Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    I wish that more people (who had this problem) understood that it is a behavioral disorder. It's not a "disease" as some people have described it as and it's very correctable. I'm living proof of that. Having said that, as others have said it takes major guts for a guy with this problem to choose a career like playing in the NBA. A career that involves frequent flights, a lot of media obligations, playing in front of thousands of fans, tremendous training schedule and pressures of winning, etc...I don't know whether he will succeed in doing all this but I do know I have an ultimate amount of respect for him for not giving up on his dream.
    Yes, a disorder caused by brain chemicals which means it is physical. It's a physical issue just like blindness or deafness. He can't control it. The difference though is that there is a lot of help to turn to for anxiety.
    Last edited by RoseCity07; 10-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I hope he can get past it, but he's in the wrong career path.
    Yup. If you can't cut it, you can't cut it. Being an NBA player requires more than an ability to play basketball well. You have to be able to play 100 48-minute games every year for years at a time, you have to do it in a huge arena, you have to do it with pressure, you have to do it with 11 other guys. If you can't cut it, you need to do something else.

There is a "war" element to professional sports. And if you've got 12 warriors, you can't have one of them having all these special needs and you have him not because he's an asset but because you feel bad and you wish he could produce.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Yes, a disorder caused by brain chemicals which means it is physical. It's a physical issue just like blindness or deafness. He can't control it. The difference though is that there is a lot of help to turn to for anxiety.
    I challenge you to actually do some legit research on the subject. The "chemical imbalance" theory has been around for years but there's been numerous tests and none have confirmed or supported that fact. I say this as someone who was told that same theory by a psychiatrist and given some vitamins and seratonin pills to balance it out and they had no affect whatsoever. Numerous studies have compared the results of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy vs. pills and CBT without pills has proven to be the method that cures most sufferers. And has been the one that has brought me at least to the brink of a cure now compared to where I was. It is controllable, and not just controllable, curable, and it's ignorance on the subject to think otherwise. And it's not physical whatsoever. People with anxiety issues by themself have no physical symptoms. It's your mind that makes you feel like you do.
    Last edited by C-Webb4; 10-06-2012 at 01:15 AM.

I challenge you to actually do some legit research on the subject. The "chemical imbalance" theory has been around for years but there's been numerous tests and none have confirmed or supported that fact. I say this as someone who was told that same theory by a psychiatrist and given some vitamins and seratonin pills to balance it out and they had no affect whatsoever. Numerous studies have compared the results of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy vs. pills and CBT without pills has proven to be the method that cures most sufferers. And has been the one that has brought me at least to the brink of a cure now compared to where I was. It is controllable, and not just controllable, curable, and it's ignorance on the subject to think otherwise. And it's not physical whatsoever. People with anxiety issues by themself have no physical symptoms. It's your mind that makes you feel like you do.
    They did not work for you, but that does not mean there is anything wrong with you. You can be depressed and medication might not do anything to help. I'm just saying in some cases medication does correct it. That is evidence in my opinion that there is a chemical imbalance in certain cases. I don't know really know why some anxiety can be cured with therapy but I think that's great.

Just like medication didn't work for you, your solution might not work for certain people. Both treatments are options.

Medication contains it, it doesn't correct it. I'd love to see the research you have that shows that medication by itself has corrected an anxiety disorder.

They did not work for you, but that does not mean there is anything wrong with you. You can be depressed and medication might not do anything to help. I'm just saying in some cases medication does correct it. That is evidence in my opinion that there is a chemical imbalance in certain cases. I don't know really know why some anxiety can be cured with therapy but I think that's great.

Just like medication didn't work for you, your solution might not work for certain people. Both treatments are options.
    Good post, Anxiety disorders are not caused by any one thing. All cases are different, all patients are different. For some people it's life crippling problem for others it's a minor annoyance. Everyone deals with it in different ways, not every docotr approaches the problem form the same angle

Anyone, Doctor, therapist, indian chief or even somebody who suffers some form of anxiety disorder themselves, who tries to make it a one size fits all problem is doing those that suffer a terrible disservice. You can't say it worked for me so it has to work for that person because what they suffer from could be 180 degrees the other way. Just like not all spot are measles, not all coughs are bronchitis, not all anxiety disorders are the same.

As I said, find one piece of evidence that shows that medicine has cured anxiety for someone without therapy and i'll gladly say I stand corrected.

Medication contains it, it doesn't correct it. I'd love to see the research you have that shows that medication by itself has corrected an anxiety disorder.
    I agree. I guess I would say for some it's like a cure because their anxiety isn't ongoing. The medication just gets them through the times they need it. I don't have any research and I don't want to go find any right now. I doubt there is any. I have nothing against therapy especially if it can help the person permanently get over their anxiety. All I'm saying, if that doesn't work, then why not just treat it with medication so he can get out on the floor?

