Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Donatas Motiejunas...

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Get out of here calling a guy a bust at #20. Ridiculous. In a weak draft, at that.
    Exactly. Even if all Motiejunas achieves is being solid bench player, he already wouldnt be a bust considering 20th pick in a weak draft. However, I wouldnt be surprised if he would become a decent starter. Fringe All-star? Overachievement.

NBA rookie of the year

Donatas is amazing, seriously guys..
    I don't know how many of you play basketball for real but he's not gonna be a bust. He played for Lithuania's u18 team when I played for Sweden's u18 team and we played against them.

Dude was amazing, he had 35 points in 20 minutes and only missed 2 shots all game long. He looks weak but he is really strong. And no, our NT didn't suck that much, we put Jeff Taylor from Vanderbilt on him, and Jeff is listed as an early 2nd round pick next year, so he ain't no scrub.. Donatas killed Jeff and every other guy we put on him, so smooth and so skilled!

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    I don't know how many of you play basketball for real but he's not gonna be a bust. He played for Lithuania's u18 team when I played for Sweden's u18 team and we played against them.

Dude was amazing, he had 35 points in 20 minutes and only missed 2 shots all game long. He looks weak but he is really strong. And no, our NT didn't suck that much, we put Jeff Taylor from Vanderbilt on him, and Jeff is listed as an early 2nd round pick next year, so he ain't no scrub.. Donatas killed Jeff and every other guy we put on him, so smooth and so skilled!
    What does that have to do with anything?

NBA rookie of the year

What does that have to do with anything?
    I've seen alot of posts about people on ISH calling Motiejunas weak or whatever, I can tell you this. I've played against both Motiejunas and Jonas Jerebko who plays for the Pistons and in all honesty I can say that Motiejunas is way stronger and more skilled than him, calling Motiejunas out and call him weak is absurd. People on this site can't barely dribble a ball and bash players for the most pathetic reasons..

I've seen alot of posts about people on ISH calling Motiejunas weak or whatever, I can tell you this. I've played against both Motiejunas and Jonas Jerebko who plays for the Pistons and in all honesty I can say that Motiejunas is way stronger and more skilled than him, calling Motiejunas out and call him weak is absurd. People on this site can't barely dribble a ball and bash players for the most pathetic reasons..
    There are also people who do play basketball, a lot even, that don't know shit about evaluating players. I know this for a fact. That's why I was asking.

Also, you can be strong and still play soft. If you don't play aggressive or with fire, you're soft. It doesn't matter how physically strong you are if you don't use it.

He's buried behind Marcus Morris, Jordan Hill, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson, and Chuck Hayes on the depth chart. Even assuming Morris plays the 3, where's he going to get minutes?

I think he's got a lot of potential as a scoring big guy but cracking the Rockets' rotation will be a challenge in itself.

Do you play professionally? Ever heard of Rudy Mbemba?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Do you play professionally? Ever heard of Rudy Mbemba?
    Yeah, we come from the same team in Stockholm and I have played against him plenty of times. He plays in the same league as I do know. I play in the highest league in Sweden and so does Rudy, he is good but he wasted his chance, he could have been drafted..

NBA rookie of the year

There are also people who do play basketball, a lot even, that don't know shit about evaluating players. I know this for a fact. That's why I was asking.

Also, you can be strong and still play soft. If you don't play aggressive or with fire, you're soft. It doesn't matter how physically strong you are if you don't use it.
    That's absolutely true, but I think he will be something big. I have played against other really good players as well, like Detroit's Jonas Jerebko who was a starter before he got injured and Motiejunas was so without no doubt better than him. He is extremely talented, I hope his future is bright, eitherwise it would be a waste waste of talent.

He's buried behind Marcus Morris, Jordan Hill, Luis Scola, Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson, and Chuck Hayes on the depth chart. Even assuming Morris plays the 3, where's he going to get minutes?

I think he's got a lot of potential as a scoring big guy but cracking the Rockets' rotation will be a challenge in itself.
    i'm pretty sure scola and hill's days as rockets are numbered.

rockets are going to try morris out at the 3

Well, Chuck is a free agent, and Hill kinda sucks so it might not be that hard.

C - Hill/Motiejunas/Thabeet
    PF - Scola/Patterson
    SF - Morris/Budinger/Parsons

I figure he could get away with playing the center position now that it's all but dead. But, even if Hayes is re-signed, I could still see Motiejunas getting minutes at center or power forward because Hayes played center last year. Jordan Hill and Thabeet need to improve A LOT.

That's absolutely true, but I think he will be something big. I have played against other really good players as well, like Detroit's Jonas Jerebko who was a starter before he got injured and Motiejunas was so without no doubt better than him. He is extremely talented, I hope his future is bright, eitherwise it would be a waste waste of talent.
    Straight up - is he lazy? Does he have stretches where his head isn't in the game?

That's all I'm concerned about.

Straight up - is he lazy? Does he have stretches where his head isn't in the game?

yeah, the biggest knock on him is his desire/work ethic. hopefully being coached by McHale will change that.

NBA rookie of the year

That's the only thing I can think about leading to him being the 20th picked, he is definitely better than Jerebko who's a starter in the NBA and 3 years older than him. I've played against Jerebko a couple of times and he was guardable even if he busted everyone's ass. Motiejunas on the other hand, he was just too freaking good, scary good.. and him I faced with our nationalteam, he just busted everyone's ass and made everyone look like kids..

He will surprise many of those who thinks he'll be a bust if he puts work to his training.. I'm a Rocket fan myself and I'm absolutely thrilled about this trade.

Yeah I dont think anyone disputes his talent and potential. Its the work ethic, attitude, character, motor. Those things people are questioning. I read too much where this dude disappears in games. Gets frustrated easily and checks out. Thats enough to turn someone away. So we'll see how he responds to the criticism. He's away from his comfort zone now. The media, coaches, players will be at him. Lets see how he handles it.

Darko was hyped up as the euro KG. And now he is nothing more than a servicable big man (backup center). You gotta be mentally and emotionally prepared to deliver. Hopefully this dude can do that in Houston or he might be on a plane ticket back home.