Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    SNL iz wack now
    it has been wack for while now

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZoPunde
    it has been wack for while now

People have been saying the same shit about SNL since 1980. People complain about the current cast, and then usually reflect on those times fondly even though many complained at the time. People complained in the early 90s when they had Hartman, Farley, Myers, etc; then Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Morgan, Hammond, Gasteyer, etc, came along and people complained they weren't the early 90s cast; then Fallon, Fey, Forte, Hammond, etc and people complained about missing the late 90s cast; then Sandberg, Hader, Sadeikis, etc., joined and people complained; and now people miss them and there is a new cast. In 5 years or so, people will say the show is not the same without Killam, Moynihan, Pharoah, McKinnon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Nostalgia is the GOAT drug, Myth.
    Yeah, and people tend to only remember the good skits. Every season is filled with episodes that only have 1 or 2 really good skits, but years later all they remember is those great skits.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    People have been saying the same shit about SNL since 1980. People complain about the current cast, and then usually reflect on those times fondly even though many complained at the time. People complained in the early 90s when they had Hartman, Farley, Myers, etc; then Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Morgan, Hammond, Gasteyer, etc, came along and people complained they weren't the early 90s cast; then Fallon, Fey, Forte, Hammond, etc and people complained about missing the late 90s cast; then Sandberg, Hader, Sadeikis, etc., joined and people complained; and now people miss them and there is a new cast. In 5 years or so, people will say the show is not the same without Killam, Moynihan, Pharoah, McKinnon, etc.
    QFT. took the words right off my mouth.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Aubrey performed well

Quote Originally Posted by CeilingFan#1
    They are both consistently great on the show.
    What are their names? I might start the series up again just because of those two.

Yeah, and people tend to only remember the good skits. Every season is filled with episodes that only have 1 or 2 really good skits, but years later all they remember is those great skits.

I think the element that's missing from the show now is actors who can create and develop hilarious characters. the Dana Carveys, Will Ferrells, Mike Myers who've made characters popular like Church Lady, Hans and Frans, Titans Spirits, Wayne's World.....
    I used to look forward to seeing these characters from week to week. Most of the material now is making fun of current events, pop culture and celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    What are their names? I might start the series up again just because of those two.
    Taran Killum and Kate McKinnon.

The people worth watching for IMO are:
    Killum
    McKinnon
    Bobby Moynihan
    Aidy Bryant (essentially a female Bobby Moynihan)

Jay Pharoah is slowly improving. Much of the remaining cast is Ok, meaning they don't have stand out performances too often, but at least they aren't too annoying (Kyle Mooney could get really annoying though if he gets more air time).

Taran Killum and Kate McKinnon.

The people worth watching for IMO are:
    Killum
    McKinnon
    Bobby Moynihan
    Aidy Bryant (essentially a female Bobby Moynihan)

Jay Pharoah is slowly improving. Much of the remaining cast is Ok, meaning they don't have stand out performances too often, but at least they aren't too annoying (Kyle Mooney could get really annoying though if he gets more air time).
    damn that dude is hilarious!
    I've caught 2 shows with him, the last one and the Jimmy Fallon one. He did an impression of Aston Kutcher that killed it! He's so Dana Carveyesque in the ways he not only can imitate, but can overact their quirks and make it even funnier. I hope the writers can give him a signature character (does he already have one?).
    he's got me back interested in the show. That Kate McKinnon impression of Beiber She's a keeper too. Sheri Oteri like

Drake is the boss

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    Pharoah is strictly SNL's Obama and nothing else at this point. The only recurring non-celebrity character he has now is Principal Frye.
    I'd say strictly impersonations (mostly Obama and rappers), and yeah, his Principle Frye character is his only original recurring character I can think of. I'm not a huge fan of him, and have criticized him for being a good impressionist but subpar comedian, but he is slowly getting in some funny moments with 1-time only characters in the digital short type stuff (e.g., I laughed hard at this sex toys obsessed character in Resolution/Revolution). I'd much rather have a funny bad impression (Ferrell as Bush for example) than good impressions that are not funny.

I think the element that's missing from the show now is actors who can create and develop hilarious characters. the Dana Carveys, Will Ferrells, Mike Myers who've made characters popular like Church Lady, Hans and Frans, Titans Spirits, Wayne's World.....
    I used to look forward to seeing these characters from week to week. Most of the material now is making fun of current events, pop culture and celebrities.
    I don't think any of the current cast members have the talent of Carvey or Ferrell, so I'm not holding out for character's of their quality (although characters are sometimes over used so I don't mind too much). I think part of the reason that it is hard to come up with characters is that so much of the cast is new and have not had time to get their characters repeating enough. For example, Beck Bennett had a hilarious character as a man in a baby's body that I believe will be a recurring character, but he is brand new and hasn't had time to do the character again yet.

Here is a list of recurring characters that shows they still do plenty of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurri...s_and_sketches

My favorite recurring characters/skits currently are Anthony Cripino and Drunk Uncle (both Moynihan), Jebidiah Atkinson (Killam), Employee Termination Call-Outs (Moynihan & Strong), Girlfriends Talk Show (I hate Strong in this, but Aidy Bryant makes up for Strong), and Principle Frye (Pharoah).

J-Pop America Fun Time Now and What Up With That are 2 skits that featured current cast members, but have been retired due to supporting cast members leaving. There are other skits recurring skits that were good that have been put to rest due to other cast members leaving. For example, Killam killed the Merryville Carnival Ride skits, but it wouldn't be the same with Hader gone. Given time, the current cast will continue creating new characters as has always ocurred on SNL. For many of them, this is the first year that they are seen as the stars that writers want to write for, so even those who have been around for a while weren't always front and center with their characters due to veteran bias.

damn that dude is hilarious!
    I've caught 2 shows with him, the last one and the Jimmy Fallon one. He did an impression of Aston Kutcher that killed it! He's so Dana Carveyesque in the ways he not only can imitate, but can overact their quirks and make it even funnier. I hope the writers can give him a signature character (does he already have one?).
    he's got me back interested in the show. That Kate McKinnon impression of Beiber She's a keeper too. Sheri Oteri like
    I think Oteri is a good comparison for McKinnon because of the energy they bring. Oteri was a little more energetic, and McKinnon is a little better at impressions.

Killum is probably the most talented (although Moynihan's delivery gets me the most), and I agree with your assessment of him. In his first couple episodes I had him pegged as Hader's eventual replacement. He has stood out with his impressions (that are funny and pretty accurate) and his digital short songs. I wouldn't say he has a signature character, but as I said before, his Jebidiah Atkinson is funny (a weekend update character), and he killed the Merryville Carnival Ride skits that are now defunct.

Additional note: He is married to Colbie Smulders.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng

Bad enough?
    That is one of my favorites of his, and it is probably because he hams it up a bit more than his other impressions.

For X-men nerds (Killam): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8i1OhOimc