Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why do some GMs appear to be so dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    That's the type of answer I'm looking for. Not that this "you don't know anything, they know more than you do" bullshit that I got out of the way in the first post.....

If you could have just said something like that from the start, instead of making this GM vs. internet poster (which I clearly tried to avoid), this thread would have run more smoothly. But I guess every thread needs a jackass to stir stuff up.
    You "clearly tried to avoid that" by playing both sides of the fence. On one hand, you said fans are dumb. On the other you said GMs are dumb. What response was supposed to be acceptable to you?

I never pointed a finger at "YOU"; I clearly included all fans, by using phrases like "most fans", "the average ISH poster", etc.

The only person who has resorted to personal attacks is you, and you continue to do so even when we've reached a point where you're satisfied with my answer to your question.

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

So, basically, I should have rephrased to "NBA front offices" instead of NBA GMs? I can see where you're coming from.
    I think someone like OTIS never consults with anyone, or if he does, it's van dummy who is a yes man. There is no way a group of guys could be making this bad moves over and over. unless he has a bunch of yes men working for him.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    You "clearly tried to avoid that" by playing both sides of the fence. On one hand, you said fans are dumb. On the other you said GMs are dumb. What response was supposed to be acceptable to you?
    Just a simple response to my rant. I didn't need to be told that GMs know more than fans since I already stated so. And I'm not playing both sides of the fence. There are dumb fans and smart fans. That's a fact. There are good GMs and bad GMs. That's a fact. Stating facts = playing both sides? Guess we all do then.

I never pointed a finger at "YOU"; I clearly included all fans, by using phrases like "most fans", "the average ISH poster", etc.
    I wasn't literally saying you were pointing the finger at me, but the point is still the same. This was not meant to be a "what do fans knows vs. what do GMs know" debate.

The only person who has resorted to personal attacks is you, and you continue to do so even when we've reached a point where you're satisfied with my answer to your question.
    Okay. And?

And?
    And your insistence on continuing to bitch at someone you've admitted has given you the type of response you desired makes it obvious who the jackass is that's only trying to stir things up.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Who do some GMs appear to be so dumb?
    I liken them to the Wall Street banker CEOs and board members who destroyed the world economy - they're not particularly smart, they just know how to work their way to the top.

Banned

the wrath of kahn

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

OP, so you look at yourself and think that you're not qualified to question the judgement of a guy who works in SPORTS?!

GM's work in SPORTS!!

NOT FINANCE

NOT ACCOUNTING

NOT THE MEDICAL FIELD

SPORTS!!!!

All it's about is knowing who can play and who can't. If I would've ran the Knicks the past few years I would've done a better job than Isiah Thomas, and even better than Donnie Walsh (in the draft atleast).

This is about judging talent, and if you watch the game and you know the game, you are just as qualified as a GM.

99% of these GM's don't have a specialized degree in some sort of sports field, and even if they did...it's still a subjective job. The only GM that I now of that doesn't base decisions on his opinion from watching an athlete play is Darryl Morey who has some kind of degree in Statistics.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Being a lifelong Cowboys fan makes me appreciate Sam Presti that much more. Dude is a mastermind of putting a team together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    No they wouldnt. a lot of the job is just common sense, luck, and situaiton, Like if I were running the cavs in 03 id have taken anyone but Lebron...

GMs make the big calls...at least have a say in them with the owners and coaches. But they dont really have to figure out who is good and who sucks. They have scouts, coaches, and common knowledge to lean on.

There is probably more to learn about keeping all the egos in check than basketball. You dont need to know the game terribly well to pick who your 11 scouts are raving about. Or to know a well known coach knows a thing or two. Or to call someone and ask about an assistant the league has beentalking about for 10 years.

These guys arent working alone.
    So you would have decided to take "anyone but LeBron"? What happened to the 11 scouts that are raving about him, as all the scouts were at the time?

Think Darko would have kept you in a job?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
    I think i can be a better Gm than this guy No hindsight needed, this guy every move he makes is just horrible. I think the Magic fans should demand he makes his moves public before pulling the trigger so they can approve or disaprove of them
    Otis Smith is a dumbshit.

Banned

Because they are afraid of getting fired due to luxury taxes, bad deals, backlash from fans, etc.

As Bill Simmons would say, the reason the NBA sucks these days is because it's the No Balls Association.

NBA Superstar

i don't think the Orlando trade was as bad when it went down as it is now. Don't forget a lot of people including Otis thought Arenas was just playing hurt, and how he was some top PG if he were healthy(not me just saying). And they were going nowhere with Rashard Lewis and Vince was clearly on his last legs, even the Sun's are buying him out. The irony is him and Gilbert are tight, and Gilbert is the one that will probably get him fired.

Now the JJ signing on the other hand...

And your insistence on continuing to bitch at someone you've admitted has given you the type of response you desired makes it obvious who the jackass is that's only trying to stir things up.
    I'm not bitching about anything. I called you a jackass because you were fixated fan vs. GM aspect of this thing. I readily admitted that fans don't know as much as GMs. Maybe I shouldn't have called you a jackass, and I apologize for that, but I don't back off what I said. I kinda regret saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    OP, so you look at yourself and think that you're not qualified to question the judgement of a guy who works in SPORTS?!

GM's work in SPORTS!!

NOT FINANCE

NOT ACCOUNTING

NOT THE MEDICAL FIELD

SPORTS!!!!

All it's about is knowing who can play and who can't. If I would've ran the Knicks the past few years I would've done a better job than Isiah Thomas, and even better than Donnie Walsh (in the draft atleast).

This is about judging talent, and if you watch the game and you know the game, you are just as qualified as a GM.

99% of these GM's don't have a specialized degree in some sort of sports field, and even if they did...it's still a subjective job. The only GM that I now of that doesn't base decisions on his opinion from watching an athlete play is Darryl Morey who has some kind of degree in Statistics.
    That's entirely not true. Their sole job is more than evaluating talent and making rosters, if I'm not mistaken. It is the biggest part of their job, however.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So you would have decided to take "anyone but LeBron"? What happened to the 11 scouts that are raving about him, as all the scouts were at the time?

Think Darko would have kept you in a job?

Im sure I left out some punctuation in there somewhere but what I was saying is....I would take Lebron. Anyone would. And it wouldnt take a deep knowledge of the game to do so. Though I remember clearly reading Chad Ford say he spoke to 2 GMS who would have taken Darko over Lebron.

So....these arent just...brilliant people. They dont have to be. Im thinking just listening and having a personality that can keep those under you in line would be enough.

I would say the average GM knows more than most fans. The usually come from the game. But a fan could do much of what they have to do decisionmaking wise and not result in the worst team of all time.