Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Nintendo Wii U has failed

Maybe they should get with the times and stop using ancient tech. That shit rubs developers the wrong way.

So much potential. If only they had simply:

1. $200 launch price for the console.
    2. Release Super Mario 3d Land, Smash Bros, Wii Sports Club and Mario Kart in a year.
    3. A new Zelda and a new Metroid within 2 years.
    4. Reiterate the Gamecube controller.

The thing is, in terms of performance the Wii-U isn't even ahead of the 360. If using old tech translated to a very low price point and having a good amount of games for it, this would have been a sound strategy. They still have appeal to families with younger children, Nintendo fans, some of the people who remember they had fun with the Wii and "hardcore gamers" who want a 2nd console. At a (very realistic and profitable) price point of $200 they could have scooped up a bunch of market share.
    But nope. They had to release the system with an expensive tablet-controller that nobody wants, resulting in a not at all competitive price and a confusing system overall. Just terrible, Nintendo snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    So much potential. If only they had simply:

1. $200 launch price for the console.
    2. Release Super Mario 3d Land, Smash Bros, Wii Sports Club and Mario Kart in a year.
    3. A new Zelda and a new Metroid within 2 years.
    4. Reiterate the Gamecube controller.

The thing is, in terms of performance the Wii-U isn't even ahead of the 360. If using old tech translated to a very low price point and having a good amount of games for it, this would have been a sound strategy. They still have appeal to families with younger children, Nintendo fans, some of the people who remember they had fun with the Wii and "hardcore gamers" who want a 2nd console. At a (very realistic and profitable) price point of $200 they could have scooped up a bunch of market share.
    But nope. They had to release the system with an expensive tablet-controller that nobody wants, resulting in a not at all competitive price and a confusing system overall. Just terrible, Nintendo snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

It has more horsepower than the 360 and ps3 but not as much as the xbox one or ps4. And they do have a pro-controller.

Nintendo fans don't give a sh*t about horsepower though. We just care about first party nintendo titles which are always consistently great.

3d world and pikmin 3 were phenomenal games. The gamepad is great because my wife can watch her stupid shows and I can sit next to her and play 3dworld, AC4, etc.

I have a PS3 and i like it, but there hasn't been any games that I think are as polished and well done as the nintendo titles. The Battlefields, Bioshocks, Skyrim, GTA, etc., all very good but i find myself gaming more on the Wii U specifically because of that off tv feature of the gamepad.

Banned

What they should do with the next Nintendo device is get rid of the gamepad and the motion sensor controller bullshit and be a console more like the PS4 and Xbox One with a next-gen system. If they can have all the games that the PS4 and Xbox One get like 2K, Battlefield, GTA, FIFA etc. along with all their exclusives, they would get a lot of sales. Have it like the Gamecube was.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    It has more horsepower than the 360 and ps3 but not as much as the xbox one or ps4. And they do have a pro-controller.

Nintendo fans don't give a sh*t about horsepower though. We just care about first party nintendo titles which are always consistently great.

3d world and pikmin 3 were phenomenal games. The gamepad is great because my wife can watch her stupid shows and I can sit next to her and play 3dworld, AC4, etc.

I have a PS3 and i like it, but there hasn't been any games that I think are as polished and well done as the nintendo titles. The Battlefields, Bioshocks, Skyrim, GTA, etc., all very good but i find myself gaming more on the Wii U specifically because of that off tv feature of the gamepad.
    It's great that you are one of the few people who like it, but that's besides the point. The thread is about the Wii U being a massive commercial failure and I'm just outlining some mistakes in Nintendo's strategy. I love Nintendo's games myself, don't get me wrong.

If it has more power than the old-gen it's only marginal. It's comparable to the 360 and PS3 and not at all in the same race as the Xbox One/PS4. Which is fine, it's actually a very sensible business decision to not directly compete with the other systems. But like I said, the upside of that 8 year old hardware should be a very low pricepoint. They really dropped the ball when it comes to that. A $200 console or even slightly lower would be completely viable without the gamepad, and it would be a lot more succesful if you ask me.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's great that you are one of the few people who like it, but that's besides the point. The thread is about the Wii U being a massive commercial failure and I'm just outlining some mistakes in Nintendo's strategy. I love Nintendo's games myself, don't get me wrong.

