Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: May lowest job growth in 5 1/2 years, unemployment drops .3%

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    And if in June there is a surge in employment, I bet you won't make a thread about that, huh.

Partisan hack is a partisan hack.

BTW, there are jobs out there but those 500,000 Americans are too lazy to work and would rather collect unemployment benefits...damn leeches.
    It's moreso a lack of skills than anything else. Our education system needs serious reform.

National High School Star

This will probably be used as an excuse not to raise rates... yet again.

This year shaping up to be a lot like last year. Fed reserve lying out of it's mouth about raising rates. Last year they were forced to raise the rate once at the very end just for credibility's sake after talking all year about it. When this year started, fed reserve officials were talking about raising rates 4 times Half the year has gone by and it hasn't been raised once. Economy must be doing really well lol

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    It's moreso a lack of skills than anything else. Our education system needs serious reform.

Just like in basketball, my friend... It's not the system, it's the players.

The triangle looks like a pretty good system when you have Michael Jordan and Shaquille ONeal. How does it look with Melo and JR Smith? Im sure our education system would look pretty good if we had a nation-wide culture that valued learning and productivity.

But, I get it. Just like fans cant come to terms with the fact that significant personnel upgrades can be difficult to find and take a while to make, so too dont most people want to hear that it's the everyday people in our communities that need to change. We all need to improve ourselves. It's not something the government can "fix."

Typical fans are desperate to believe a quick coaching switcheroo, a lil change of 'the system', a snap of the fingers will be the insta-fix. "Dude, fire the coach! With a new system my 76ers will be hoisting the chip next year!!!"

It's not much different with this education mindset. Sports fans are known for their difficulty in accepting reality. Just like most voters. But hey, maybe the government CAN make it all better. Maybe Popovich could get the Nets to the finals in a couple years without changing any personnel, just adding a new system!

Wouldnt bet on it tho.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Every job report that has been put out under any administration whether Bush or Obama has been bullshit. The numbers get skewed and manipulated to make politicians look as good as possible.
    Actually this is a load of ****ing horseshit.

The BLS numbers are pretty intensely scrutinized.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Honestly, alot of these job statistics are BS and it's used as a tool by politicans as talking points. The official stats excludes people who never had a job, people who've been unemployed for a while and people who stopped looking for a job among a few other factors.
    And the BLS puts out those numbers every month too like clockwork.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    In before you get proven wrong as usual.
    No. It was a dud of a report. The drop in the unemployment rate was due to people leaving the workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Well, see, it's relevant because just a few days ago Obama was in IN touting the awesomeness of the economy and even using the unemployment rate as evidence of such.

So you know, the report has some significance as it tells the exact opposite of what he just said.
    This actually a pretty strong argument the numbers are not manipulated to benefit the president.

But as the folks who put the charts up indicate, Obama is still right. This is one month. If you take out the temporary census hires, the last time the US lost jobs in a month was Feb 2010. We are still on a streak of 75th consecutive month of private sector job growth, the longest streak ever.

December 2013 we only added 45,000 jobs. Did we go into recession? No we entered the best year for jobs in 15 years. This could indicate a change or it could not. The bad news was job losses were pretty broad based, folks working part time but who want full time went up and the labor force rate. The good news was that wages went up and long term unemployed who still are looking went down.

Remember recently we had two years we were lost jobs every month but one and the next year 5 of 12 months had job losses.

Was this a weak month? Certainly.
    Does it disprove we are a lot better off than we used to be? Certainly not.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Then why does any of this matter? UK2K and Dresta are always getting their panties in a bunch over anytime Obama is brought up. Nothing more than mental *********ion by the both of them.
    So I tell you the opposite of what you suggest, then you just suggest it again?

Do you have an opinion on the article or no?

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    The report I posted about finding new workers states that employers find it harder to find applicants with soft skills than it is to find people qualified.

It's not education, our country is simply the 2016 version of idiocracy where your average American workers is dumb, lazy, full of excuses, and simply doesn't care.

Finding someone to show up to work on time was the biggest challenge. Finding someone who can be socially normal was second.

