Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki Fails To Break Nikos Galis' All Time FIBA EuroBasket Scoring Record

Quote Originally Posted by Tide
    If Dirk played when Galis did he'd put up Wilt numbers imo. The european game was slow as **** back then...
    Completely untrue. European game is played much slower now than it was "back then".

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki Fails To Break Nikos Galis' All Time FIBA EuroBasket Scoring Record

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Completely untrue. European game is played much slower now than it was "back then".
    At least we all know Spinoulis sucks ass. Sick PPG / FG / 3pt.

Dirk > Spinoulis

That's for sure. I think Dirk > Greece.

Also USA > World
    Deron Williams = MVP
    Anthony Parker = MVP

Washed up streetballer ACCBaller1403's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    OK, I'm not into the Nowitzki vs Galis thing, but I have to mention this:
    You can say whatever you want about the (admittedly, not advanced) defense, but these are the same defenses that USA players were facing at International competitions up to the Dream Team era (really, how did the '88 Team USA manage to lose the gold medal after facing similar defenses?) and yet nobody says anything. It's not a matter of defenses, either. Put any 6'0 guy from any era against the very same defenses, and he'd struggle to be equally efficient. Galis was routinely shooting at 60%+ FG for whole tournaments, and every tournament included baskets like the ones at 1:05, 1:53, 2:01 (how the heck can someone find this stuff easy to do?), 3:59, 5:30, 5:45, 6:14, 6:55 and, of course, 7:40 - again, if this video doesn't prove he was good, put most 6-0 players (especially white ones) in an empty gym and see if they can perform the same things, then put some defense on them.

No, he wasn't a speed demon. He wasn't that kind of player. But, for his size, he had tremendous upper body strength and great hangtime, which allowed him to score so often in the paint, unlike most other European guys his size, who were shooters.
    As I said, he looks good, albeit against poor man and help D. BELIEVE me I hate when people bash older players. My knowledge is admittedly not up to par on the Euro game but I know the NBA from around 82 on and have read and watched as much as I can from before then. I believe great players translate across eras...but I can unequivocally, without a doubt say that the D in that video was not on par with what we were seeing in the NBA from at least the 70s on.

From my 5+ years of posting I know you're a knowledgeable old school poster but even you admitted the D wasn't advanced. I'm not saying all Euro D was poor; I simply don't know enough to make a judgement one way or the other. THAT video, however, had some poor, poor D.

Also, thank you for posting with intelligence and respect unlike that joke Euroleague.

Washed up streetballer ACCBaller1403's Avatar

The NBA has much worse defense than anything in that video.

Galis > Dirk.
    Way to support your argument. Then you wonder why everyone calls you a troll and wants you banned. Even the Kobe trolls think you're a troll which is very telling.

Instead of making threads crying about racism just because people don't support your awful ideas, you should work on comic up with evidence for what you're saying.

Until then you'll be seen as a joke.

I usually hit open layups

Dirk> Greece

deal with it.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by LBJDWADE63
    Dirk> Greece

deal with it.
    Certainly in terms of money.

NBA Superstar

I have to say, I want to increase my knowledge of basketball worldwide, but the original poster often seems to jump things off on the wrong foot. It's a struggle to disassociate the topic from the poster, and it's not working out in the topic's favor. I feel like if he started a topic called "Basketball > Curling" I'd come out of it hating basketball.

I find this to be unfortunate circumstances, because there's so much to learn about European basketball (and otherwise). Galis is to be respected, but it's tough to have an honest discussion with such a confrontational front.

I don't get it, Eurotrash is telling us all that an American is the best ever European scorer?

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    I don't get it, Eurotrash is telling us all that an American is the best ever European scorer?
    lol

Nikos Galis against Italy, Yugoslavia, USSR --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u006esXoBM
    Lmao, that shit would never fly in the NBA in the 80s, no wonder Galis left his homeland the USA to go to Greece.

Lol even Ricky Rubio would be a better player than Galis if he played in that era of euro basketball

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Niko Galis was drafted 68th by the Boston Celtics.

Then he went to Europe and became a Greek GOD.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Dirk doesn't seeem too concerned about any of this

Lmao, that shit would never fly in the NBA in the 80s, no wonder Galis left his homeland the USA to go to Greece.
    Yeah, yeah, wait, we've never seen these types of "arguments" before (see: 60's-70's NBA stars).
    It took a broken hand for the Celtics to cut him last from the training camp, despite having performed pretty well against players like Nate Archibald. One of the Celtics' coaching assistants who had signed for his cutting (Dan Peterson) claimed later that he and the Celtics blundered. I'll take his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    Niko Galis was drafted 68th by the Boston Celtics.

Then he went to Europe and became a Greek GOD.

This means what exactly? Oscar Schmidt was drafted 131st in 1984 and became a scoring god in Europe. But, the great Greg Wiltjer was drafted 43rd. ZOMG, imagine what a God he'd be in Europe! They'd probably take away the last 3 letters of his surname.

PS. The "great" Wiltjer was Galis' teammate in a season when Galis averaged close to 40 ppg in both Greek and European Championship (the Euroleague of its time). Wiltjer was a 12/10 or so guy at an era when there were dozens of players who had such types of stats...

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
    As I said, he looks good, albeit against poor man and help D. BELIEVE me I hate when people bash older players. My knowledge is admittedly not up to par on the Euro game but I know the NBA from around 82 on and have read and watched as much as I can from before then. I believe great players translate across eras...but I can unequivocally, without a doubt say that the D in that video was not on par with what we were seeing in the NBA from at least the 70s on.

From my 5+ years of posting I know you're a knowledgeable old school poster but even you admitted the D wasn't advanced. I'm not saying all Euro D was poor; I simply don't know enough to make a judgement one way or the other. THAT video, however, had some poor, poor D.

Also, thank you for posting with intelligence and respect unlike that joke Euroleague.

That "poor D" was the team that beat team USA at the Olympics.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 09-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.