Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Aidz's Avatar

Default What was Kidd like in prime?

I never saw him on those Nets teams that made the finals.

I imagine a better/faster/less fat version of Deron Williams.

Could he shoot the J?
    Or was he drive n' kick / go for the lay-up?

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: What was Kidd like in prime?

Not really comparable with Deron Williams.

He actually played defense, to begin with. Could guard the other team's ones and twos and perhaps the smaller threes. Not just in the perimeter but also in the post.

His outside game wasn't as developed as later in his career, but he could certainly knock down open threes.

Offensive game consisted mainly off penetration and transition.

A great leader, a great passer (obviously). His greatest strength was orchestrating the offense, the tempo. The Nets had an awesome transition game in a "between-era" that had awful pacing.

Something like a tony Parker with better rebounding and passing but no jumper... Dude could control the game like few others before him.

I agree with the above posts but also as a fan , it was somewhat frustrating to see miss some lahups because he may pass it at the last minute but changed his mind again to lay it up then would miss it ultimately.

That's my small pet peeve of him.

I do remember him dribbling downcourt as fast as any athletic PGs of today.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Something like a tony Parker with better rebounding and passing but no jumper... Dude could control the game like few others before him.
    Yes, forgot the rebounding. He would routinely have high rebounding games. 15, 16, etc. (many times part of a triple double). He was awesome, a joy to watch. Played all facets of the game and his game now is a testament to that -- being nearly 133 years old but having adjusted his game to account for arthritis and other old man diseases like inflamed prostate, probably.

Also, was an underrated athlete, sort of like Deron Williams, actually, in the sense that he didn't look athletic or muscular, but he was robust as f*ck, had incredible upper and lower body strength and generally seemed like a well-oiled machine.

Now that I think about it he was more like rondo in his prime but with a higher basketball iq

Banned

oh... you mean Ason kidd

ya i remember him before he had a J

great defender. great play maker... he was lucky to have lead those nets team during an era when the _eastern confrence had an L at the beginning of it

didn't care for the guy. or the team

deron is nothing like him... he was more like rajon rondo

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

More like a mini Magic with top notch D.

mini magic during showtime era. he was absolutely an one man fastbreak if he got the long rebound on the opposing FT line. He was absolutely so faster than everyone even with the ball, with dribble as well. His crossover at full court speed was lightning quick speed and he could lay it up with both hands.

His J was weak as hell and his game kinda suffered a bit in the half court setting. Its really amazing how much his J has come as his career comes to a close.

He was an extremly flashy passer with super vision/passing skills and amazing rebounding for his size, always was a smart defender aswell.

If Magic Johnson was 6'4" he would probably be much like J-Kidd.

Too many people selling magic johnson short. I dont remember magic being a sub 40% shooter most of his career.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eurobum

Offensive game consisted mainly off penetration and transition.
    Consisted mostly of a lot of missed shots. He shot way too much for a sub 40% shooter.

Now that I think about it he was more like rondo in his prime but with a higher basketball iq
    This, except much better.

Rondo is one of those players that controls the ball and passes for assists.

Think Steve Nash as a passer, with Rondos ability to do everything else. Except I'd say a better jumper than Rondo, and great defense.

I maintain that he's the 3rd best pg ever after Magic and Isiah.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Kidd was one of those players that early in his career you knew right away he was HOF caliber. The dude was just asoume too watch. The closest thing to Magic Johnson in the 90s in playmaking, passing and rebounding. He never developed into a good far range shooter (a must for a pg of today) thats the only knock on him. Other than that, the dude was just a best controling the tempo, splitting defenses, great fundamental handles, head up all the time, great presicion passing (in Stockton style) and great defense. He would be the best defensive pg right now if he was in his prime.

Good defender, pretty good 3 point shooter (though not as good mid-range), fantastic at transition offense. Him + Kenyon Martin + Richard Jefferson in the open court was fun to watch.