Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Question about travelling

The other day I was playing down at the park and a bit of an arguement started about whether I travelled or not. Basically, I took a pass - standing still - and noticed I was close enough to the rim to take a lay-up off 2 steps.

Now, I've never read the rulebook, and just picked the game up from watching and talking to other people, but I assumed that seeing as you can take 2 steps at the end of a dribble going into a lay-up that I'd be able to do the same without the dribble.

So some of the guys said I couldn't do it without dribbling first, others said I could take one step and once I lifter my pivot foot I'd have to shoot of pass, and others said I can only take 2 steps without dribbling after catching only if I am already in motion (like on a fast break).

Honestly I don't know what the rule is. So basically I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on it.

Decent playground baller Sticks's Avatar

Default Re: Question about travelling

When you catch the ball on both feet you can lift one foot to establish the other as your pivot foot. You can then either dribble to move or (your case) you can make a 1-step movement where you lift your pivot foot. However you are then not allowed to put your pivot foot back on the floor whilst still holding the ball.

In short, you travelled. You are not allowed to perform a 2-step movement from standstill.

You really aren't ever allowed to take 2 full steps... it's supposed to be a step and half. When you aren't moving, you can only use that one step and you pivot foot is established and if you lift it it's a travel... when moving, you will take that first half step and then you next step establishes you pivot foot.

But yea you definitely traveled. But that's why you can't ever think of it as 2 steps... cus it could get confusing and you could make a mistake like that. It probably even felt like a travel when you did it lol.

Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Thanks for the answers. Got to admit I was going to dribble in the back of my mind but then thought I had it covered without. Swaggin your answer also made me think of it in a new way. Both repped.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

I've wondered about this also. I can take the steps for a layup if I'm in motion, right? So if I'm running the break and I catch a pass, I can take my two steps then go up?

Either way, usually when I'm going in for a layup off a pass, I prefer to go off two feet cause I can't always catch the pass with good balance. I just take one power dribble then go up stronger.

Decent playground baller Sticks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    I've wondered about this also. I can take the steps for a layup if I'm in motion, right? So if I'm running the break and I catch a pass, I can take my two steps then go up?

Either way, usually when I'm going in for a layup off a pass, I prefer to go off two feet cause I can't always catch the pass with good balance. I just take one power dribble then go up stronger.
    It's not really 2 steps, once you catch the ball you can plant both your feet once.

a 1-footed lay-up example, you catch the pass, you land on your right foot first, you then put your left foot down and you are not allowed to put your right foot back down again.

For 2 feet it's the same but you never remove your right foot from the ground. You have to be careful here with travelling because a lot of players don't land with 2 feet at once, establishing their back foot as their pivot but often forget and lift the back foot making it a travel still.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis

Yea I mean when you catch a pas in motion that first half step is not establishing a pivot foot, it's your next step... and at that point you need to stop, shoot or pass. So the answer to your question is yes. You just can't take 2 steps when you aren't in motion.

You always go up with more balance off 2 feet so that's what is good abou it... but sometimes it's more useful to go off one because it's quicker and may be the difference between a bucket and block.