothing). I just think it would be great to have yet another guy who has got a more complete offensive game, and who has the balls and ability to make key shots in crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by missionman
    Just curious - but let's say next year the Raptors keep this team mostly intact. Anyone else in favour of bringing back Vince? I like him as the guy to replace what Salmons does (which for many of you ISH'ers, you'll say is nothing). I just think it would be great to have yet another guy who has got a more complete offensive game, and who has the balls and ability to make key shots in crunch time.
    I've actually read this a lot around here and other Raptor boards. I would take him over Salmons every time. I actually think he has enough left in the tank to be a good player coming off the bench. I think Vince's defense over the year has actually been decent too. His strength is still there. His durability has been remarkable since leaving Toronto. Played at an average about 78-79 games a season.

But I think more than anything if Vince comes back (he has said he wants to say in Dallas, though), it will be a legacy move firstly and then a basketball contributor to the Raptors secondly.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i just learned that your team normally runs something called "horns." it sounds very potent, versatile and deceptive.

our film guy broke it down and suggested ways to beat it:
    http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/4/17/5...at-the-raptors

anybody know if there’s a toronto report on how to beat the nets?
    Raptors have utilized screens so effectively this season, to get our shooters nice shots. Really surprised how effective casey and his staff have been in running our offense. Never knew they were called horns, guess it makes sense.

Not sure if there is a detailed breakdown of the nets offense out there, but brooklyn do have excellent iso scorers in pierce, williams and johnson. So I guess its not surprising they build their offense around that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-offense-works

Quote Originally Posted by Himan12
    Raptors have utilized screens so effectively this season, to get our shooters nice shots. Really surprised how effective casey and his staff have been in running our offense. Never knew they were called horns, guess it makes sense.

Not sure if there is a detailed breakdown of the nets offense out there, but brooklyn do have excellent iso scorers in pierce, williams and johnson. So I guess its not surprising they build their offense around that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-offense-works
    I've watched B-Ball breakdown from Coach Nick and he's the one who first introduced me to the "Horns" play set.

I think the Raptors can bounce back, but they really need both DeRozan and Ross to get their shooting touch together. If Ross can hit some baseline 3's and DeMar mixes it up with his in between game, we should take game 2. Lowry and Val should be fine, although Val's DUI court date is tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by missionman

I know Tim Leiweke and Masai Ujiri have been angling towards bringing him back, but I wouldn't be able to support the Raptors if they did. Would be absolutely shameful. I get the forgive and forget, but there are consequences to giving up on your team and asking for a trade. He shouldn't be brought back, and no way do I even think about retiring Carter's number in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I've watched B-Ball breakdown from Coach Nick and he's the one who first introduced me to the "Horns" play set.

I think the Raptors can bounce back, but they really need both DeRozan and Ross to get their shooting touch together. If Ross can hit some baseline 3's and DeMar mixes it up with his in between game, we should take game 2. Lowry and Val should be fine, although Val's DUI court date is tomorrow as well.
    Ross needs to stay on the floor no ticky tack fouls, derozan was as bad as he'll get in game 1. Also think val doesn't have to show up for that, his lawyer will be there to represent him.

1-1

Need to cut down on these turnovers. 21 tonight, other than that everything in game 2 I liked from them.

Keys to success (Game 3)
    - Feed the post (JV/Amir against KG/Pierce = huge mismatch)
    - Limit turnovers (19 the first game, 20 the second - will not win like this)
    - More penetration & kick out to start the half (2nd straight game with a poor showing in the 3rd Q)
    - Force turnovers (Nets only have 18 TOs in the series)
    - Space the floor (2/16 from downtown in game 2)

Not going to lie, I was thinking about this during the game too... Fields might have to start for Ross. He has actually played better today than Ross did in the last 2 games.

I think after 2 games, the pressure has gotten to Ross. I don't think it gets any better for him on the road. If Fields starts, we get a true SF to guard Joe Johnson or Paul Pierce. Ross comes off the bench to give us scoring and defense against a weaker Brooklyn bench unit. I think Ross/Vasquez/Patterson bench rotation would work wonders for the offense.

The only thing that wouldn't really work is the spacing. With Ross out, that leave Lowry as our only true outside 3 point shooter. We'll see what happens, though.

What a great series thus far.

Fields guarding Johnson was a great move, and probably should have been done in game 1. He completely took Johnson out of the game. Johnson's in-the-lane floater has been really effective and Fields' length can negate that. Fields can probably irritate Livingston's game as well.

I can't wait for game 3!

Learning to shoot layups

I didn't think that Fields should start, but i definitely thought he should get some burn after watching game 1.

Ross doesn't have a complentary game to deal with intense defense, if he's not draining 3's.

Was listening to Butch Carter on the Fan590. I think butch called it that Fields would be starting if he were the coach.

Butch is an 'interesting' guy - he has some real true gems of insight, but then half the time I'm thinking "wtf are you talking about?"

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Not going to lie, I was thinking about this during the game too... Fields might have to start for Ross. He has actually played better today than Ross did in the last 2 games.

I think after 2 games, the pressure has gotten to Ross. I don't think it gets any better for him on the road. If Fields starts, we get a true SF to guard Joe Johnson or Paul Pierce. Ross comes off the bench to give us scoring and defense against a weaker Brooklyn bench unit. I think Ross/Vasquez/Patterson bench rotation would work wonders for the offense.

The only thing that wouldn't really work is the spacing. With Ross out, that leave Lowry as our only true outside 3 point shooter. We'll see what happens, though.
    Good post. I agree that it makes sense on D but not on O. Personally I would stick with the same rotation as yesterday because it worked. A few of those shots that Ross missed will fall for him. I think he comes out better next game. If not you can always pull him a few mins in.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Good post. I agree that it makes sense on D but not on O. Personally I would stick with the same rotation as yesterday because it worked. A few of those shots that Ross missed will fall for him. I think he comes out better next game. If not you can always pull him a few mins in.
    This is absolutely correct.

Ross can "go off" based on talent work ethic. I am absolutely certain that Casey has him on a very tight leash with defeinsive intensity; but if the stroke happens to go smooth for Ross - well a quote I read was "shooting the ball into the pacific ocean".

Play Ross situationally up the minutes when going good - down the minutes when not.

Quote Originally Posted by SESSEL15
    What a great series thus far....
    I can't wait for game 3!

+1