Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Default Next years raptors

I am loving the season and hope for a division title and first round playoff win. All would be great towards building for the future. This is not a now team, but performing well now and developing an excellent culture has really helped set the stage for future years.
    Continuity is a key element to the raps improving. The re-signing of Lowry is a must. This would be my raptors wish list for this season off season.

Re-sign lowry at 4 years and 40 million. Give Vaz the qualifying offer and that gives you two good point guards.
    As much as I think he has really helped, Buy out Salmons for 1 mill and if it works for both parties, sign him for 2 years at 2.5 mill per year. If it doesn't work out you have a younger, more athletic version of him in Fields. Fields is pretty much untradeable, and I really think that his character and professionalism is overlooked.

Re-sign Patrick Patterson.
    Essentially, standing pat is the right move and wait for Fields and Hayes and Hansbrough and Amir to come off the books at the end of next year and make a splash in free-agency in 2015. If you love those guys you sign them over the cap and pay the tax. I'm thinking that Amir would be that guy and maybe fields on a discounted price, if he can get consistent rotation minutes next year and become a piece to the future off the bench.

Summer of 2015 could look like this.
    lowry, Vaz Drafted perimeter player, best player available
    Derozen, Fields
    Ross, Fields, Novak
    amir Patterson,
    Val Drafted center Star free-agent, or package draft picks and a player for a star. That
    knicks pick could prove very valuable. Ideally, a combo forward would be ideal. Somebody who could play the 4-5. Or somebody who could play the three/four. Amir and Patterson as your first two posts off the bench on a contending team would be solid. As long as the new starter could play some center.

Lowry, Vaz Drafted point guard and Byucks
    derozen, Fields Stone
    Ross Fields Novak Salmons? or draft pick wing or Free-agent wing
    Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    Val, Hayes Free-agent center or drafted center

What are your thoughts on draft picks? I am also quite intrigued about our future Knicks draft pick. Bargnani is the gift that might keep on giving.
    If Derozen can maintain all-star status and lowry can keep doing what he has done this year. The key to getting into championship status is huge growth/ allstar status from either Ross/ Val or both. If one of them can emerge as an all-star then the future is looking very bright. Val must become a defensive force, which is still a few years in coming. Add to that a possible free-agent piece in 2015 and solid, smart drafting and this young raptors team could become a perennial contender.

They will need some luck and big jumps from Ross and Val, but if the stars align, raps could be emerging just as Miami and Indiana's window closes.
    Last edited by barkleynash; 03-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Default Re: Next years raptors

Qualifying Offer | Team Option | Player Option | Unguaranteed | Early Termination

Derozan $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000
    Salmons $7,583,000 $7,000,000 Can buyout for 1 mill.
    Johnson $6,500,000 $7,000,000 Unrestricted after next year
    Fields $6,250,000 $6,250,000 Unrestricted after next year
    Lowry $6,210,000 Unrestricted this year
    Hayes $5,722,500 $5,958,750 Unrestricted after next year
    Novak $3,750,001 $3,445,947 $3,750,001
    Valanciunas $3,526,440 $3,678,360 $4,660,482 $6,179,799
    Hansbrough $3,183,000 $3,326,235 Unrestricted after next year
    Patterson $3,105,301 $4,319,474 -qualifying offer restricted
    Camby* $2,763,054 $646,609 Has a small hit on next years cap
    Ross $2,678,640 $2,793,960 $3,553,917 $4,790,680
    Vasquez $2,150,188 $3,203,780 - qualifying offer restricted
    Stone $884,293 $948,163 end of roster filler
    Buycks $700,000 $816,482 $1,147,276 end of roster filler
    De Colo is unrestricted- could be re-signed, maybe the third pg

Raps have excellent financial flexibility. Summer of 2015 they could have amir, hansbrough, Patterson, vaz, fields and hayes, stone, byucks coming off the books.
    About 28 million in total. Yes some of those guys will be re-signed, but that still gives room for roster flexibility. We have all our first rounders, plus the knicks first rounder in 2016.

Local High School Star

Playing GM for a minute here.

[COLOR="Purple"]Not quite so rosy. [/COLOR]

1) Klow signs for avg of $10.5M per year. ..estimate $5Mill cap hit

2) Qualify Vasquez/Patterson... estimate $5Mill cap hit

3) Ross/Val get raises. ~ neutral

4) We work really hard to unload Landry Fields ([COLOR="Purple"]$7.5Mill cap hit due to averaging I think[/COLOR]) but end up have to pay a portion of salary and or take back a middling contract./ swap some 2nd rounders etc etc .. estimate $2million cap hit.

$12Million cap hits in 2014-5 plus a draft pick.

This means two of four have to go:
    1) Amir
    2) Salmons
    3) Hansboro
    4) Novak

..but we have the pick and then 2 picks in 15/16.

I assume we keep the first two on the basis that both players are willing to resign for a little stability. $5Mill per year for 4 years against each of them to be on "a franchise on the upswing" and have more guarenteed years. Amir I think for sure / Salmons not so certain.

Hansboro / Novak move potentially with Fields for example.

Bottom line is there isnt that much room and flexability unless the picks come up and elimintate the need for : 1) Ross/Vasquez/Patterson.

Above all to the "mighty Q's" point.. do NOT over value this roster. Good team good players for now but not championship material...There is lots of room to improve in talent upgrades through the draft and trades.
    Last edited by Jballer; 03-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.

I'm pretty happy with our roster this season.

Even guys at the end of the bench are pretty high quality for being the 12th, 13th guy on your roster.