Banned

As I said, find one piece of evidence that shows that medicine has cured anxiety for someone without therapy and i'll gladly say I stand corrected.
    Does it have to be pharmaceutical medicine in your opinion?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Good post, Anxiety disorders are not caused by any one thing. All cases are different, all patients are different. For some people it's life crippling problem for others it's a minor annoyance. Everyone deals with it in different ways, not every docotr approaches the problem form the same angle

Anyone, Doctor, therapist, indian chief or even somebody who suffers some form of anxiety disorder themselves, who tries to make it a one size fits all problem is doing those that suffer a terrible disservice. You can't say it worked for me so it has to work for that person because what they suffer from could be 180 degrees the other way. Just like not all spot are measles, not all coughs are bronchitis, not all anxiety disorders are the same.

QFT

Will rep.

I agree. I guess I would say for some it's like a cure because their anxiety isn't ongoing. The medication just gets them through the times they need it. I don't have any research and I don't want to go find any right now. I doubt there is any. I have nothing against therapy especially if it can help the person permanently get over their anxiety. All I'm saying, if that doesn't work, then why not just treat it with medication so he can get out on the floor?
    Ok fair enough. And I wasn't saying there is a blanket cure that works for everyone by the way. All I was saying is that some see a "cure" in a different way than others. My mother has anxiety issues too and she doesn't do any therapy. She takes anxiety meds and has done so for about the past 15 years. They do help her to feel mellowed out and lower her stress levels but if she ever can't take her pills or runs out or for any reason misses a dose, her anxiety levels are significantly higher than they were without the pills. So at it's core, the "cure" lies in facing your fears and retraining your brain into how to handle it when your symptoms arise. I'm not just pulling this out of my ass or stating what has worked or not worked for me, it's scientific fact, it's been tested.

Banned

I don't understand why he doesn't take medication for it. If he does, why isn't it working? Someone told me that the medication messes his focus up. That sounds like bullshit. I've taken anxiety medication before and it did not affect my focus. I'm not everyone, but I had no idea that some people can't play basketball on it.
    That can definitely alter your focus, attention longevity, mood, motivation..among many other things.

Banned

Ok fair enough. And I wasn't saying there is a blanket cure that works for everyone by the way. All I was saying is that some see a "cure" in a different way than others. My mother has anxiety issues too and she doesn't do any therapy. She takes anxiety meds and has done so for about the past 15 years. They do help her to feel mellowed out and lower her stress levels but if she ever can't take her pills or runs out or for any reason misses a dose, her anxiety levels are significantly higher than they were without the pills. So at it's core, the "cure" lies in facing your fears and retraining your brain into how to handle it when your symptoms arise. I'm not just pulling this out of my ass or stating what has worked or not worked for me, it's scientific fact, it's been tested.
    Your mothers 'anxiety' didn't become worse when she ran out of meds.. Its the fact that the drugs are so potent that she started immediately feeling the withdrawal symptoms.

withdrawal from any substance will give you headaches, the shakes, and depending on the specific case can get quite severe.

A lot of people get added anxiety simply by dropping caffeine cold turkey.. So one can only imagine with SSRI type meds.

If you stop the meds suddenly instead of progressively tapering off.. You will feel anxiety (and even panic attacks) much worse than your original problem. You end up in a highened state of anxious neurosis.
    Last edited by ZeN; 10-06-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Your mothers 'anxiety' didn't become worse when she ran out of meds.. Its the fact that the drugs are so potent that she started immediately feeling the withdrawal symptoms.

withdrawal from any substance will give you headaches, the shakes, and depending on the specific case can get quite severe.

A lot of people get added anxiety simply by dropping caffeine cold turkey.. So one can only imagine with SSRI type meds.
    Yes, I know that even though I didn't state it in my post. It becomes a chemical dependency after awhile. Point being still that the pills don't cure anxiety. They just make it more manageable. And there are a high percentage of people in clinical studies (something like 80%+) who have been able to be cured without them. Or with a combination of the pills and therapy but weaning off the pills slowly as they improve.

Banned

Yes, I know that even though I didn't state it in my post. It becomes a chemical dependency after awhile. Point being still that the pills don't cure anxiety. They just make it more manageable. And there are a high percentage of people in clinical studies (something like 80%+) who have been able to be cured without them. Or with a combination of the pills and therapy but weaning off the pills slowly as they improve.
    I see what what your saying.

I personally feel that regardless of what you do, there is no cure.

No matter what medicinal products you take or therapy you experience.. If you have these issues, you are always a few catalyst situations away from rebounding to the foul state.

Which is why no matter what you do, it is important to adjust the lifestyle to things that will maintain a certain sense of equilibrium. Work on habits that will allow you to be stable, avoid things that set off the condition, and face problems with an open mind and willingness to change.

Unfortunately most issues like the one in the OP can only be solved by Shock. He will have to suffer in forcing himself to face reality, evaluate the situation, and come to terms with what needs to be done for his life to change.

Nothing will change...until he wants things to change.. Acceptance can be a real bitch..
    Last edited by ZeN; 10-06-2012 at 02:21 AM.