Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    This pretty much it. Mac is just better at everything.
    What is "everything"?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    The windows laptop I would get is more expensive than the mac. I'm looking at the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus vs the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina. I just don't get why people are saying Windows 8.1 is so bad?

IMO the samsung is a sleeker machine and windows seems to handle multitasking better. The cons are it doesn't have AppleCare, bad dpi scaling and for me...it's just all new.

Idk...just trying to get to why everyone thinks windows 8.1 is so bad...
    If it's for a laptop, then Macs generally have the advantage in hardware design, better battery life, and a much better track pad. It really depends on what software you need in the end. I know some people that run Windows on their Macs but I'd recommend against that as it reduces your battery life.

I thought this thread would be about Wilt Chamberlair. Color me disappointed.

Da Mavs

Windows 8 is the shittiest OS I have ever encountered in my life. Even Vista was better. So ****ing un-user friendly and all they want to do is shove apps down your throat.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Windows 8 is the shittiest OS I have ever encountered in my life. Even Vista was better. So ****ing un-user friendly and all they want to do is shove apps down your throat.
    lol wrong

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    The only thing I hate about Mac are all the viruses and malware, said no one, ever.
    As the amount of Macs has expanded the virus developers have finally began to target Macs.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Windows 8 sucks but you can just switch it to 7.

Don't get a mac. Macs are so overpriced. If you really wanna spend 1000-2000 on a laptop you could get a much better laptop than a Mac.

People make the error of comparing a 1500 dollar mac to a 700 dollar windows laptop so obviously the mac will be better, but for 1500 you can get a far superior windows laptop than a 1500 mac laptop.

For 1100 you can get an alienware computer which is far superior than a mac.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 10-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    What is "everything"?

reliability, power consumption, susceptibility to viruses, no driver issues, fewer networking issues, more versatility (you can easily dual boot or emulate windows), the OS is inherently more secure.

But Jameer is right, gaming on anything other than windows sucks if you are into PC gaming.

Like i always say comparing windows to mac is like comparing a mustang or a camaro to a volvo. You can soup up a camaro to make it eat a volvo alive but they are shoddily built and the more tinkering equates to more reliability issues. The volvo is much safer, more luxurious, and more expensive, but is pretty much bulletproof. It will run like new for years.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    reliability, power consumption, susceptibility to viruses, no driver issues, fewer networking issues, more versatility (you can easily dual boot or emulate windows), the OS is inherently more secure.

But Jameer is right, gaming on anything other than windows sucks if you are into PC gaming.

Like i always say comparing windows to mac is like comparing a mustang or a camaro to a volvo. You can soup up a camaro to make it eat a volvo alive but they are shoddily built and the more tinkering equates to more reliability issues. The volvo is much safer, more luxurious, and more expensive, but is pretty much bulletproof. It will run like new for years.
    not saying macs are bad machines, but an equal value windows machine is comparable if not exceeds that of the mac.

compare the specs of the mba to a samsung ativ book 9 plus or acer s7. read the reviews, they are all very comparable machines with some aspects being better then others. calling the mba a volvo and the samsung a camaro is not accurate. all 3 are like an audi vs benz vs bmw.

i personally prefer either one of the windows machines...i currently own all 3 and like the mac the least.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    not saying macs are bad machines, but an equal value windows machine is comparable if not exceeds that of the mac.

compare the specs of the mba to a samsung ativ book 9 plus or acer s7. read the reviews, they are all very comparable machines with some aspects being better then others. calling the mba a volvo and the samsung a camaro is not accurate. all 3 are like an audi vs benz vs bmw.

i personally prefer either one of the windows machines...i currently own all 3 and like the mac the least.

its not just about raw stats though... Its how effectively and efficiently the OS uses the power, that combined with the fact that OSX is designed to only run on very specific hardware, while Windows is designed to run on anything. The people at apple know exactly how their products are going to run, while at windows, X model HP may run windows 8 great, but Y model Dell with similar or identical stats runs it like sh*t. OSX requires a lot more user permissions, so you'll never get unwanted programs or scripts that will just install themselves or just start running like they do on windows. You also never have to keep an antivirus software running in the background.

its not just about raw stats though... Its how effectively and efficiently the OS uses the power, that combined with the fact that OSX is designed to only run on very specific hardware, while Windows is designed to run on anything. The people at apple know exactly how their products are going to run, while at windows, X model HP may run windows 8 great, but Y model Dell with similar or identical stats runs it like sh*t. OSX requires a lot more user permissions, so you'll never get unwanted programs or scripts that will just install themselves or just start running like they do on windows. You also never have to keep an antivirus software running in the background.
    I haven't had a virus in i don't know how long. all i run is window's built in defender. all that noise about apple products "just working" is a load of bs. i lost count how many times my mac would freeze up.

also, both window's machines have better screens and they are both touchscreens. i didnt think i would be using that feature at all on a laptop, but it has turned out to be quite pleasant and natural to use when scrolling around.

get your windows machine from microsoft directly and it will be free of any bloatware.

the mac does have better battery life, but 9 hours on my samsung is sufficient for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Any thoughts on the OS X Mavericks?
    Its pretty nice

LOVE that its free

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Goes to show you how much you know about technology. Typical Apple-only fanboy?

Good college starter

None of that means anything if the OS doesn't support the software you need.

Reliability is quite a vague term. What exactly are you referring to here? As for using bootcamp to run Windows, well you're comparing the hardware now. The discussion was to compare the two OS's. If you're going to end up running Windows on your Mac laptop, you lose one of its main advantages, which is battery life.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    Goes to show you how much you know about technology. Typical Apple-only fanboy?
    I have never owned a Mac before...my new MBA is coming in the mail though. Used Windows my entire life. Windows 7 is fantastic. I had to use my sister's laptop with 8 on it for a week and nearly killed my self at how painful it was.