Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What is your ethnicity? (and two bonus questions)

my mom is part spanish/irish and filipino my dad is filipino/chinese, I actually always get mistaken for a Korean or Chinese dude

Dad's side- 1/2 Ukrainian, 1/2 Austrian

Mom's side- 3/4 Polish, 1/4 Ukrainian (although still can't get a straight answer as to whether my mom's one GD is actually ethnically Ukrainian or Polish so she may be entirely Polish).

Technically may be party "Jewish" if you consider that an ethnicity. Dad's mom was from Salzburg and her last name was Steinberger. My dad and his siblings don't look stereotypically Jewish in any respect...and I certainly don't with my blondish, thin as **** hair (lol). Something I may look into someday. Don't know how many people had/have the name Steinberger and weren't/aren't Jewish though (in the share some common ancestory sense, not in the religious sense).

Can't think of one other ethnicity I would want to be over the rest. If I was part Dutch I may be closer to the height of some of my good buddies (6'2" and such)....would look better in pics for me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    PS: Albanians didn't migrate to Yugoslavia lol.. They are indigenous to the area and they speak their own language..

Bosniaks/Croats/Serbs are the same ethnicity, it's just religion has separated them.. Croats=Catholic, Bosniaks = Muslims, Serbs=Orthodox
    They actually did, Kosovo was first touched by Slavs, Serbs and was ruled by even Turks (Ottomans) sometime... Albanian presence in Kosovo and in ex. Yugoslavia is recorded since the medieval period, Albanians are/were Albanians... they came from their own grounds:

Albanians in history went into war trying to takeover that Kosovo (Slav/Serbian) territory against Serbs (and losed) and then Turks/Ottomans (and losed) and then Serbs again in the 90s trying to literally make Kosovo Albanian (and losed actually, but good ol USA came into the picture and made it possible).... so now, Kosovo (which is/was Slavic ground) is ruled by Albanians and all the Slavs and Serbs were forced to emigrate out of their own ***ing land to not risk getting killed....

There is a reason Serbs went Psycho on entire Yugoslavia (and probably hate USA lol) ...
    Last edited by pauk; 01-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    for some reason i'm kind of fascinated by the origins of people. feel like sharing?

1) what are your roots?

2) if you could have any particular extra roots in a culture / ethnicity of your choice, what would it be?

3) any particular comments about being the species that you are? like, positive or negative?

myself, i'm half peruvian (born there), one quarter german, one quarter english. but if i could add another influence, it would be celtic (like irish / scottish / welsh / old french) or asian (chinese or japanese). and yes, i'm proud to be peruvian, but still embarrassed that my spanish is so primitive (after age four i grew up in the USA).

you?
    1. My family is from the Soviet Union, mostly around Ukraine/Belarus area. I was born in Latvia, ethnically and culturally I am a Russian Jew.

2. Nothing, I got good athleticism and a good head on my shoulders. I don't need some other ethnicity mixed in throwing off the balance.

3. I dislike the fact that many of my "species" are Zionists, which is a completely idiotic viewpoint especially if you don't live in Israel. Also don't like that a lot of people from Russia are racist. I like the rep Russians get in America (well sort of), I don't like the whole Russian mafia bullshit, but I enjoy that people think we're fun and like to drink. Which is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    1. My family is from the Soviet Union, mostly around Ukraine/Belarus area. I was born in Latvia, ethnically and culturally I am a Russian Jew.

2. Nothing, I got good athleticism and a good head on my shoulders. I don't need some other ethnicity mixed in throwing off the balance.

3. I dislike the fact that many of my "species" are Zionists, which is a completely idiotic viewpoint especially if you don't live in Israel. Also don't like that a lot of people from Russia are racist. I like the rep Russians get in America (well sort of), I don't like the whole Russian mafia bullshit, but I enjoy that people think we're fun and like to drink. Which is true.
    It is crazy how the first thing people mention when i tell them I'm Somali is something about pirates or black hawk down. Also I forgot to mentioned in my original post that I wish I could appreciate somali poetry and music more.

1) what are your roots?

1st gen American. Irish/British parents

2) if you could have any particular extra roots in a culture / ethnicity of your choice, what would it be?

none. I am content with who I am

3) any particular comments about being the species that you are? like, positive or negative?

Only negative really is that the food of the English/Irish isn't anything to write home about, but it's a fascinating culture and Ireland especially has a very warm and accepting culture

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Because:

On a more serious note, Albanians are a completely different ethnicity from us SLAVS (Croats, Slovenians, Serbs, Bosnians, Macedonians, Montenegrins)... so it might have something to do with that
    Most Montenegrins and Northern Albanians are the same people. Many come from the same tribes. Same mountain traditions, culture, and etc. Basically Montenigrins are Albanians in denial. Like the guy in your picture, a typical dinarid looking Albanian male.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    They actually did, Kosovo was first touched by Slavs, Serbs and was ruled by even Turks (Ottomans) sometime... Albanian presence in Kosovo and in ex. Yugoslavia is recorded since the medieval period, Albanians are/were Albanians... they came from their own grounds:

Albanians in history went into war trying to takeover that Kosovo (Slav/Serbian) territory against Serbs (and losed) and then Turks/Ottomans (and losed) and then Serbs again in the 90s trying to literally make Kosovo Albanian (and losed actually, but good ol USA came into the picture and made it possible).... so now, Kosovo (which is/was Slavic ground) is ruled by Albanians and all the Slavs and Serbs were forced to emigrate out of their own ***ing land to not risk getting killed....

There is a reason Serbs went Psycho on entire Yugoslavia (and probably hate USA lol) ...
    Sorry Albanians are regarded as indigenous to the area by most historians/scholars. While South Slavs are products of Slavic invaders from 700 AD or so.
    Last edited by ALBballer; 01-05-2013 at 03:32 AM.

1. See Username and figure it out. 100% (as far as I know)
    2. None
    3. We are better than you.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

A lot of people don't like being called African American, and neither do I. Mainly because I'm Swedish and Latvian.

   

thanks for all the awesome replies. great stuff...

@dolphin,
    it's an interesting thing about the german names that make their way to the states. i mean, because of the pre-WWI and pre-WWII diasporas, i think most german names in the USA turn out to be around 75% jewish in origin.

but the names themselves are still german, you know? for example, "stein" means stone, and "berg" or "burg" means mountain. so i think "steinberger" was probably a mountaineering guide in the german alps, or something like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
    A lot of people don't like being called African American, and neither do I. Mainly because I'm Swedish and Latvian.
    thats because you are african-european

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    thats because you are african-european
    I have never really seen African European used because most European blacks can still be distinguished ethnically.

1) what are your roots?

Dad is 100% Sudanese. Mom is half Turkish, half Sudanese, which makes me 1/4 Turk, 3/4 Sudanese. (very common, there is a tribe in Sudan that migrated from Turkey hence the otherwise odd at first glance mix)

Anything from West Africa. Dem boys are born like they been in the gym their entire life lollll

Positive: Our women are amazingly sexy.

Negative: I'm from the Republic of Sudan. which now differs from the newly established South Sudan. We speak arabic and as such have used it to justify many years of racist and violent actions against people of the South, Darfur especially. Other than the language and religious differences there is not much that differs, making these racist attitudes ridiculous and shameful. Years of genocide of the our neighbours to the South are one of the main reasons I would hesitate to take pride, if only for a moment, in where I'm from.
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 01-06-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: mistake