I would definitely let salmons go (I prefer fields). Other than Salmons I would retain all the options/rfa's including PsychoT, PatPat, Vazquez.

There are two areas I look to upgrade: starting PF and end of the bench C.

I am willing to let one of Amir or PatPat go in order to upgrade.

There isn't a lot on the free agent market for the raps. I would make a hard push to bring bosh back (totally serious) and if that fails go for a low risk, high reward contract with a player like Andray Blatche.
    Last edited by bluerap; 03-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Local High School Star

^^ nothing wrong with that ..

Actually we may agree

I think that Salmon > Fields is an assumption on my part not a contribution judgement. I think Salmons is near the twilight of his career and given the press / performance he may be inclined to stay on for more years less money. Fields therefore is the one out.

Patterson > Hansborough.. and Amir > both ...much the same although the money is closer. More around the thought that the qulaifying offer on BigP allows us to retain Bird rights (??? I think). Amir too is in a similar situation as Salmon... we overpayed to get him / keep him but if he likes it here and knows he has a role... he wil stay. Ergo Hansboro is odd man out. Not so much a contribution calculation as a numbers game.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Some part of me still doubts Lowry, partly due to this year being his contract year. Another being his injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    ^^ nothing wrong with that ..

Actually we may agree

I think that Salmon > Fields is an assumption on my part not a contribution judgement. I think Salmons is near the twilight of his career and given the press / performance he may be inclined to stay on for more years less money. Fields therefore is the one out.

Patterson > Hansborough.. and Amir > both ...much the same although the money is closer. More around the thought that the qulaifying offer on BigP allows us to retain Bird rights (??? I think). Amir too is in a similar situation as Salmon... we overpayed to get him / keep him but if he likes it here and knows he has a role... he wil stay. Ergo Hansboro is odd man out. Not so much a contribution calculation as a numbers game.
    Difference is that we have Fields on a guaranteed contract for another year. Salmons only has 1 million guaranteed on his 7 million contract next year. So no way we are picking up the extra 6. Maybe they work an extension for better money, but I hope not.

Agree Amir>Pat>Hans. But Amir makes the most money next year so he may have to be the one to go if we can find a legit star PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Some part of me still doubts Lowry, partly due to this year being his contract year. Another being his injury history.
    Definitely a gamble. I think Lowry has turned a corner and will be a great player for the next 3-4 years, but I could definitely be wrong about that one.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Difference is that we have Fields on a guaranteed contract for another year. Salmons only has 1 million guaranteed on his 7 million contract next year. So no way we are picking up the extra 6. Maybe they work an extension for better money, but I hope not.
    Yep but the three year math under that assumption works my way.

Salmons 1million buyout 7 Million option becomes 5/5/5 = 15Million

Fields maybe signs for 4 Million (??) but 7.5 (cap hit number due to average) / 4 / 4/ = 15.5 Million

(Actually if I recall his cap hit is actually > $7.5 not sure)

So unless we assume the Fields < 4Million (??maybe) and no other team would come to party at 4 Million per (??maybe) the Salmons deal is actually the better one. Further 7.5 expiring is worth more as part of trade package than 1million buyout and gone (see your note on PF).

Finally for the half million less you get Salmons veteren pressence evidently respected by the team. He is the only guy with any playoff experience and doesnt have a history of "elbow nerve damage". Does this make Salmons > Fields ? Marginally / maybe at best but not enough that it is even worth a debate. The contribution both ways is simply bench behind Derozan / Ross

Salmons is probably the right contract to keep all things being equal.
    Last edited by Jballer; 03-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.

But we are stuck with Fields because he is already signed for next year

You want to give a 31 year old john salmons 15 million

Did you see the game tonight? He is an irrelevant player. If you want him as a leader in the locker room you can get lots of guys to do that for the veteran's minimum. And we already have Chuck Hayes for that.

If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can) I still want no part of resigning Salmons. This team needs a 3 off the bench that can guard the bigger swingmen and hopefully produce a little offence. Salmons can do neither. I don't see why anyone says he is a good defender, he gets torched consistently. End of rant.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

There is no reason to bring back John Salmons whether Fields is here or not.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    You want to give a 31 year old john salmons 15 million

If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can) I still want no part of resigning Salmons.
    1) Salmons $15 Million ?

Answer Alvin Williams. Yep has happened and will happen again.

2) If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can)

I guess this is the heart of the disagreement. I think Fields is a moveable asset to some team especially with an expiring contract and or Novak as well. In the short term.

I think Salmons at $5 per is a marketable asset with a $15M deal as well..so you have options.

3) I still want no part of resigning Salmons

Sure willing to concede you your opinion.

Who else ? Fields only for 1 year ?

My take is you have to have 12 signed say 14/15 on the bench by the Collective Bargaining agreement. Salmons is good enough at the right price. Not gonna quibble though I just cant think of any FA I would want instead....unless there is a D leaguer we could target.

We certainly dont need more subpar PGs....

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
    There is no reason to bring back John Salmons whether Fields is here or not.
    Collective barginging agreement.

I really dont want a bench made up of D Leaguers and more PGs of questionable talent.

Salmons is shooting 37% averaging 5 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds. We could find better fillers for 2-3 million. He's no Alvin Williams, he's completely expendable.

Keep these players:

Lowry
    DeRozan
    Johnson
    Ross
    Valanciunas
    Patterson
    Vasquez

Find needs for:

-Size at SF and C off the bench. Two way players at both positions. Low post scoring threat would be the biggest need.

I don't mind keeping some veteran presence, but obviously not at the range of what Salmons has next year. I wouldn't mind Hayes mentoring Jonas. I would also like to see De Colo get some playing time.