Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Criticize my shooting form

quit playing/10

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Always try to release the ball at the highest point of your jump.

i gotta post a new vid of my "fixed" shooting form.

Not airballing my layups anymore

First thing I noticed is the way you hold the ball out in front of your chest before going into your motion. I feel like in a game situation that's going to make your shot easy to defend. You're making it like a set jumpshot, rather than one fluid motion.

Imagine having the ball in triple threat position, you should be able to take the ball from your hip to release in one fluid motion. Bringing it up in front of you like that with a hitch exposes the ball to your defender unnecessarily. I would key in on that and try to swipe the ball away from you every time, and it would also allow me to time your release for a block

A drill I like (which you'd need a friend for) is to catch passes above your head and go immediately into your shot, IE the ball never comes down below your shoulders. It might feel unnatural, but it will help you break that bad habit and make you focus on the mechanics of your elbow and wrist. The hitch is a comfort thing, so you have to become more comfortable with the ball in different places. You should be able to catch and shoot all in one fluid motion, and not need the ball in that one specific spot to feel comfortable.

National High School Star

I personally thought the biggest thing you could work on was your follow through. You arm seems to stop slightly bent, try following through with your shooting arm all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by percolator
    First thing I noticed is the way you hold the ball out in front of your chest before going into your motion. I feel like in a game situation that's going to make your shot easy to defend. You're making it like a set jumpshot, rather than one fluid motion.

Imagine having the ball in triple threat position, you should be able to take the ball from your hip to release in one fluid motion. Bringing it up in front of you like that with a hitch exposes the ball to your defender unnecessarily. I would key in on that and try to swipe the ball away from you every time, and it would also allow me to time your release for a block

A drill I like (which you'd need a friend for) is to catch passes above your head and go immediately into your shot, IE the ball never comes down below your shoulders. It might feel unnatural, but it will help you break that bad habit and make you focus on the mechanics of your elbow and wrist. The hitch is a comfort thing, so you have to become more comfortable with the ball in different places. You should be able to catch and shoot all in one fluid motion, and not need the ball in that one specific spot to feel comfortable.
    Not dipping the ball before shooting is hard, unless you are really strong or near to the basket. But yea unnecessary dipping could make it easier to contest since it takes longer to take your shot. What I suggest is just be ready, feet set, legs bent and just spring up once you catch the ball.