Quote Originally Posted by FillJackson
    No. It was a dud of a report. The drop in the unemployment rate was due to people leaving the workforce.

This actually a pretty strong argument the numbers are not manipulated to benefit the president.

But as the folks who put the charts up indicate, Obama is still right. This is one month. If you take out the temporary census hires, the last time the US lost jobs in a month was Feb 2010. We are still on a streak of 75th consecutive month of private sector job growth, the longest streak ever.

December 2013 we only added 45,000 jobs. Did we go into recession? No we entered the best year for jobs in 15 years. This could indicate a change or it could not. The bad news was job losses were pretty broad based, folks working part time but who want full time went up and the labor force rate. The good news was that wages went up and long term unemployed who still are looking went down.

Remember recently we had two years we were lost jobs every month but one and the next year 5 of 12 months had job losses.

Was this a weak month? Certainly.
    Does it disprove we are a lot better off than we used to be? Certainly not.
    Again... where did I say we aren't better off economically? Of course we are. Like any trend, it'll have its ups and downs and at some point it will revert back to the mean. I've never argued we aren't better off.

I argued Obama touting the economy as some sort of prized accomplishment is a load of shit, because while it's better, it's still not good. If I shoot 80% from the free throw line, and I miss 20 in a row, you could argue that at some point, after enough attempts, eventually I'll still shoot 80%.

After 8 years, what do we have?

The share of the labor force working part time for financial reasons rather than by choice shot up to more than 6 percent from around 3 percent prior to the 2007-2009 recession with an overall unemployment rate at around 10.4 percent. Those who work fewer than 35 hours a week account for a larger share of employment than before the recession, according to the Wall Street Journal. With about 2.4 million part-time employees today, that number is 84 percent higher than the 2003-2007 average, and this is a major reason why wage growth has been sluggish on a national basis.
    ^^from Jan last year^^

We have a job market flooded with part time jobs because, guess what, it's cheaper. No benefits, no ObamaCare. I remember saying 'companies will just hire two part time workers instead' and everyone making up excuses to try and explain why they wouldnt.

My point is, and has always been, the economy would bounce back like the stock market, no matter what. It's not an achievement, it's called regression to the mean. You or I could have brought us to this point (or better) after 8 years.

8 years. Lots of empty promises from 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Then why does any of this matter? UK2K and Dresta are always getting their panties in a bunch over anytime Obama is brought up. Nothing more than mental *********ion by the both of them.
    Stop talking about Obummer, dipshit; the US's economic woes long preceded him: he just made them worse. This a more a structural thing, a political/economic asymmetry, than something that can be blamed on an individual. I didn't bring Obama up at all (you did), though I don't like the way he brazenly lies to people, telling them the economy is great, and so on, when they know very well that it is not, from their own direct experience. This country has a vast underclass, created by falling wages and much increased cots of living, and Obama has only added to that problem (which is a sign of chronic weakness). That was the sort of thing left-wing types used to care about, but not the modern left, which seems purely obsessed with trivialities like race.

Lots of people on the actual left (you know, people who actually care about labour interests), are just as critical of the current status quo as conservatives, though I wouldn't expect you to understand that, poor indoctrinated little sheep that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    This will probably be used as an excuse not to raise rates... yet again.

This year shaping up to be a lot like last year. Fed reserve lying out of it's mouth about raising rates. Last year they were forced to raise the rate once at the very end just for credibility's sake after talking all year about it. When this year started, fed reserve officials were talking about raising rates 4 times Half the year has gone by and it hasn't been raised once. Economy must be doing really well lol
    haha, yes. Every FED announcement is a carefully prepared propaganda statement, made to try and keep things chugging along based off confidence alone. And they keep pretending that what they're doing with interest rates is completely normal, and won't have any damaging consequences, when we've known for centuries that the suppression of interest rates creates economic distortions (and having interest rates so low for so long is basicallt unprecedented in world history).

Nope, nothing wrong here.

Local High School Star

what normal adult stops looking for work?