If it has more power than the old-gen it's only marginal. It's comparable to the 360 and PS3 and not at all in the same race as the Xbox One/PS4. Which is fine, it's actually a very sensible business decision to not directly compete with the other systems. But like I said, the upside of that 8 year old hardware should be a very low pricepoint. They really dropped the ball when it comes to that. A $200 console or even slightly lower would be completely viable without the gamepad, and it would be a lot more succesful if you ask me.

eh, it's a commercial failure but its not really significant to nintendo. They are still a powerhouse, they have no debt, billions in cash reserves and they print money with the handhelds.

I agree with nintendo on not doing a horsepower race with sony and microsoft and i think they should continue to try and innovate.

The gamepad is great but not really for the reasons nintendo really intended. Like i said that offtv is really a great feature but even nintendo themselves isn't going out of there way to utilize its features.

i heard a rumor that this gamepad was actually designed around/for the new zelda U title. Prior to launch, it was said that the Wii U can actually support two gamepads at once and Nintendo will eventually sell the gamepads on their own. it will be interesting to see what they do.

For pretty much 99% of the games (and I think all of the major releases W101 is the only possible exception) you can use the pro controller. The Tablet isn't an issue if you don't like it.

Banned

I didn't even know this system came out. I don't know a soul who has it.

I got nostalgic love for Nintendo but they really need to re-think their shit, all of their core audience is adults now and want adult games, not all obsolete graphics on some PG Disney cartoon shit. yeah, i'll always want to play the new Mario kart and i'll always be curious about Mario, Zelda, Metroid type games but they need to come off the family gaming system shit and maintain industry standard so they don't get shit on by ps and xbox

definitely time to start letting other hardware companies fck with their software. like dude said, give me Mario kart on my ps4, there's a handful of games you're a lock to get $50-60 bucks out of all the old heads off of every system.

Their sacking because they failed us at the release of the original wii. No 1080p? Come on. They deserve it. Their to cheap to make a good console.

Banned

it really is puzzling why they'd continue to run with inferior hardware. we got the ps3 just because it was a bluray player and roku box essentially, not wild about their content but certainly not buying another Nintendo product until they shape up

Banned

I guess we'll know they figured it out when you can play Zelda Iphone.

I for one want to see Peaches from Mario Bros do a dirty ass sex game for xbox, slap her ass combos and shit

I'm considering getting a wii u. I actually want the main titles. Is there super smash for wii u? Mario party? Can it play wii or gamecube games?

Can I play online against people with the wii u? Can I navigate away from the TV and play the console using the game pad without the console being on? Basically playing the game pad like a psp? How are the graphics know the game pad?

I've been thinking long and hard on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Can I navigate away from the TV and play the console using the game pad without the console being on? Basically playing the game pad like a psp? How are the graphics know the game pad?
    You can navigate away to a certain extent, but the console has to be on. Basically it'll stop working if you're too far. You can be a couple of rooms over but that's about it. Graphics are about the same quality as you would see on TV.

Banned

isn't this offtv feature similar to the ps4 letting you play on your psp or if it's so someone can game and watch tv can't you do that with the xbox snap features?
    I don't mind nintendo using lower specced hardware as it's usually their own games that sell the system rather than relying on 3rd party multi platform release but this time I think they missed the mark. I don't know anyone who owns a wii u (i've owned 2 wiis, have 3 right now with my girlfriends in my place, bought one on launch night, have multiple friends/family members who have them) and I think when they were launching they didn't have a single new feature that sounded like it was pushing things into a new generation. The wii showed that next gen doesn't need to be all about graphics but this console just didn't seem to have any wow factor about new tech or features at all for me and my friends.

I want I see some popular releases of titles and more titles being produced otherwise I'll get a ps4. I love Nintendos exclusives.